PDA

View Full Version : '66 ZL1 Corvette

scuncio
09-17-2015, 01:32 AM
Friend of mine told me he's interested in this ZL1 Corvette. Looks nice in the pics, but I'm wondering if the real-world value is anywhere near $75k. What do you guys think?

http://tinyurl.com/qgwxhe8

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODk5WDE2MDA=/z/5-IAAOSwHnFV6KFu/$_57.JPG

GTO_DON
09-17-2015, 01:50 AM
I don't think so. I'm with you. Nothing nostalgic about it. Nice looking but that's alot of jing

RAIIIT/A
09-17-2015, 04:21 AM
Originally a small block. Whats a nice NOM small block car worth? 50k?

olredalert
09-17-2015, 01:39 PM
----Joe,,,What exactly makes you think this car was a small-block? I see a 427/390 tach and an 80lb oil pressure guage which says to me big-block. What am I missing? Pretty nice car that should get out of its own way and has had a bunch of money spent on the drivetrain. If nothing else I see the value closer to that $75,000 figure.......Bill S

RAIIIT/A
09-17-2015, 04:15 PM
I asked him if it was originally a big block car. He said no... it still has the small fuel line. The guy he got it from did the engine swap.

GTO_DON
09-17-2015, 08:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: olredalert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">----Joe,,,What exactly makes you think this car was a small-block? I see a 427/390 tach and an 80lb oil pressure guage which says to me big-block. What am I missing? Pretty nice car that should get out of its own way and has had a bunch of money spent on the drivetrain. If nothing else I see the value closer to that $75,000 figure.......Bill S </div></div> If this is all true Bill then how come people tell me all the time my 67 real 427 corvette with a true nostalgic paint job and thousands of dollars spent on the drive train is only worth 40-45k. Does the custom paint kill it that much?. I think I need to try my hand on eBay and see if I can sell my car. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2015/09/full-887-31992-20150716_125533.jpg

luzl78
09-17-2015, 09:31 PM
Don, I absolutely love your paint on the vette. I would love to buy your car. I probably have that much in 67 l78 nos parts

scott s
09-17-2015, 10:15 PM
I dont think its out of line man that outta be a handful <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/3gears.gif

olredalert
09-18-2015, 02:18 PM
----Easy for me to say, Don, but you haven't found the right ass for the seat yet! Don't let the naysayers get to you. That car, if nothing else is 4 quarters and a paint job from being a $75ish Vette. Remember, yours is a coupe and that plays into the comparison to this convert too. With all that said, I wouldn't change a thing on your 67. Well, maybe Id pull the front bumpers like we all did back in the day. Love it, and would be proud to pull into any cruise-in......Bill S

olredalert
09-18-2015, 02:29 PM
----Joe,,, Maybe, but both fuel lines are 3/8ths, although small and big-block do differ a bit. If that's all he is basing it on, I think Id want to check the car out with my own eyes if I were interested. The car also has a big-block radiator support......Bill S

TimG
09-18-2015, 02:59 PM
Check the differential for the code stamped on it. Different codes for big vs small block differentials and caps vs U bolts. Rear sway bar evidence on big blocks, bigger front sway bar on big blocks. The tach says 327/350 horse OR 427/390 horse. Oil pressure gauge says 427/425 horse as only solid lifters got 80 pound oil pressure, so something has been changed. I'd go with the 1967 all day long, in the end, you can fix the body and paint issues. I like that '67.

olredalert
09-18-2015, 03:11 PM
----Tim,,,Im unsure about 67s but I think all 66 427/390 Corvettes had 80lb gauges. All your other info is right on as usual. I see the 66 as being a rich guys playtoy, not a car with judging aspirations, and Id take either one of these Vettes for sure!!!....Bill S

RAIIIT/A
09-18-2015, 04:24 PM
He told me it was originally a 327/350. He said several parts have been changes out for big block parts. Email the guy and ask him.

olredalert
09-18-2015, 06:03 PM
----Thanks, Joe,,,While I like the car I'm not a buyer, but I really appreciate your patience with me. I just kept seeing so many big-block specific doodads, and 66 is my favorite year as I had a 427/425 new as did my cousin. My wife, Jan and I still have our 66 427/390 that I talked her into buying in 1978. Its been featured here in the members rides section.....Bill S

MosportGreen66
09-18-2015, 08:22 PM
Here is my take...

The world hates modified Corvettes, sometimes I do too.

I want to love modified Corvettes because I am a proponent of individuality within the muscle car world. On this very website, I even once defended the owner of a new Camaro who put those goofy 25+ inch wheels on it after painting the thing a chrome/gold color stating the style shouldn't be ridiculed because it fits the 'rhetoric of hot rodding.' Fulfilling a vision or goal for car ownership is what makes this hobby tick. Promote diversity. Its healthy. My gripe with the modified Corvettes is multi-fold and lots of the reasons below resonate with others here and in the hobby.

