PDA

View Full Version : I am looking for a qualified restoration mechanic

SS427
03-12-2016, 08:44 PM
I got this pre-approved by Charley.

Due to a huge growth in restoration requests, my current workload and backlog of cars, I am looking for someone who is passionate about restoring Chevrolet muscle cars and one who would be willing to relocate to central Illinois. We are a small family run shop dedicated to restoring rare Chevrolets to the best they can be and do not cut corners and currently have 10 cars in the shop and another 3 waiting to come in. I have been unable to find local people who are passionate about restoring these cars and instead just find those who want mechanical jobs but could care less what they are working on and only watch the clock and their cell phone. If you are not passionate about these cars do not waste my time. We do not buy, restore and flip cars and only restore them for collectors who are also passionate about them and are willing to pay to have them restored correctly.

I already have a full time bodyman and painter but need a mechanic who can also do minor bodywork and paint such as frame and component restoration work though I can work around it if you do not have that experience. We do complete turnkey restorations so knowledge in every facet of the restoration process is a plus including driveline overhaul and upholstery. We are looking into moving into a larger facility very soon and would like to have this person on hand before that move.

I hope to retire in the next 10 years at which time you would likely take over the business. If you would like a change in your career or looking to get paid for your passion please email, call or PM me. You will remain totally confidential. Thanks Charley and SYC,
Rick

Nova Jed
03-12-2016, 09:21 PM
Rick, I feel your pain! I'm the only guy that is called "Mr. Numbers Matching" in our shop. I've been with this family business for 4yrs now. We argue like cats and dogs but get along like family. Kinda wierd for me, but they treat me good and I do the same for them. If you have ever seen some of my work on here, you will understand how passionate I am about the iron.
I am 36 and its hard to find good knowledgeable help. I dont know everything, but I do get asked a lot during the week.

mockingbird812
03-12-2016, 09:21 PM
Great opportunity to "inherit" a business with a fantastic world-class reputation and being apprenticed under some seriously talented people! Best wishes to you guys. You should have them knocking down your door so hold out for the best!

njsteve
03-12-2016, 09:36 PM
Too bad you're not in Jersey, I'd apply. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

Ryan1969Chevelle
03-12-2016, 10:23 PM
I don't know much, but I am pationate enough to make up for it............ Honey pack our bags Daddy is already out the front door:-)

This is an opportunity at a level I can't say I have ever seen before:-)

Please don't hire one of the reality TV stars as they will pillage all good things for vanity and fame, and cash:-(

Ryan

XXXGoldL34M20
03-12-2016, 10:38 PM
To bad I live so far Rick,
I have told you over the phone I would love to work and help you on 70 Chevelle's everyday as you know it is my Favourite model.
I would have come out of retirement to work on these LS6 cars everyday. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif Good luck finding that special person.

marxjunk
03-13-2016, 01:23 AM
ive been looking for a good body tech for 4 years...seems no one cares about cars as much as i do..or..they are idiot crybaby entitled spoiled brats that think they know whats up..or so stuck on themselves they cant imagine themselves working on old cars...too good to fix rust etc..been thru 11 guys in 8 years and they all have sucked..or i couldnt tolerate the crying...it gets old fast..ive even offered them a partnership if they work hard and prove themselves and dropped the hint,if they where good and loyal they would end up with the business..

theres a tech school in Kansas, in my territory that has a degree in restorations..ive heard about it..they have a big show every year and i am hunting for them..someone told me once but cant remember..its in parsons ks or somewhere like that...

they have placement programs etc..look for a younger talented kid and bring him up your way..and pray he doesnt run off after you invest some time in him..i will figure out who it is.

Postsedan
03-13-2016, 01:38 AM
I am sure you will find Mr. RIGHT <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

Dan

SS427
03-13-2016, 06:38 PM
I have found Mr. Right several times but cannot convince him to move the short distance south and give up the rat race of the big city........ <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif

Speaking of reality shows, it will NEVER happen as we do NOT want that drama in our shop. I have been contacted twice by two differenct production companies in the last year to do reality shows. That make three in the last 5 years. Each time I emphatically said no chance! Here is the last email;

<span style="font-style: italic">Hey Rick,
Thank you for getting back to me. This show is not based around drama in the shop or the family. What we are looking for is a great family dynamic, people with great personalities and great shop that does amazing work on muscle cars. After visiting your site and talking to you, I can already tell you have a great personality. I would love to get on the phone and talk to you sometime today. Are you available for a brief phone call?</span>

Hmmmmm............nope, still want no part of that but ok, I will at least talk on the phone with them. He called later that afternoon and interviewed us for about a half hour. After the interview he thanked us and said no, you are right, you are not what we are looking for. Not enough drama. Go figure!

marxjunk
03-13-2016, 06:42 PM
McPherson KS is where the college is..they relocate people etc..i will get moreinfo..or maybe you can google up the tech school there

SS427
03-13-2016, 06:47 PM
I will do that and hope it goes better than the last time. Thanks Mark.

