PDA

View Full Version : Shop HVAC Options - Mitsubishi Ductless

Wakepowell
07-16-2015, 06:39 PM
My shop is 3,900 SF and I am exploring options for heating and air conditioning. I'm leaning towards the Mitsubishi Ductless System mainly based on their efficiency, flexibility and appearance. Has anyone used this type system in their garage/shop? If so how well does it work. Thanks

RPOLS3
07-17-2015, 12:00 PM
Do they have units that can handle that large of an area? My experience with them on the commercial end is that are typically used in much smaller spaces for supplemental air conditioning. Not sure of their heating capabilities. One other issue to consider is that the units I am familiar with do not draw in any outside air.

Jake

Wakepowell
07-22-2015, 02:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RPOLS3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do they have units that can handle that large of an area? My experience with them on the commercial end is that are typically used in much smaller spaces for supplemental air conditioning. Not sure of their heating capabilities. One other issue to consider is that the units I am familiar with do not draw in any outside air.

Jake </div></div>

I've done several heat soak calculations and with the insulation and size of my shop I need approximately 60,000 btu's. My plan is to use 2 30,000 btu systems. With one on each side of the building. There are several systems with air handlers that accomplish this.

As far as outside air all HVAC systems I'm familiar with draw inside air for heating and cooling. I'd like to keep it that way so that I'm not heating and cooling outside air to room temperature.

Bill Pritchard
07-23-2015, 08:07 PM
A little over a year ago I installed a Daikin mini-split in my garage. I am sure that is the same type of unit as the Mitsubishi you are referring to. Has an outdoor compressor unit about the size of a suitcase, and then the unit that mounts on the wall inside. Being in the metro Phoenix area, needless to say, it gets darn warm here in the summer, and this unit handles it with the greatest of ease. Quiet, highly efficient, and amazingly economical. I have nothing but praise for it.

Wakepowell
07-29-2015, 10:48 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Pritchard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A little over a year ago I installed a Daikin mini-split in my garage. I am sure that is the same type of unit as the Mitsubishi you are referring to. Has an outdoor compressor unit about the size of a suitcase, and then the unit that mounts on the wall inside. Being in the metro Phoenix area, needless to say, it gets darn warm here in the summer, and this unit handles it with the greatest of ease. Quiet, highly efficient, and amazingly economical. I have nothing but praise for it.</div></div>

Thanks for the input. Dakin and LG both make mini-split systems that are comparable to the Mitsubishi. I went ahead and purchased two 36,000 BTU systems (equate to a 4.5 ton system). After all the research, this appears to be the most efficient way to heat and cool my garage. I'm looking forward to getting it next week. Now I need to break out my HVAC and electrical wiring skills to get it installed.

Wakepowell
08-09-2015, 03:33 AM
The Mitsubishi mini splits arrived on Friday. Now the fun of installation starts http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2015/08/full-13327-30219-mini_split_install_1.jpg

Wakepowell
08-25-2015, 02:22 AM
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2015/08/full-13327-30977-hvac_1.jpg
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2015/08/full-13327-30978-hvac_4.jpg
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2015/08/full-13327-30979-hvac_5.jpg

I was finally able to find some time to get my mini-split installation started. So far it is fairly straight forward. I should be complete next weekend and have the AC Company scheduled to perform the final connections and start the systems up.

Wakepowell
08-29-2015, 12:28 PM
Completed the installation yesterday and started the units up. It was 100 degrees yesterday and my shop cooled to 70 degrees quickly. I am amazed at how much air volume these wall units can move.

COPO
08-30-2015, 07:57 PM
Great info. Do you mind sharing what was the approx. cost to complete this project?

Wakepowell
08-31-2015, 11:59 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COPO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great info. Do you mind sharing what was the approx. cost to complete this project? </div></div>

I purchased the system from eComfort. The cost was $7,100 which included everything needed for the installation, air handlers, condensers, lines sets, and line hide system. The installation was straight forward and not that difficult. I ran the electrical, placed the concrete pads for the condensers, installed the air handles, ran the copper lines and installed the line hide. I paid a licensed dealer/installer to make the final copper connections, vacuum test the lines, purge the lines with nitrogen and then start them up.

COPO
09-02-2015, 05:19 PM
Sounds like a very reasonable investment to climatize your shop space. I'm sure it is now a much more pleasant environment to enjoy your toys. Thanks for sharing all of the information.