PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Chevy dually cam choice

luzl78
03-05-2016, 04:53 PM
A buddy of mine just gave me a 1987 Chevy 3500 dually 2 wheel drive truck. It's got a 454 and was wondering what you guys would recommend for a cam /lifter replace and also what roller rockers might fit under the factory valve covers? I'm looking for torque.its got headers and duals. Also if any of you have any nos exterior/interior parts for it. It's fully power loaded. It's blue on blue.

PxTx
03-05-2016, 05:14 PM
Is it still stock? I'm assuming it is a computer controlled dizzy and a Quadra jet carb?

luzl78
03-05-2016, 06:05 PM
Its stock with first year fuel injection they drilled the headers and plumbed the emission tubes to keep the cats

VintageMusclecar
03-05-2016, 07:49 PM
I'd stay with a single pattern cam for what you're doing. The Crane 10303 would work very well if you want to stay with a hydraulic flat tappet. If you want to go hydraulic roller there are a couple other options.

I'm assuming the truck has an iron Quadrajet intake with a TBI adapter on it?

*edit* roller rockers would be a waste of time and $ for this.

luzl78
03-05-2016, 08:42 PM
correct on the TBI. what do you suggest for the roller cam? i understand the tappet is inexpensive but i think the roller would wake up the motor more. i wasn't thinking about redoing the heads. the engine has a noticeable valve tap but seems to have plenty of power. just wanted to breathe some more life in the old girl and quiet her down. do you have custom grinds in mind or suggest a cam company? i think the cam would be $450-600 and good lifters are? eric, whats the rough idea on redoing heads if you think it would be worth it?

VintageMusclecar
03-05-2016, 09:25 PM
I run the Crane 168711 hydraulic roller in the 489 that's destined for my `95 Suburban 3/4 ton. If you read the write-up in my forum about the build, you'll see the cam makes plenty of power everywhere--note that I was only shooting for ~375 HP with that build and wound up making almost 420 HP.

That's the smallest HR Crane offers off the shelf, but I think it would work good for you too.

If the heads are tired, don't even think of stabbing in a new cam w/o freshening up the heads too. You'll need to install the appropriate springs anyways.

Pop a valve cover off and see what casting number the heads are--they should be &quot;peanut ports&quot; which are <span style="text-decoration: underline">exactly</span> what you want. Cost to re-do the heads will vary depending on what they need.

Call me next week if you'd like to discuss things in more detail.

SuperNovaSS
03-06-2016, 10:17 PM
Just playing devil's advocate here but if the truck isn't lacking power, why open a can of worms? Maybe a simply valve adjustment would solve the lash noise you are hearing and you could start using the truck. I don't know how many miles the truck has but putting a fresh set of heads on a worn bottom end is a bit risky.

By all means, if you are looking to jump into a project, go for it!

Jason

Lynn
03-07-2016, 12:25 AM
I think you need to introduce me to your friend. No one ever gave me a big block dually.

On a more serious note: listen to Eric on cam choice. I put a HR Crane in the 350 on my 68 El Camino and it idles soooooo smooth, and the throttle response (stock 68 Q-jet) is way beyond anything GM ever built in the 60's.