PDA

View Full Version : Ram Air IV vs: SD455

caj
04-05-2016, 03:23 AM
Ok Pontiac gurus and enthusiasts. Here's one for you. What is the rarer, more desirable, fastest engine between the 70 RAM AIR IV and the 73 SD455? I know they are both underrated and rare but given a choice between the two....what would be your choice and why? Thanks, Craig

RST
04-05-2016, 03:25 AM
SD ....... Because I have one <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

GTO_DON
04-05-2016, 03:43 AM
I've driven multiples of both versions and the RAM IV is hands down the more exciting car to drive from listening to the thumper cam all the way to winding them to 6500 with no valve float. I know that the SD is the more rounded engine but it does not have the same effect of driving a RAM IV. AND YES I HAVE 1 that I would put up against a SD

442w30
04-05-2016, 06:14 AM
RAIV is MUCH rarer in a Firebird.

And its price exceeds the SD.

I can remember a time when their price position was reversed.

auwrestling
04-05-2016, 07:17 PM
Ive driving both 70 RAIV and 73 SDs since 70s and its a very close call but I go with SD because it had all the right parts and stayed together .

old5.0
04-05-2016, 08:29 PM
Lotta neat history behind the SD, but something about a IV just does it for me....

njsteve
04-06-2016, 12:05 AM
There's nothing like having a low 13-second car in 100% factory trim, that can run on 87 octane! (For us old cheap bastards). <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif

Xplantdad
04-06-2016, 03:04 AM
SD's rock!

GTO_DON
04-06-2016, 03:28 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's nothing like having a low 13-second car in 100% factory trim, that can run on 87 octane! (For us old cheap bastards). <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif </div></div>I think your post is a little misleading Steve.
First of all I've never seen a SD Car run a low 13 in 100% stock form.
If your talking about the 1st test car,I think that car was a ringer put up by pontiac and note it's not a air car which most were. The 2 I drove and beat the snot out of were both air cars with a 308 gear I think and I personally was unimpressed. That's not saying a 4 spd non air car with a 342 might be the one your talking about but those are far and few between. Lastly I really doubt you or anybody you know runs that car on 87 octane. If you do you really are a CHEAP BASTARD! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif I guess it's easy to see which side I'm on <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/burnout.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/3gears.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/worship.gif

GTO_DON
04-06-2016, 03:30 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xplantdad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SD's rock! </div></div>
I had to look twice Bruce. I thought you said STD' s rock <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/BruceRocks.gif

RST
04-06-2016, 04:55 AM
Well guys, Mascar Classics will be restoring a 74 Sd 455 Trans Am in 2017 and Mr. Kenny Maisano will be doing a rebuild using all stock parts with some serious blue printing etc, we will Dyno tune and do some runs down the track before we bring the car to muscle car nationals 2017. So we will see what it can do after the best engine builder in the county gets his hands on it <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

Tracker1
04-06-2016, 11:20 AM
I will go with a '73 SD-455 4-speed Trans Am - as auwrestling said, they stayed together. Because I'm a 4-speed guy, my RA IV would either end up with spun bearings or cracked pistons - because that's what they did....in stock form. But boy they sound like a million bucks though, as Don said.

njsteve
04-06-2016, 11:32 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GTO_DON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Lastly I really doubt you or anybody you know runs that car on 87 octane. If you do you really are a CHEAP BASTARD! </div></div>

Hey, I resemble that remark!

I am NJSteve and I approve this message. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

tjs44
04-06-2016, 04:12 PM
On a side note the baddest car is neither.The 68 bird RA II car is the baddest and is up there on price.Tom

old5.0
04-06-2016, 04:38 PM
I'd love to have a 68 II Bird.

Xplantdad
04-06-2016, 08:47 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GTO_DON</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xplantdad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SD's rock! </div></div>
I had to look twice Bruce. I thought you said STD' s rock <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/BruceRocks.gif </div></div>

LOL!

And Scott...I still want to ride Shotgun!!

Craig_Maiorana
04-06-2016, 09:16 PM
The SD for sure ... The shop where I started back in NJ. My boss had a 73 Brewster SD black interior with a 400.... That car was ferocious (granted I think he massaged the motor a bit) I snuck up on some kid in a fox body mustang and passed him as it was chirping 2nd and all I remember is looking back as he is sawing at the wheel to leave his lane to come and get me .... pity though .... I was out and there wasn't a darn thing he could do to get me... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/3gears.gif

caj
04-06-2016, 10:35 PM
Some very interesting replies on both. A buddy and I were discussing them and I thought I would see what all of you guys here thought.

Craig_Maiorana
04-06-2016, 10:48 PM
But really they are both cool and I for one wouldn't kick either one out of bed ... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif