PDA

View Full Version : 1966 Corvette 427- "the unrestored one"

JMS9
05-12-2016, 02:19 AM
I recently found a photo of a 1966 corvette that was inducted into the Bloomington Great Hall in 2014. The car is referred to as "the unrestored one". Based on the photo, the car is a coupe, appears to be black in color with a 427 hood and side-pipes. Other than that, there is very little information on the car or why it earned such a distinction.....this is unusual because most of the inductees have an extensive background that is easily accessible. -JMS

JMS9
05-12-2016, 03:40 PM
Just to clarify, I am curious if anyone knows more about this car? -JMS

PeteLeathersac
05-12-2016, 09:55 PM
Isn't this the car that first prompted the need to recognize and preserve also judge and value the absolute unrestored survivors at a higher level than any restored cars at the time...mid 70's?
The Original Benchmark?
<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif
~ Pete

Big Block Bill
05-13-2016, 03:35 AM
Pete,

I believe the car you are talking about was an un-restored, all original, 1967 Marlboro Maroon 427 Coupe? David Burroughs used to Trade Mark the term &quot;Survivor&quot; with the US Patent office back in 1989. Survivor judging started in 1990. Tim McKeon, Herm Rosemann, and I all had cars judged that year passing all the criteria for Survivor and Bloomington Gold status that same year. That's when David decided to recognize those cars that were un-restored but still able to pass the restored test of Gold @ 95% or better than factory built, thus creating the &quot;Benchmark&quot; award in 1991. I saw so many cars that prior to that had been restored, chasing the Gold Certification award. We lost too many times capsules we all could have learned from.

Bill

JMS9
05-13-2016, 10:11 PM
Thanks Bill. I have seen the Maroon '67 and how it led David to the survivor trademark. A photo-link of the car I was referring to is attached. Again, inducted into great hall in 2014. Weird that there is no info on the reason it is significant. I did not go that year so had not seen it until now. -JMS

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2934/14361714098_6d90b23ba7.jpg

olredalert
05-14-2016, 01:03 PM
----If I am correct the original owner has passed. He used to be my insurance man while we lived in the Chicago area. It still remains with the family, and has the kind of mileage we all dream about (well under 10,000 miles). Its a 390hp and is absolutely beautiful as well as all 100% original. His other Corvette is as nice and far rarer than this one. I will post the families name when I know its all right with them.......Bill S

JMS9
05-14-2016, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the information Bill, no need for the family name. The attached photo will explain a little further why I was interested. This is my 427-425 car. It is also 100% original. The car has 29k original miles, would have 25k but I put 4k on it in the last 10 years. I have not seen another Survivor '66 coupe black-black 427 car with original pipes until I found the Bloomington Great Hall photo. It is great to know that my 425hp car has a 390hp 'brother' and that they are both original and so similar. Obviously, I would like to know more about the 390hp car given their similarity. -JMS

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2016/05/full-19965-43630-black_427.jpg

mockingbird812
05-14-2016, 11:32 PM
Wow - stunning!

Big Block Bill
05-15-2016, 12:55 AM
Very nice. Looks like a Benchmark quality car! Congratulations on owning such a fine Corvette.

Bill

olredalert
05-15-2016, 12:38 PM
----A beautiful 66, JMS!!! Have you been invited to the 50th reunion at Bloomington Gold in the Special Collection this year as I have? Your 66 is obviously a candidate.

----Oh,,,,And more pics (a lot more) are needed here,,,LOL!.....Bill S

MosportGreen66
05-15-2016, 01:07 PM
Whoa... stunning. I would like to see more pics.

The '66 big block coupe is my all time favorite car. I know them very, very well <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif

Dan

JMS9
05-16-2016, 12:41 AM
Bill S- Congrats on being invited to the special collection!!!...what a great recognition. I would like to see photos of the car.

