PDA

View Full Version : Rally Green Original Paint '69 Z

scuncio
02-06-2016, 04:52 AM
Not a bad looking car...if it's truly the original paint it held up well.

http://tinyurl.com/zyazwsa

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/4pYAAOSwGotWtQmY/s-l1600.jpg

MosportGreen66
02-06-2016, 12:26 PM
Nice car... tag looks good, firewall looks good with spattered paint, white overspray from the stripes. Love it!

scott s
02-06-2016, 12:30 PM
rear spoiler stripes are incorrect,dont believe they should be on the deck lid lip.

luzl78
02-06-2016, 01:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scott s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rear spoiler stripes are incorrect,dont believe they should be on the deck lid lip. </div></div>on the light green rs behind the car in one of the pics the stripes are not on the deck lid.

olredalert
02-06-2016, 08:55 PM
----If the original owner is the same Dick Whittington that many of us older than dirt Corvette guys know from Wilksboro, he's still around and kicking. I'm on vacation right now but when home next week I can track down his number........Bill S

scuncio
02-06-2016, 09:17 PM
I'm guessing the spoiler was added. That would explain the stripes on the lip of the deck lid.

1967Z28
02-06-2016, 11:41 PM
Not necessarily true. Think about how there are variations on how the cowls are painted and/or masked off. Sometimes the stripes on the front edge of the hood (as well as other places) only go down about 1/4&quot; and on other original paint cars, they go all the way down. Some spoiler cars got stripes on the back of the trunk lid whether by accident or whatever you want to call it. I have seen this more often on LOS cars. This car may have had a spoiler added or maybe not but it would be nice to know if the trunk rod springs were the same diameter on each side or not. The pictures in the ad do not show whether the Camaro emblem is on the decklid. Would be nice to know that stuff.

Charley Lillard
02-07-2016, 12:45 AM
&quot;Some spoiler cars got stripes on the back of the trunk lid whether by accident or whatever you want to call it. I have seen this more often on LOS cars.&quot;

I have never seen that. Do you have any examples ?

1967Z28
02-07-2016, 04:38 PM
I have not done a good job of documenting it but have observed it going well back into the '70s when I got my first Z, a Feb '69 LOS car with pics from the original owner showing the car in the driveway with no plates and the stripes on the back of the trunk lid. The trunk lid had the two sets of holes for the Camaro emblem with no evidence of the emblem having been in the lower spot. I did not know to measure the torsion springs back then and the car is long gone.

If you think the stripes could only be one specific way with zero possibility of variation consider the case of the rear stripes masked off in the lower position on the rear window filler panel. It is as if they masked them using the vinyl top mask but these are on non-vinyl top cars. The orange car is original paint and the other pics are from 1969. I assume you haven't seen this either. The other CRG guys were skeptics about this until I showed them about 8-10 examples and Jerry MacNeish did an appraisal report on an original paint example. They have finally come around to agreeing this did happen on some cars. My only point is for people to keep an open mind about the possibility of there being variations in how the stripes were done by the factories back in the day.