PDA

View Full Version : True Speed Shop Catalogues ...

ted
04-27-2016, 04:02 PM
Remember the long line of catalogues that adorned the sales counters of speed shops back in the 60s 70s 80s before computerization took hold? Now the Q, were these catalogues and updates most of the time three-hole or 4 hole-punched?? Someone trying to sell me a stack of TRUE vintage speed shop catalogues not hole-punched. They look brand new and not even "leafed-through".
Thanks!
Ted

68l30
04-27-2016, 04:16 PM
Sometimes there was just a bar that slide in the book, like a book mark, that held it in the rack. No holes. I guess it depends on the rack used. I have some with holes and some with out....give it the sniff test. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

BIG

Verne_Frantz
04-27-2016, 04:29 PM
Why not mention a few of the catalogs from popular brands that are not punched and see if members have the same ones with holes?
Most of mine are hole punched but I have plenty that aren't.
Verne

John Brown
04-27-2016, 07:38 PM
I used to get non punched catalogs from lots of speed parts suppliers. Since I had years of experience in hard parts sales, it just honked me off not being able to put a catalog in a rack. Luckily, I was able to make hole punches out of 3/8 fuel lines, using a punch to flare the cut off tubing, then running a grinding wheel against the side of the flared edge to create a sharpened punch. I could get the job done, but I still gave many speed parts sales reps my opinion on non punched catalogs and finally many manufacturers realized a punched catalog would work everywhere that non punched ones wouldn't.

Mr70
04-28-2016, 04:38 PM
The retailer could actually request from the distributor if he wanted them hole punched or not.
No holes,2 holes,3 holes were all originally possible back then.

old5.0
04-28-2016, 09:18 PM
Dunno about the aftermarket, but I've got a set of FMS catalogs from 82-93 and they're all punched. Most 3-hole, but a couple are 5.