As requested, I will send along some more info on the Coupe in a separate post. -JMS

JMS9
05-16-2016, 01:09 AM
In response to the comments, firstly thank you for the kind words. In response to the interest in more information, the coupe is just an honest original car. The paint has never been touched up and as a result, it shows as 50 years old in places...a woman owned the car in the earliest years and drove the car a short distance to work and it got a little too much sun on the upward facing surfaces. The interior, chassis and mechanical are in outstanding condition. The car has never been 'massaged' or otherwise to improve the presentation. The car has great documentation and engine stamp pad...both have been through CCAS. The car is scary fast and runs like new...I drive it regularly. The Coupe has the 5-star bowtie award but has not been judged for benchmark...I do not plan to ever sell the car so further awards are not a focus. I am always glad to take the car to events...about 2 weeks ago someone who is active in the corvette hobby asked if I would be willing to send the Black Coupe to Indy for the Special Collection. I told him I would but he subsequently told me he inquired and the docket is already filled. Not sure what you guys would like to see in terms of photos, but here are a few more photos of other parts of the car. -JMS

olredalert
05-16-2016, 12:52 PM
----Thanks, JMS! Take a look in the members rides area of this sight and you can see some pics of our 66. I brought it to the top for you..
----Your coupe is a great car and would have been a fine addition to the Special Collection. Is it a late car???....Bill S

JMS9
05-16-2016, 02:08 PM
Bill- Outstanding Laguna Blue car!!!....arguably my favorite color. So rare to find....great combo with top and side pipes to accent the color. Also a nice back story...the great ones are worth waiting for. Thanks for referring me to your photos.

Yes, the Coupe is a car that was built fairly late in the production cycle. How did you know?

olredalert
05-16-2016, 02:37 PM
----Seat belt style is after mid-year change!

----You should come to Indy in June anyway and bring your car, of course. Not all of us are NCRS slappys. Id love to see yours in person. Are you anywhere close?.

----As an aside, the 67 mentioned was at the time a good friend of mines from New Hampshire. Terry Carney (RIP) found it for him and when Dave saw it at Bloomington that year he couldn't keep his eyes off it the whole weekend. Shortly there after the car changed hands,,,,LOL! He and I together were probably the 1st people that figured out why 4 valve cover bolts weren't painted along with the other 10 from that very car. Do know why???.......Bill S

TimG
05-16-2016, 02:41 PM
Matt, when this thread started your car was the one I thought may be the one that was being described. I didn't want to say anything, but I'm glad you did.

Very cool car.

JMS9
05-17-2016, 04:43 PM
Bill- I have tried to solve the riddle and don't have the experience to answer the question. What is the reason?

Hi Tim. You are correct that when I saw the unrestored BG hall of fame car, I was surprised at the similarity with my '66 and wanted to know more about it. I thought I should clarify for the group why I was interested, so I posted the photos of my car. This forum is really helpful. Look forward to talking with you soon.

olredalert
05-17-2016, 08:16 PM
----Matt,,,In 67 427 powered cars with radios had a different method of attaching the radio suppression grounds than 65 and 66 as the heat shields wernt used anymore. There were clips that ran under the 1/4/twenty valve-cover bolts. The 4 clips on each side of the motor were joined two and two and put under two of the valve-cover bolts. The factory decided that the regular length bolts were then too short. Guys on the assembly line would yank two bolts out of each side that had been painted Chevy orange and replace them with slightly longer bolts that were, of course, not painted. Weird but true!......Bill S

JMS9
05-18-2016, 12:12 AM
Bill- how did you figure this out? Must have interviewed workers on the line? -Matt

olredalert
05-18-2016, 01:05 PM
----I would have to give the nod to Dave on that one. We were both wondering why at the same time and later that day I believe he found two other original 67 427s being judged and came back to the maroon car and asked if he could take one red painted bolt and one unpainted bolt out and noticed the length difference. I think it took awhile longer to verify the findings but we both agreed that day.......Bill S