PDA

View Full Version : 1970 Yenko

brent396
04-18-2016, 04:55 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/152056164010?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageNa me

lowmile
04-18-2016, 05:19 PM
Be sure and have your attorney read the ad, before you buy.
"Concourse quality and truly one of the finest examples of a professional rebodied restoration performed to factory specifications."

scuncio
04-18-2016, 05:22 PM
No kidding, talk about a disclaimer. Is this the car whose heater box CON VIN was inconsistent with the dash tag?

Mr70
04-18-2016, 06:22 PM
His ID name should be "Bring Lawyers,Guns & Money."

PeteLeathersac
04-18-2016, 07:19 PM
That statement brings new questions to mind...
If no ordinary schmo rebody, WHO performed this amazing professional rebody restoration?
Also, can they provide a list of other rebody examples this group has professionally completed in the past...then we can contact a few of their other happy customers to confirm such an obviously high level of professional rebody workmanship is even possible?
<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/no.gif
~ Pete

Steve Shauger
04-18-2016, 08:00 PM
This guy has some real goodies. Not only this car but the 69 COPO Camaro built in early Dec at the LA plant <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

DBelk
04-19-2016, 03:51 AM
I purchased this car and the #4 Dick Harrell 68 Nova from Ed Cuneen as a package deal years ago. Ed had the bodywork done at a body shop in Iowa and was aware this was done at the time. Problem was it was never revealed to me. Marlin did question it and to his credit was dead right on this car in the end. I sold it to a collector whom had some work done on it and the firewall was repainted, and during the process, it was discovered that the hidden vin was welded in a different car. It was revealed on this site. I was enraged to say the least. I contacted the owner immediately and offered to buy it back plus any monies that were spent on the car and I would take it from there. The owner of the car told me he had traded this Nova for another Yenko Nova ( a blue one I had. Great car by the way that Schoenthaler restored ), and no need for me to buy it back. I know Gary sold it at auction as a rebody and it brought 100k or more. It is a nice car, but it is also a rebody and glad current owner has made that clear. Sorry if this post is deleted/modified, I understand. Not meant to bash anyone but to simply state the facts on this car.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
04-19-2016, 03:57 PM
Dave is correct, this car was intentionally rebodied with a '70 Forest Green 307 Nova from Jersey City, NJ that had but 20k miles on it. I had a hunch, based on a peculiar question from the owner at that time, and so I went to see the car just after it had been painted but before the heater box was assembled. I could tell right away that the vin stamps in the firewall were real, but so were all of the factory spot welds - and a local shop is NOT going to duplicate them like the factory. I checked one other area, the upper brackets for the rear sway bar - they looked pretty good as well. So, I sat back and waited...I was not surprised when the photos came out. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/mad.gif

The history is that this car was previously owned by Johnny Griffin in Gallatin, TN - he brokered my car from Cliff to me, so I'd spent a fair amount of time talking with him. He had sold this car to a woman in Chicago who had a resto shop begin the project, they sent it out for sand blasting and blew holes in the floors. She was very upset because the car was not that bad, and the blaster ruined salvageable floors. The car needed quarters, outers, etc...the normal stuff. The floor damage put her over the top, and she refused to pay the resto company who then stopped work and began to charge storage fees. She complained to Johnny, who eventually went back up there and bought the car back and delivered it directly to Gary Holub as a project in process. Before doing any additional work, Gary included this car in a multi car trade with Ed, who arranged for the rebody - and eventually the car came full circle back to Holub as Dave explained. That is the history as I recall it - directionally correct.

So, it is a shame that a decent car was unnecessarily rebodied, and then not disclosed. I lost a little faith in the hobby on this one.....

earntaz
04-19-2016, 07:44 PM
<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/bs.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/no.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif