PDA

View Full Version : 65 Mustang Convertible

Rick99
10-11-2015, 06:45 PM
Hey Guys,

Let me state first I'm a Camaro guy. But I have a chance to pick up a 65 Mustang convertible. My problem is I know nothing about them. The car is suppose to be pretty much all original including the drive train. It has a V8 and 4 speed. So Cal car so not much rust. Top is shot, seats are torn but other than that not too bad. My question is what would be the main thing to look for on this car? Could you give me a ball park price on what it's worth. And by the way, it is drive able right now.I know you would like a lot more information but I don't have it right now. Just looking at a starting point. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Rick

Fast67VelleN2O
10-11-2015, 07:48 PM
I would say any V8 4 speed 1965 Mustang vert that's rust free but needing work would have to be worth 9-12k. Watch for torque box rust on these cars.

-Matt

Rick99
10-11-2015, 09:35 PM
Thanks Matt, I appreciate the input.

Rick

tom406
10-12-2015, 10:20 PM
As usual, I think Matt is pretty spot-on. I'd also add the cowl as a concern. Even otherwise solid Mustangs here in the NW can suffer from severe cowl rot if the cowl fills with pine needles and leaves and just holds moisture until it rots out. Put your head under the dash on both sides and look for leaks and/or corrosion. Cowl replacement is involved and expensive. Also, make sure that the original VIN # with Ford stamped stars on each end is still on top of the driver's side fender apron under the hood and that it matches the title. These inner fenders are often cut out and replaced after collisions and can create a title headache for you. The VIN on the door tag is just a trim tag-its nice if it matches too but isn't helpful to actually title the car.

Rick99
10-13-2015, 11:19 PM
Thanks Tom, Good information. I'll make sure I check all that out.

Rick

bbbentley
10-20-2015, 11:48 PM
Rick, I will start out by telling that I, too, am a Camaro guy. I have a 66 Stang Vert. though kind of like what you are contemplating. It was the most costly car I ever got though. Yea, cost me 33 years of marriage,lol. My wife is an only child and her parents bought the 66 new and, finally, gave it to me. It is a real nice 'survivor' original paint, always garaged 66k miles amber glow w/pony interior 289 2bbl auto car.
Good Luck!

markinnaples
11-09-2015, 03:39 PM
David Miller, aka whitetop, has one of the coolest '65 Mustang convertible 70's custom I've ever seen. Maybe he'll chime in here as I believe he's working on restoring it now to it's 70's glory.