PDA

View Full Version : Identity theft

black69
03-20-2016, 03:54 PM
I dont want to be a downer, but I hope you guys wishing each other happy birthdays, you run the risk of getting your identity taken. All they need is to get your birthday and ss number, I beleive, to file for your IRS return change of address. I just read on the news, its been pretty bad lately.

Just think how many things use the last 4 of your ss. Plenty of databases have our last 4 digits stored.
then you have your birthday (say for example from sites like this)
Most of the front end of a ss number (3 digits) is not too hard to figure out, if they know your general age.
Its the middle 2 numbers that are the wild card. Only 100 possibilities.

Just think of the risks....when you think nothing can happen if people scan these sites and get free birthday info.

cautious bob....(and remember, the IRS does not care where they send your money)

marxjunk
03-20-2016, 04:08 PM
i dont know..i know a few people who have had their identity stolen and when it came down to it...they gave the info away accidentally to people they knew and down the line it went til the info made its way to criminals..female perps each time....

id worry about using your credit card online or at target more than a HBD wish..but thats just me...

if a criminal targets you...theres no stopping him or her anyway..most have nothing but time..and they scheme 24-7

MailOrderMotion
03-20-2016, 04:45 PM
[quote=marxjunk] female perps each time....

That's a great reason to always pay cash. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

marxjunk
03-20-2016, 05:15 PM
now that aint right...it just aint right...

Billohio
03-20-2016, 05:47 PM
my brother in law went to file his taxes last year and irs said he couldnt, someone already got a refund under his name. seemed like ohio had alot of that last year. I think he eventually still had to file <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif

marxjunk
03-20-2016, 05:53 PM
they got my bosses dad last year...a female tried to file a return to get a refund..she didnt know he was self employed and hadnt gotten a refund in 40 years and live at the same address for more than that..

she did an address change etc and the IRS actually caught it..but..his info is out there now..and of course the IRS wont divulge anything..they wont tell him if they prosecuted..caught her..nothing..its just a mystery

SuperNovaSS
03-20-2016, 08:49 PM
A place that has the last 4 of you social probably also has your birth date.

When I moved to Hawaii in 2000, the driver's license number was your social. They just that a few years after I moved there.

Jason