(1) Expensive cost of fiberglass restoration [makes the balance of the restoration seem justifiable when it isn't cheap either]
(2) Social pressure or better a market belief that all Corvettes need to be NCRS/BG/frame off cars
(3) An uncorrected market for project cars/drivers/train wrecks/restamped cars priced at levels near or at their original/frame off/numbers matching kin
(4) A deficit of true craftsmen who can even restore fiberglass correctly monopolize the market for restorations
(5) Flooded market of fakes, clones, restamps
(6) The personal taste in being a purist [read: I like driving Corvettes in stock configuration].

Tony - The blue '66 on ebay is beautiful. Value is very tough to determine but a good starting point would be to total the cost of parts/restoration in the car just to establish a baseline. The nice thing about the auction style is the owner is accepting offers and because you couldn't buy, modify, and build a mid year Corvette convertible for that asking price, assuming the value fits the buyer's budget, I think you can't go wrong [assuming he doesn't want a #s correct car?]. Make sure the trim/vin tags are original. Good luck.

Don - you'll find a buyer for that car. It drove like a survivor on vintage bias ply tires. It appears you like cars that bring you back in time with radical modifications. Awesome - that is what the hobby is about but this is an apples to dump trucks comparison. The blue car is stock appearing - your '67 is not. The '67 has a microscopic market. Could be the market views it more of a project than a hot rod? Just speaking aloud. Add that the block is decked and several key components underhood were converted to resemble a small block configuration doesn't help the sale either. Hang tight and I'm sure you'll connect with the next owner. No one once doubted the cool factor.

Dan

earntaz
09-18-2015, 10:43 PM
Daniel -- I'll be the first to admit I &quot;butchered&quot; a Cortez Silver Yenko Deuce that I picked up for a song in the early 70s ... I had no idea what it was or what it would be worth in the future.

At that time I was really into IMSA and local stock car racing, so I decided I wanted something like that for the street. Now realize the body on the Yenko was not perfect as it had been backed into, hit in parking lots and had other street battle damage so I decided to cut out the fenders, lower it and add Flares -- it did look pretty nice after it was completed ... even had the Yenko stripes coustomized and painted on.

At a later time (after I had sold the car) I found out what it was and its value -- I then had regrets. As you indicated &quot;Fulfilling a vision or goal for car ownership is what makes this hobby tick&quot;. The car had its own reputation in central Illinois.

I sold that customized Yenko and the last I heard, it was in or around Coupeville, Washington -- have not heard hide nor hair of its existance since then.

TAZ

hiperf406
09-19-2015, 01:28 AM
The ZL1 engine alone has to be 25k I would imagine. I would love to add that to my stable but I don't have 75k, but probably worth it. My $.02.

GTO_DON
09-19-2015, 05:06 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hiperf406</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ZL1 engine alone has to be 25k I would imagine. I would love to add that to my stable but I don't have 75k, but probably worth it. My $.02.

</div></div>Isn't it a new repro ZL 1 Engine that you can buy any day of the week?

GTO_DON
09-19-2015, 05:19 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MosportGreen66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is my take...

The world hates modified Corvettes, sometimes I do too.

I want to love modified Corvettes because I am a proponent of individuality within the muscle car world. On this very website, I even once defended the owner of a new Camaro who put those goofy 25+ inch wheels on it after painting the thing a chrome/gold color stating the style shouldn't be ridiculed because it fits the 'rhetoric of hot rodding.' Fulfilling a vision or goal for car ownership is what makes this hobby tick. Promote diversity. Its healthy. My gripe with the modified Corvettes is multi-fold and lots of the reasons below resonate with others here and in the hobby.

(1) Expensive cost of fiberglass restoration [makes the balance of the restoration seem justifiable when it isn't cheap either]
(2) Social pressure or better a market belief that all Corvettes need to be NCRS/BG/frame off cars
(3) An uncorrected market for project cars/drivers/train wrecks/restamped cars priced at levels near or at their original/frame off/numbers matching kin
(4) A deficit of true craftsmen who can even restore fiberglass correctly monopolize the market for restorations
(5) Flooded market of fakes, clones, restamps
(6) The personal taste in being a purist [read: I like driving Corvettes in stock configuration].

Tony - The blue '66 on ebay is beautiful. Value is very tough to determine but a good starting point would be to total the cost of parts/restoration in the car just to establish a baseline. The nice thing about the auction style is the owner is accepting offers and because you couldn't buy, modify, and build a mid year Corvette convertible for that asking price, assuming the value fits the buyer's budget, I think you can't go wrong [assuming he doesn't want a #s correct car?]. Make sure the trim/vin tags are original. Good luck.

