PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Original Vinyl Seats

Wakepowell
01-14-2016, 02:24 PM
I'm heading down the preservation path with my '63 Corvette and struggling to get the vinyl seats clean. I've attached a few pictures of what I am dealing with. So far I've used 303 Products; citrus degreaser, vinyl and carpet spot remover, and interior vinyl cleaner ). They have helped but have not been able to removes the dark staining. Any other suggestions or methods?
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2016/01/full-13327-37574-seat_cleaning_1.jpg
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2016/01/full-13327-37575-seat_cleaning_2.jpg
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2016/01/full-13327-37576-seat_cleaning_3.jpg

camarojoe
01-14-2016, 02:46 PM
Magic Eraser.

Charley Lillard
01-14-2016, 03:15 PM
Ditto...what he said.

flyingn
01-14-2016, 03:55 PM
yea the magic eraser is a darn good took for cleaning.

olredalert
01-14-2016, 04:32 PM
----Rob,,,I have a bunch of experience with 63 red vinyl Corvette seats. I wish you good luck with the eraser, but the darkening I see is what happens to original 63 Corvette red vinyl. I believe you will not be able to bring the original color back to the darkened areas......Bill S

Woj
01-14-2016, 05:30 PM
I agree with Bill. Once the material discolors (changes chemically), that is what you have. Sounds like all the dirt is gone (if not, a magic eraser will remove it). A very talented person can re-dye the areas you don't like. Personally, I would leave it. Just my $.02 worth.

Good luck. Sounds like a neat car.

Phil Woj

Wakepowell
01-14-2016, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the input. I will give a magic eraser a try this weekend.

With the experience Bill and Phil have offered up, would the over all consensus be clean it as well as possible then leave it. Or try dying it to get closer to original appearance? Its a tough decision and one that crosses between restoring and preservation.

Rob

Charley Lillard
01-14-2016, 07:56 PM
If it won't clean with Magic Eraser I would try fogging some spray dye from one of the Corvette suppliers.

resto4u
01-18-2016, 10:16 PM
Are you ready for the snowball effect? If you just dye the seats, everything else will look even worse. If the interior is good, but just faded then you can dye the seats,carpet,door panels.

olredalert
01-18-2016, 11:06 PM
----I agree with Roger. The fact that you have good, original condition seats is such a rarity that I wouldn't touch them except to make sure they are clean. The time worn statement that they are only original once applies here. I would, however restore the seatbelts. Your car would look so much crisper then!....Bill S

Wakepowell
01-19-2016, 12:33 AM
I spent some time this weekend using the magic eraser on the seats. In the areas I had already cleaned using 303 products and a leather detailing brush, the magic eraser didn't remove much more. The "darkening" of the vinyl is still present. It looks like where ever skin made prolonged contact with the vinyl it darkened more. I'm struggling with how much improvement you do to an unrestored car versus restoring it. In

I have a few original and unrestored cars, LS-6 Chevelle, '67 427/435 roadster and this '63 340hp coupe. I love and enjoy them but have not done any show events with them like I have my restored cars. Is there guideline to follow with how much refreshing is acceptable should I decide to show these cars?

Charley Lillard
01-19-2016, 12:38 AM
If you don't want to try fogging some dye on the dark area you might contact a detailer that works for new car dealerships.I just used a guy that fogged some dye on my 1970 leather seats in my Iso Grifo and the result was amazing. They can do some amazing work for cheap. TimG and I owned a Corvette that had the cracked door panels repaired and it was amazing.

DW31S
01-19-2016, 10:26 AM
Good tip Charley. Yes, those traveling interior guys have come a long way. A whole new industry has spawned with this type of support to dealerships. Bumper refinishing right on the car while the car is on the lot, interior repairs including seat cracks and dyes, wheel repairs, paint chips, and last but certainly not least is paint less dent repair. Some of the vendors are true artists while others are artisans.