PDA

View Full Version : Well that was a pleasant little gift--or not.

VintageMusclecar
06-23-2016, 12:04 AM
So I'm out in the shop just a little while ago wrapping up for the day. I go to lower the garage door down when all of a sudden the garage door drops the last 12" or so to the floor and there's a lout *BANG!* immediately followed by the sound of something bouncing around in the shop. (Note that the 16'X7' garage door on my shop is solid wood and easily weighs several hundred pounds)

After a quick check to make sure I wasn't bleeding or missing any appendages, I took a look around and found these laying on the floor (I picked them up & placed them together before taking the pic):

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2016/06/full-1124-45198-016.jpg

I found this laying next to them:

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2016/06/full-1124-45199-017.jpg

I look up and see this:

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2016/06/full-1124-45200-018.jpg

THANK GOD no one was standing underneath when the springs broke.

Now I'm in a pickle; the Chevelle is parked directly underneath the other side of the door with those springs directly overhead. There's no way in hell I can lift the door by myself with only one side with spring assist, so until my contractor pal can swing by tomorrow to help me assess the situation, my paranoia levels are off the charts that the other springs are going to break and **ck up the Chevelle in the process.

In light of the absurd weight of my existing door, my contractor pal is going to get me a price on a modern replacement door + installation. Unfortunately the shop needs more repairs before a new door can be installed--namely where the springs on the other side of the door have actually pulled the exterior wall towards the inside of the shop due to the amount of tension they've had to have on them for all these years.

And as can always be expected, Mr. Murphy rears his ugly face once again--I was <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">just</span></span> starting to get a little $ ahead and was planning on getting the 302 back on the dyno in the next couple of weeks.

You ever get the impression that no matter how hard you try to accomplish something, certain things just do not seem meant to be? <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif

I'm not giving up yet, but DAMN this &quot;one step forward two steps backward&quot; shit sure is getting old.

Ryan1969Chevelle
06-23-2016, 12:17 AM
Lay some blankets on your car.

One door closes and another opens.

Ryan

njsteve
06-23-2016, 12:18 AM
Where is the safety wire that is supposed to run inside the spring? It is designed to catch and hold the broken spring when it snaps, instead of letting it fly across the room. I lose one of the springs on my doors at least once a year - over the wife's car which is in and out of that garage door several times a day. Get the heaviest rated pair you can find and replace them both at the same time.

You can always try to rig up a ratcheting come-along for the spring-less side and slowly ratchet the door up to get the Chevelle outside. As you get the door up, use several vice grips as chocks so it can't slip back down.

resto4u
06-23-2016, 01:40 AM
Get rid of the slinky springs. Get the horizontal spring over the top of the door.

PxTx
06-23-2016, 01:56 AM
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o8wlTG1O5Vc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o8wlTG1O5Vc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I have one of these. They require the tortious spring. More room overhead and I feel the spring is safer. I have another door with a standard operator and a tortious spring. Glad nobody got hurt and the car was not injured either.

earntaz
06-23-2016, 02:30 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where is the safety wire that is supposed to run inside the spring? It is designed to catch and hold the broken spring when it snaps, instead of letting it fly across the room. I lose one of the springs on my doors at least once a year - over the wife's car which is in and out of that garage door several times a day. Get the heaviest rated pair you can find and replace them both at the same time.

You can always try to rig up a ratcheting come-along for the spring-less side and slowly ratchet the door up to get the Chevelle outside. As you get the door up, use several vice grips as chocks so it can't slip back down.</div></div>

Yep -- done that on every door spring over the years ... and it works. Had one break over the 67' Vette and I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Simple to fix -- run a 3/16&quot; cable through the center of the spring from one end to the other. Attach each end to the rail frame work with cable clamps. Spring breaks all the pieces are retained by the cable. TAZ <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif

Mr. Chevy
06-23-2016, 02:55 AM
Eric, those heavy doors are a big problem for springs as you know... I would definitely switch to a lighter door..

Glad you were not hurt or the Chevelle was not damaged...

Rich

VintageMusclecar
06-23-2016, 03:52 AM
I'm on a crash course on garage doors as of this evening--I knew Jack Squat about servicing &amp; maintenance up until now, so please keep that in mind if I seem naive on the subject.

I never knew there were supposed to be cables inside the springs. These are the same springs that were originally installed when we built this garage ~30 years ago.

Apparently there are two grades of door springs, and you need to know the door weight in order to get the correct rated springs. Again--two person job (minimum), so I'm back to my contractor guy for assistance there.

My conundrum is--I'm assuming four decent springs aren't going to be cheap--do I spend $400-$500 or more Band-Aiding the existing situation or drop $1500+ on a new door? I need to do this job right the first time so I don't have to worry about it again in the near future.

Oh, and I wasn't kidding about the shop exterior wall being distorted from the old springs. I took this picture a few years ago to show another friend why installing a heating system was a lost cause until I got the structure itself repaired.

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2016/06/full-1124-45228-2013_01210007.jpg

The light you see emanating from around the door (mind you, the door is completely closed in that pic) is from the heat lamp that I have to keep on my air compressor pump in order to get it to start when it drops below about 30° or so.

I have a litany of issues to be addressed around here thanks to 20+ years of previous neglect (NOT on my part, but that's another story). I'm trying to pick them off one at a time as time &amp; resources allow, but for the last ~18 months I've been losing ground.