I recently hired a Wyotech graduate and doubt that will ever happen again. Looked great on paper but......

marxjunk
03-13-2016, 06:59 PM
wyotech is over sold..Its a great resource..but..i dunno..ive never seen one live up to the reputation they like to flaunt..in my life..show me..dont tell me...and im not beating on them..i just dont think they have what ya need..you need some real world experience..

Ive heard a lot of good stuff about McPherson..a lot...real car people..they have young adults and old geesers trying to get in a better spot in life doing what they want to do..old cars

njsteve
03-13-2016, 07:18 PM
Rick,

I have another 18 months before I am eligible for retirement and two years after that, I am mandatory.

You can always send me stuff here to work on and I'll send it back when I'm done. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

Oh, and I graduated from Denver Automotive and Diesel College back in 1981. They were located at 460 South Lipan in Denver (I can't believe I still remember that address after all these years.)

SS427
03-13-2016, 07:36 PM
Steve, I have seen your work. I think you qualify. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

SS427
03-13-2016, 07:39 PM
Maybe I am biased but I graduated from Dunwoody Industrial Institute in 1981 and the only think I lacked upon graduation was real world experience but give me a broken car and I could fix it. Most of what I see today coming out of these and other Vo-tech type schools are wanna bees and they seem to only teach them the very basics. When I went to school they drove it into your head and not only taught you how to fix something but more importantly how to diagnose it and fix it correctly.

marxjunk
03-13-2016, 08:06 PM
dude..tell me about it..i worked as a body many for 12 years before i actually felt like i made it...at that point i was able to fix anything....and i worked my whole young life away..to get there...i was dedicated..and worked every holiday and weekend i could..

every one wants to be Jesse James...they just dont want to pay the 20 years it takes to get there...with blood sweat and tears...sacrificing everything to be that guy...they just want a degree...and a 100k a year..because some unscrupulous guidance counselors say its possible..

DW31S
03-13-2016, 08:12 PM
Rick, you are not alone in your search for the &quot;right&quot; employee. I think this country-wide problem originated when all little-leaguers received trophies; even the losers. Nobody in the &quot;entitlement&quot; generation that I know of (except one), knows the meaning of &quot;a hard days work&quot;. I'm not trying to sound cynical, but it sure seems like the generation under us (I have no children so I can not refer to &quot;my kid's&quot; generation) is always looking for an easy way out of whatever predicament they face. Rarely do they pitch in without being asked, but they are first in line for their paycheck. Hell, they don't even care if they drive or not!

marxjunk
03-13-2016, 08:27 PM
i know a 27 year old kid that has never had a drivers license..and he doesnt care if he ever gets one...

his mom and friends haul him around and its ok...all of them think its fine and not a problem

DW31S
03-13-2016, 09:55 PM
I rest my case.

VintageMusclecar
03-13-2016, 10:19 PM
If you ever decide to move operations to Ohio...

Just sayin' <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

Tracker1
03-13-2016, 10:26 PM
RETIRE?! FROM RESTORING LS6 CHEVELLES?? That's something I'd happily do til I slumped over the fender, stone dead at 90. Wish I had the abilities you were looking for Rick. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif

ronzz572
03-13-2016, 10:44 PM
Rick if I lived closer I would be glad to join your team. But as others have said. Relocating is not a option for me. I have been recently thinking of opening a restoration shop in my area pittsburgh and do 2nd gen F bodies. Your situation could very well be the same for me also. That's my worry also if I do it.

jasonL78
03-14-2016, 01:31 AM
Oh man I wish you were closer......

markinnaples
03-14-2016, 03:11 PM
Might want to check into http://www.unoh.edu/ as two of my nephews went there and they seem to do a pretty good job with their students. Best of luck.

SS427
03-14-2016, 04:14 PM
Thanks Mark.

Jason, I can be as close as you want me to be. Just move here...... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif

Caseys69
03-15-2016, 03:09 PM
Man that would be an awesome job