PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Elec Winch in My Enclosed Trailer ????

CamarosRus
05-14-2016, 09:42 PM
Asking to SEE PICTURES of Elec Winch/Battery Installations so as I can copy to mine.

20' 10K Pace American Shadow GT

Planning on buying ??? from Harbor Freight

Concerned about cable cutting or marring vinyl floor at rear of trailer ???

Concerned about adding additional steel under trailer
I have MIG welder and steel

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/CamarosRus/Dodge%20Ram%2003/SnapOnToolBox019.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/CamarosRus/Dodge%20Ram%2003/tn_PaceShadowGTRAWpic004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/CamarosRus/Dodge%20Ram%2003/tn_RobbNewbyCamaroRepair079-1.jpg

bergy
05-14-2016, 11:18 PM
Nice looking trailer. Whatever you do, don't do with a wire cable! You can get more braid on your winch & it's safer. Also, won't mar the floor.

CamarosRus
05-15-2016, 10:28 AM
Bergy, Thanks for the reply, but I dont understand your suggestion ?????

bergy
05-15-2016, 10:59 AM
There is a braided fiber (like parachute cord) line that you can get to replace the wire cable. The main advantage is that if it ever breaks, it won't snap back and injure you like steel cable will. Also, you can get a lot more of it on the winch thimble and it won't mar you floor or your car.

You can get a mounting plate (actually about a 30" long piece of steel channel) from your trailer store. It has pre-drilled holes for bolting it directly into your trailer frame.

I stopped buying expensive trailers 2 trailers ago. Mine sits outside all year & I only use it 6 or 7 times a season. I always order the best hitch, suspension and axles that they offer, but I've found it most economical to just trade a cheap one in every 4 years on a new one.

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2016/05/full-2170-43635-winch_1.jpg
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2016/05/full-2170-43636-winch_2.jpg

68l30
05-15-2016, 04:18 PM
I have a Superwinch installed in my Pace. I actually just spoke wth them ( Superwinch) about upgrading to the nylon rope. Their advise was not to do it. The drum with the nylon rope combo generates an excessive amount of heat and will cause issues with the brake and bearings. Now, if your winch is designed for it, no issue. My SW 3500 was not.

I fabricated some 1/4 plates formed at 90' to bolt to my center frame tube. These mount directly to the winch and center the load on the frame. Not going anywhere. I mounted my battery directly above my winch to optimize floor space.

BIG

COPO CARTEL
05-16-2016, 02:13 AM
Something else ...get yourself load leveling bars and sway control ...it distributes the weight on the hitch evenly ....also get a ball that's rated MORE than the Trailer capacity...( 15k or 20k )....the reason why is if you have an accident ...the insurance company can possibly deny the claim due to an underrated ball. I do not put locks on my trailer doors while in transit ...in case of a fire .... I also put a large knife just inside my trailer door to cut straps in case of a fire. You can also hide a hockey puck tracking device in case the rig is stolen. I mounted my spare in the rear just inside the door for easy access and not in the floor so I wouldn't have to move the car to get to it ... For $150 get yourself a electric tongue jack...you will be happy ...also mount a trickle charger for your battery for lights, wench, jack etc

SS427
05-16-2016, 12:46 PM
Another couple of tips. Unhook the battery in car and carry a large ABC fire extinguisher mounted just inside the door or carry it in the cab of the truck. Lastly, buy some 8' pieces of foam pipe insulation and slip on the door cables when you lower the rear door. This will protect the paint if you get too close.

COPO CARTEL
05-16-2016, 05:42 PM
Cut yourself 3 blocks of 6"x6" wood 12"-16" long and cut each end at a 45* angle ...that way if you have a flat while traveling ...you can pull the trailer up onto the blocks to change your tire ...this acts as your jack if you have a flat on 1 of the 2 tires

68l30
05-17-2016, 01:48 PM
Winch & battery mount...

BIG

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2016/05/full-105-43731-img_0126.jpg

CamarosRus
06-09-2016, 03:41 PM
I still have NOT yet mounted a winch in my trailer, but did pick up the cheap ($49.00) 2500# with remote Harbor Freight model.
Has 50 foot of cable and only two mounting holes.

You can SEE ABOVE my trailer has a Vinyl Floor. Also has three recessed aluminum tracks running front to rear where adjustable
hold down rings can be inserted/fastened.

I do NOT want the cable to drag on vinyl and mar the vinyl....How about if I had several thin nylon/plastic one foot long "bars"
attached to floor in center that cable could glide over ????. Know that they could be tripping hazard but they would be brite in color !!!

Anybody else think having battery above winch is good idea, or better on the floor over in far corner under 110Volt wall mounted
shore power box ????

THANKS for those that SHOW ME pictures or send me pictures

68l30
06-09-2016, 04:16 PM
The only reason I mounted my battery over the winch was to save space. I'm 6'4" and want all the room in front (V nose) to lay down and hook up the car and maximize my space. My cable never touches the floor of the trailer, until I set it there unhooking the car. When I spool in the cable without a load, it's in my hand (safety lanyard attached) holding a small drag so it will spool correctly-evenly.

BIG

BLACKLS5
06-09-2016, 06:33 PM
Chuck don't take this the wrong way but do you really want to trust your car to a $49.00 Harbor Freight winch? I need one for my old rusty open trailer and a buddy suggested the same. I said who's going to pay for the damage when my Chevelle goes through my garage wall? I'm all about being cost conscious but just not sure that's the place to do it. JMO even though you didn't ask....LOL

Jim_Hauls
06-22-2016, 10:55 AM
I have used HF winches for years

Currently I use a 12K Badlands because it has a spool tensioner

There are only a very few winch motor manufacturers in the world

If you pay high $$$ - you are paying for name branding

I always get a wireless remote & unplug it while not in use

Jim

CamarosRus
06-25-2016, 04:35 AM
I returned the 2500# HF winch and exchanged for the 3500# Model...........just cause !!!!!!

I havent made any progress on installing as I'm first installing D-Ring tie downs in each corner of the trailer.

My trailer came with that aluminum track material that runs front to rear using movable tie down points.......
but last week front of aluminum was pulling UP as it wasnt fastened into metal......

I'm still asking for YOU to send ME pics of your winch and battery installs.......Please !!!!!!!!!