PDA

View Full Version : Plum Crazy Coronet

old5.0
05-25-2016, 01:03 PM
Buddy of mine just dug this one up:

http://i66.tinypic.com/35m04jr.jpg

70 Coronet 500, 318 auto in Plum Crazy with a white painted top. This is the fourth non-high perf. purple Mopar I've run across in the wild, and the second B-Body (the other two were 318 70 Challengers that in an odd coincidence were sitting 50 yards apart in the same Nebraska junkyard).

Anyway, I've been out of the Mopar game a long time. If this thing was a nice survivor it'd certainly be worth decent money, but is it worth putting back together in the shape it's in? It's rare certainly, but does anybody care? Does purple trump 318? My instinct is "no", but let's hear some thoughts.

442w30
05-25-2016, 04:52 PM
The finished product will cost the same as a Super Bee or R/T, but be worth less. 'Tis a shame....

BJCHEV396
05-25-2016, 07:59 PM
Would have to be a labor of love and not in it to make money or even break even.I've always liked Plum Crazy.Back in the day I had my '66 Chevy2 painted that color!

njsteve
05-25-2016, 09:16 PM
It would be a great basis for a 1970's Day-2 street machine if it has a rust free shell. But like the other guys said, it will cost the same amount of $$$$ to repair the body and find good sheetmetal as if you were doing an R/T or a Superbee. Keep in mind that the 1970 Coronet (and R/T and Superbee) had a one-year only sheetmetal style. In addition, you are fighting with Superbird owners for parts - those front fenders and hood are commonly employed as the basis for Superbird restoration parts. The Superbird used '70 Coronet fenders that had the lower front section trimmed off. The Superbird hood was a modifed 1970 Coronet hood with an additional front edge welded on.

300deluxeL79
05-25-2016, 09:48 PM
so restore it and add a 383/440

old5.0
05-25-2016, 09:56 PM
Yeah, you guys are all in the same place I am. Neat car, but "neat" is all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In addition, you are fighting with Superbird owners for parts - those front fenders and hood are commonly employed as the basis for Superbird restoration parts. The Superbird used '70 Coronet fenders that had the lower front section trimmed off. The Superbird hood was a modifed 1970 Coronet hood with an additional front edge welded on. </div></div>

I was actually eyeballing those fenders for just that reason. I've got another buddy in the planning stages of a pro touring style 'Bird build. We're going to look at a clean 70 Road Runner roller for him to start with next weekend. He's already got the hood. We may stop while we're out and talk him out of the fenders on the purple car.

Big Block Bill
05-26-2016, 12:44 AM
Kinda like my California Black Plated 1966 Toronado, Rust free, with Original Interior &amp; Exhaust system with the Original October 1965 dated Muffler! Takes 3 times as long to restore correctly, costs 3 times as much, and worth only 1/3 of a Camaro or Chevelle when it's done. But what a NEAT CAR! Something about front wheel burn outs with a Big Block.... Priceless!

Bill

A12pilot
05-26-2016, 11:48 AM
Man...if that car was a little more together and didn't need so much it'd be worth it just for its uniqueness. Not many painted roof B-Bodys. But as everyone said, that's one you'd do because you want to, not for a profit <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif

Cheers! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

DWR
05-26-2016, 01:25 PM
Painted tops are rare. I have a friend that has a 70 Bee, Go-Mango with a black painted top and it's a one of one.

old5.0
05-26-2016, 01:39 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Painted tops are rare. I have a friend that has a 70 Bee, Go-Mango with a black painted top and it's a one of one. </div></div>

I know of a Limelight white painted top 70 GTX. Never heard of another one like it.

442w30
05-26-2016, 09:11 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Painted tops are rare. I have a friend that has a 70 Bee, Go-Mango with a black painted top and it's a one of one. </div></div>

Of course - because EVERY car is 1 of 1. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif

Chrysler didn't keep records of how many were built in certain color combinations, but they did keep track of how many were ordered with two-tone paint:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Super Bee</span>
Coupe: 2.3% of 3,630 = approx 83
Hardtop: 2.0% of 10,507 = approx 210

Those are for US-spec vehicles and don't include Canadian or Export vehicles.

I don't have Coronet 500 numbers, but I suspect they'd have a bigger percentage.

442w30
05-26-2016, 09:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old5.0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I know of a Limelight white painted top 70 GTX. Never heard of another one like it. </div></div>

Approx 93 GTXs had two-tone paint. As with most Mopar break-downs, it's for US-spec cars only.

old5.0
05-26-2016, 10:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 442w30</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old5.0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I know of a Limelight white painted top 70 GTX. Never heard of another one like it. </div></div>

Approx 93 GTXs had two-tone paint. As with most Mopar break-downs, it's for US-spec cars only. </div></div>

I was referring to Limelight/White, not two-tone paint in general. Same guy with the GTX also had a Y3/X9 69 Road Runner. Both cars sold new in Topeka.

442w30
05-27-2016, 01:13 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old5.0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I was referring to Limelight/White, not two-tone paint in general. </div></div>

Kinda confused by your reply, but I figured since I had my paperwork out for the EK2/TX1 Bee, I could show approx. how many two-tone GTXs were built.

old5.0
07-02-2016, 05:24 AM
Here's another one you don't see everyday:

http://i65.tinypic.com/1zwm32q.jpg

Challenger SE 383-4 in Limelight.

I also know of a Moulin Rouge 70 B'cuda Gran Coupe 383-4 not far from where this car is located.

bergy
07-02-2016, 08:45 AM
If anyone has serious interest in one of these cars completely restored, I ran into a guy who was selling his Vitamin C - B '70 hemi Challenger. NOM, but nicely done. Asking $110k. Lot of money, but hard to find an original hemi car restored in a great color for that. Not my car &amp; I just met the guy. If interested - PM me for contact info. I would have bought it myself, but I already have one!

442w30
07-02-2016, 07:00 PM
Approx 193 Challenger SEs in Sublime.

And the Gran Coupe? Wow, almost my dream E-body! Approx 7 Gran Coupe V8s built in FM3.

old5.0
07-02-2016, 09:10 PM
The pink one is a neat car. Next time I go home for one of the local car shows I'll snap a pic if he has it out.

442w30
07-02-2016, 09:20 PM
Would love to see it.

Jack_Tar
07-16-2016, 04:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300deluxeL79</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so restore it and add a 383/440 </div></div>

I agree! Restomod the car. Sure, paint it purple, but put the guts and drivetrain in it that you want. Doing it that way will still have to be a labor of love, but then you can drive your investment out of it and not wory about the impact on the value.