PDA

View Full Version : The future of manufacturing

markinnaples
05-11-2016, 07:10 PM
Pretty amazing stuff here on the future of manufacturing:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/8_lfxPI5ObM?rel=0

marxjunk
05-11-2016, 08:03 PM
my buddy works for Tesla in the collision repair procedure dept...he says its the most awesome job hes ever had...

CamarosRus
05-11-2016, 08:56 PM
Amazing !!!!!!!!!!!

Keith Seymore
05-16-2016, 03:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: markinnaples</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty amazing stuff here on the future of manufacturing:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/8_lfxPI5ObM?rel=0 </div></div>

I hate to burst your bubble...but that's how mundane GM vehicles are made, too.

The first time I saw that video a couple years ago I was spending my summer launching G Vans in Wentzville. I spun around in my chair in the production office and looked out the window to see pretty much what you see in that video, in terms of robots (part installation) and material handling.

Turn about half the lights off and blow a bunch of dirt around...that would be Wentzville.

K

Keith Seymore
05-16-2016, 03:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith Seymore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Turn about half the lights off and blow a bunch of dirt around...that would be Wentzville.

</div></div>

Well - that, and Wentzville builds 45 jobs per hour. Most full size truck plants are 60 jobs per hour (one complete vehicle every minute).

Not sure what the line rate is at the Tesla plant but some of the footage was obviously sped up for effect.

K

70 copo
05-16-2016, 04:32 PM
18 months ago we toured Kenworth in my town and the staff there was complaining about the plant being land locked with no room to expand. They got a copy of &quot;Echoes &quot; and soon after they decided to build up....so much for the obsolecence of multi floor assembly plants!

Keith Seymore
05-16-2016, 05:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 70 copo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">18 months ago we toured Kenworth in my town and the staff there was complaining about the plant being land locked with no room to expand. They got a copy of &quot;Echoes &quot; and soon after they decided to build up....so much for the obsolecence of multi floor assembly plants!

</div></div>

Funny you should mention that, as I just saw this reference over the weekend.

K

http://detroiturbex.com/content/ba/feat/industry/10.html

Keith Seymore
05-16-2016, 05:48 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 70 copo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">18 months ago we toured Kenworth in my town and the staff there was complaining about the plant being land locked with no room to expand. They got a copy of &quot;Echoes &quot; and soon after they decided to build up....so much for the obsolecence of multi floor assembly plants!

</div></div>

My alma mater - Chevrolet Flint Assembly - was/is also a multi floor assembly plant. Paint and trim were upstairs with chassis and final at the ground level.

Seems to lend itself well to the body drop arrangement.

The plant was built in 1947 and is still in use, building full size pickups and cab chassis vehicles.

K

70 copo
05-16-2016, 07:12 PM
Keith,

That's fantastic! Flint! It is good to see some of the legacy plants in operation.

Keith Seymore
05-16-2016, 08:11 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 70 copo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keith,

That's fantastic! Flint! It is good to see some of the legacy plants in operation.

</div></div>

Thanks, Phil -

Slight sidebar, but Flint related:

I think everybody worth their salt knows the first 300 Corvettes were built in Flint, Michigan.

What may not be as widely known is that they were built in the GM Assembly Research Center (aka &quot;GMARC&quot;), which was on the northeast corner of the property of Chevrolet Flint Assembly - rather than the assembly plant itself.

The building was used for prototype assembly and assembly line mockups. Many of us from the truck plant would do short stints at GMARC either for research experience or in support of new model launch.

K