PDA

View Full Version : Towing with a wheel dolly...

markinnaples
05-26-2016, 02:29 PM
I wanted to tow my Camaro to a few shows that are just a wee bit too far to drive (100+ miles) and was wondering how far I could tow it with a front wheel dolly before it started being detrimental to the car.
Any thoughts from you all?

ted
05-26-2016, 03:15 PM
Why not put an ad on-line requesting "anyone wanting to rent a trailer with brakes for the season?" Anything can happen on the open road. You do not wanta lose your Camaro / tow vehicle and whatever else going the cheapie route. Only if I was stuck $$$wise would I do this..
With a dolly, would it be not also be a mite more easy to steal?

Ted

markinnaples
05-26-2016, 03:36 PM
I was just planning on using it for day trips; head out in the morning and come home that night. There are a fair number of cruises about 120 mi from home, so I'd like to hit those. I get your point about the theft deal and may consider getting an open trailer instead, just wondered if a tow dolly was totally out of the question.

ssl78
05-26-2016, 03:46 PM
The problem with flat towing a rear wheel drive car with a manual trans is that by turning the rear wheels the trans can not get lubricated correctly and can lock up. That is why you either need rear tow hubs or take out the driveshaft when doing it. I believe Uhaul rents car trailers for around 38.00 a day if only using a few times a year thats the way to go.

SuperNovaSS
05-26-2016, 04:24 PM
I thought that was for automatics, not manual transmissions.

Jason

ssl78
05-26-2016, 04:41 PM
The input shaft on a manual trans turns the countershaft which acts as a oil pump to lubricate everything. When flat towing the rear wheels turn the out put shaft and doesnt turn the countershaft so the out put shaft bearings and free wheeling gears are not being lubricated, not sure about automatics probably the same

earntaz
05-26-2016, 04:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssl78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The input shaft on a manual trans turns the countershaft which acts as a oil pump to lubricate everything. When flat towing the rear wheels turn the out put shaft and doesnt turn the countershaft so the out put shaft bearings and free wheeling gears are not being lubricated, not sure about automatics probably the same</div></div>

You beat me to it ... right

markinnaples
05-26-2016, 04:56 PM
Valuable info, thanks for that. Prob end up with an open trailer to be safe.

PxTx
05-26-2016, 09:46 PM
Ya know, a part of me really would love to see you pull it to a show with an NMW set-up. I think it would certainly be a neat throwback! Maybe I'll stop threatening to do it and actually bring my 65 to a show this way, just for fun.

marxjunk
05-26-2016, 10:17 PM
RV people pull cars on dollies for 1000s of miles a year...

I get it..it's an old valuable car...but I see more trailers in ditches upside down and cars hanging off them than ever... I have never seen a dolly in the ditch..maybe the drivers are more cautious. I don't know....but I see enclosed trailers wrecked all the time too

I drive a lot for work so I see more than others..but If the owner of the car is good with it...why not