Don - you'll find a buyer for that car. It drove like a survivor on vintage bias ply tires. It appears you like cars that bring you back in time with radical modifications. Awesome - that is what the hobby is about but this is an apples to dump trucks comparison. The blue car is stock appearing - your '67 is not. The '67 has a microscopic market. Could be the market views it more of a project than a hot rod? Just speaking aloud. Add that the block is decked and several key components underhood were converted to resemble a small block configuration doesn't help the sale either. Hang tight and I'm sure you'll connect with the next owner. No one once doubted the cool factor.

Dan

</div></div> Dan, I appreciate your insight and your probably right but I only want to say one thing. 67 Corvettes are a dime a dozen. Anyone anywhere any who that has the money can buy the so called car of their dreams on any day if they want to part with the scratch but cars like mine are few and far between and is a part of our or at least my history growing up and it was a time when we truly had a car that we made our own and each car had a personality and stood out from the other. Now all your cookie cutter cars at a show or auction are alike and its a shame we don't do more to preserve what it was really all about to begin with. I'm jumping down off my psychedelic green soapbox now. If only I could find a real ram iv gto judge with paint like my vette I would be in heaven.

hiperf406
09-20-2015, 03:21 AM
Yes it is a repo but I would imaging it still would be very expensive. I haven't been in the market for one but I guess they would be close to that price. Anyone know the cost of an aluminum ZL1???

iluv69s
09-20-2015, 11:54 AM
I paíd 19k for Ramjet ZL1 motor number 34 to match my real car a few years ago..I think they listed for 23K

Carleen
09-20-2015, 03:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hiperf406</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ZL1 engine alone has to be 25k I would imagine. I would love to add that to my stable but I don't have 75k, but probably worth it. My $.02.

</div></div>

New Aluminum Engine on ebay 12.900,00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-All-Al...e6a&amp;vxp=mtr (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-All-Aluminum-ZL1-427-High-Performance-Crate-Engine-Free-Shipping-/201412320874?hash=item2ee51c1e6a&amp;vxp=mtr)

09-20-2015, 06:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carleen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hiperf406</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ZL1 engine alone has to be 25k I would imagine. I would love to add that to my stable but I don't have 75k, but probably worth it. My $.02.

</div></div>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-All-Al...e6a&amp;vxp=mtr (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-All-Aluminum-ZL1-427-High-Performance-Crate-Engine-Free-Shipping-/201412320874?hash=item2ee51c1e6a&amp;vxp=mtr) </div></div>

That is not a GM built engine.
James

Carleen
09-20-2015, 08:03 PM
Why do you think this 66 Corvette has a GM-built engine?

olredalert
09-21-2015, 01:12 PM
----Well,,,I would guess that's because the add gives the part# of the GM ZL1......Bill S

Carleen
09-21-2015, 01:42 PM
1966 Corvette Stingray Convertible

NEW 427 GM ZL-1 aluminum big block (part # 3946053) w/ new GM aluminum rectangular port heads, part # 12363401,

The newly ZL1 blocks 12370850 have Casting # 3946053

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/0joAAOSwBahVQr-b/$_57.JPG

TimG
09-21-2015, 02:34 PM
Bill, in 1967, only the solid lifter cars had 80 LB oil pressure gauges. I'm pretty sure that held true in 1966, also.

GTO_DON
09-22-2015, 01:09 AM
My 67 only has a 60lb gauge and it appears to be the original cluster.

09-22-2015, 02:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carleen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hiperf406</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ZL1 engine alone has to be 25k I would imagine. I would love to add that to my stable but I don't have 75k, but probably worth it. My $.02.

</div></div>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-All-Al...e6a&amp;vxp=mtr (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-All-Aluminum-ZL1-427-High-Performance-Crate-Engine-Free-Shipping-/201412320874?hash=item2ee51c1e6a&amp;vxp=mtr) </div></div> Not the same as GM ZL1

Nasblu
09-22-2015, 01:55 PM
1966 L36 427-390 corvettes did not have a 6000 rpm redline only L79 cars had this tach in 1966.The 66 427-390 cars shared the 5500rpm redline tachs with the 327-300hp cars. It wasnt until 1967 that the L36 427-390 corvette motors shared the 6000rpm redline with the L79 327-350hp and L68 427-400hp motors. So according to the 6000 rpm tach in this car it would have been an L79 car. But it would have had a 60lb oil pressure gauge so I am assuming that the 80lb oil pressure gauge was added to this cluster at one time. Although not typical,80lb oil gauges have been found on 66 documented original L36 corvettes, but in most cases 60lb gauges were used.

Nasblu
09-22-2015, 04:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nasblu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Although not typical,80lb oil gauges have been found on 66 documented original L36 corvettes, but in most cases 60lb gauges were used. </div></div>

I meant to say that 80lb oil pressure gauges have been found in documented original 1966 L-36 corvettes. Not that there are only 66 of them produced. The(production totals) of 60lb vs 80lb gauge is obviously unknown.

SupremeDeluxe
09-22-2015, 06:36 PM
From photos alone, the position of the hood support on the pass side is the most telling feature that this was originally a SB car.

DandyDon
09-22-2015, 07:28 PM
When GTO Don's green Corvette was sold on Ebay on September 10, 2014 it went for $44,950. It was at Rick Downey Chevrolet and I spoke with the salesman (owner), Larry.

I don't know what you paid for it, but that was the market then and apparently now.

Dandy Don

GTO_DON
09-23-2015, 01:10 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DandyDon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When GTO Don's green Corvette was sold on Ebay on September 10, 2014 it went for $44,950. It was at Rick Downey Chevrolet and I spoke with the salesman (owner), Larry.

I don't know what you paid for it, but that was the market then and apparently now.

Dandy Don </div></div>What makes you the authority on what it was worth then and now???? I don't know why your even bringing it up when I clearly have it on eBay for sale now? Maybe your just trying to ruin my auction? For your information which is none of your business anyway the car was bought off ebay by Mecum and they took it to the muscle car nationals and that's where I bought it from for considerably more. Did I make a mistake? Maybe but that's my business. I guess we'll find out out soon what the market value is being you consider yourself and eBay an authority. Thanks for such an informative post Dandy Don.

olredalert
09-23-2015, 03:26 AM
----D Don,,,The car is worth more than $44,950 plain and simple. It was a deal at that price. That's why Mecum bought it. Markets change, sometimes vastly. The car is worth more no matter how it started out life......Bill S

GTO_DON
09-23-2015, 03:35 AM
I remember when I had my custom paint 68 chevelle for sale on here an it fell on deaf ears then after I sold it on eBay I still get calls from people wanting to buy it and where did it go? Where were they when I was selling it? It will be the same with this car. I'll probably be sorry after its gone like I still am over the chevelle. I'm just to fickle and like to change the faces. This is the reason alot of people are private when selling their cars because of someone who's always in their business where they don't belong plain and simple.

RAIIIT/A
09-23-2015, 05:59 AM
Judging by the county code on the plates... Looks to be from Carson City originally... I need to pay more attention..... That's only a couple of hours from here... BTW - I used to live up there...

markinnaples
09-23-2015, 01:42 PM
GTO DON, I loved your Chevelle as well as this Vette (we must have similar tastes).

Best of luck with the sale, and if you don't get all the money for that Vette, people are dumb.

GTO_DON
09-23-2015, 02:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RAIIIT/A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Judging by the county code on the plates... Looks to be from Carson City originally... I need to pay more attention..... That's only a couple of hours from here... BTW - I used to live up there... </div></div>Yes good catch. Car spent all its life in Carson city. I didn't know you could figure that from the tags.

DandyDon
09-23-2015, 06:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GTO_DON</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DandyDon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When GTO Don's green Corvette was sold on Ebay on September 10, 2014 it went for $44,950. It was at Rick Downey Chevrolet and I spoke with the salesman (owner), Larry.

Dandy Don </div></div>What makes you the authority on what it was worth then and now???? I don't know why your even bringing it up when I clearly have it on eBay for sale now? Maybe your just trying to ruin my auction? For your information which is none of your business anyway the car was bought off ebay by Mecum and they took it to the muscle car nationals and that's where I bought it from for considerably more. Did I make a mistake? Maybe but that's my business. I guess we'll find out out soon what the market value is being you consider yourself and eBay an authority. Thanks for such an informative post Dandy Don. </div></div>

Hey GTO Don; you're the one that was bitching in your original post that everyone was offering you $45K for the car and you wondered why? I simply answered you with what I knew about the car. It is worth whatever someone will pay for it. Mecum bought it and you bought it from them, so you obviously felt it was worth the price.
Personally, I like the car very much. I've owned many award winning Corvettes and got burned out on original matching number cars. I am looking for a flared C2 NOM coupe as we speak. That is why I inquired about the Green Car. I guess you'll find out soon enough if someone wants to pay your price. Don't ask questiomns in a post and then get pissed off when you get an answer you don't like.

Dandy Don

GTO_DON
09-23-2015, 08:42 PM
What I didn't like was the fact that your telling my business about what I paid for the car. That's inappropriate no matter how you look at it when you don't have all the facts and its on eBay. Post like that don't need to be aired out a year later.

DandyDon
09-24-2015, 03:39 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GTO_DON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I didn't like was the fact that your telling my business about what I paid for the car. That's inappropriate no matter how you look at it when you don't have all the facts and its on eBay. Post like that don't need to be aired out a year later. </div></div>

I have <span style="text-decoration: underline">NO IDEA</span>what you paid for the car. Mecum bought it off Ebay----you bought it off Mecum.I do not know nor do I care.
I'm done with this. GLWS