I won't even go into trying to get my father's house fixed up enough to sell it--between a rock &amp; a hard spot there too, but again, another rant for another time.

It is what it is I suppose. Do the best you can, cross your fingers &amp; hope for the best.

Oh, FWIW--they're calling for more nasty weather to come rolling through here sometime around 3:00 a.m. along with winds up to or beyond 80 MPH, plus we're under a Tornado watch until 5:00 a.m. Maybe mother nature will solve all these problems for me lol (just kidding--a little gallows humor).

More tomorrow--maybe! (lol!)

cook_dw
06-23-2016, 12:08 PM
Not sure what the final cost would be but if you can convert your existing setup and add this I would recommend it.. Around here one spring assembly is roughly $45. I had a spring break back about a year ago.. super easy to replace and set the tension. If you did decide to go this route then you will need the twin springs (one on either side of the center mounting. Mine only had one as it is an aluminum door with just a few picture windows.

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infgar/inftorsion/i/inffig2sm.jpg

earntaz
06-23-2016, 03:08 PM
If you don't want to spent the money right now ... get the 3/16&quot; cable and cable clamps and safety cable the remaining springs. Install one new spring and cable it as well ... TAZ

68l30
06-23-2016, 04:15 PM
The top rollers on your door should have a slide adjustment to help close that gap. It aint going to close one that big, but it can't hurt to close it some.

BIG

VintageMusclecar
06-23-2016, 04:20 PM
BIG;

It's not the track or rollers, the gap is there because the wall has distorted so badly from the spring tension.

I've come up dry so far today on replacement springs, but I have one other option to try shortly. If I can SAFELY get this heavy bastard raised up, I can just replace the springs for now until I can swing the new door and structural repairs to the shop. I'm still getting some estimates for the new door so I at least have some idea where I'll be at.

earntaz
06-23-2016, 06:44 PM
It would take some time -- but carefully use a come-along on the side with the missing spring. TAZ

VintageMusclecar
06-23-2016, 07:19 PM
My contractor pal hasn't contacted me yet (no real surprise there), so I went ahead and called a local garage door place to at least get the existing springs replaced for the time being (supposed to be here early tomorrow afternoon). They gave me a quote over the phone for a new door &amp; opener as well, and since I <span style="text-decoration: underline">just</span> had a good (^$) carb sell off the shelf, I *might* be able to make the new door happen sooner than later.

Fingers crossed...

mockingbird812
06-23-2016, 07:35 PM
Best of luck Eric!

VintageMusclecar
06-24-2016, 07:02 PM
Local garage door guy stopped by this morning.

I knew in an instant by the look on his face his assessment wasn't going to be good.

The replacement extension springs he bought with him have different style ends on them than my existing springs, so they weren't going to be a direct swap. (I did figure out a work-around, but I'll get back to that in a moment)

He really wasn't even interested in trying to repair the existing system. He advised switching to a torsion spring system, which may be my only temporary alternative.

He checked their inventory and they don't have a 16'X7' door in stock with windows, and windows are a must-have for me, and it's a minimum 2 week wait to order in a custom door.

I'm going to peruse a couple other local builder supply stores (already checked Lowes and Home Depot--they want more just for the door than the door company wants for the door, an opener AND installation!), maybe I can figure out a temporary work-around. I figured out how to attach the new style springs to the old style bracketry, so if I can find 4 suitable springs, I might be able to make that work for now. The biggest hurdle is going to be raising that heavy-assed door.

Oh, fwiw--the torsion conversion is a minimum $300.00 job, not including whatever else they may run into while trying to work around the warped exterior wall.

In the meantime I'm unable to live test anything since I can't open the door to get rid of the exhaust fumes. I'm getting what I can built so when the door's fixed I'll have everything possible ready to test.

Just another day in paradise. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smirk.gif

VintageMusclecar
06-24-2016, 07:19 PM
Found an insulated steel door with windows locally (Menard's) that will work--and is roughly HALF the price of those @ Home Depot &amp; Lowe's!--now I just need to find someone who can install it a.s.a.p.

olredalert
06-27-2016, 02:00 PM
----Eric,,,This saga brought back bad memories. When Jan and I came back from a brief vacation quite a while back I went to pull the door up for the garage in a separate cottage that was on our property. Jans (then) BMW wagon was stored there. Couldn't get the door to budge so I went in the other door. To my surprise, there was a sizeable dent in the hood. The spring just decided to break on its own. I have a good idea how you felt!....Bill S

VintageMusclecar
06-27-2016, 07:54 PM
I sure hope I'm not Jinxing myself here, but it appears there's a light at the end of this tunnel.

I called the garage door place this morning to inquire if they would be willing to do the installation if I provided the door, which (MUCH to my amazement) they agreed to. We're scheduled for Wednesday morning, and I'm going to go get the trailer shortly so I can pick up the door from Menard's either this evening or tomorrow.

Crossing everything that's anatomically possible to cross...

earntaz
06-27-2016, 08:02 PM
Hang in there Eric -- or is that a bad choice of words ... TAZ <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif

Xplantdad
06-27-2016, 08:50 PM
Hope it works out well!

VintageMusclecar
06-29-2016, 02:14 PM
New garage door is going up as I type...fingers crossed...

mockingbird812
06-29-2016, 03:46 PM
I'm sure that is a relief Eric. Best of luck. Pix when its done.

VintageMusclecar
06-29-2016, 07:22 PM
Click the pic.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d73/VMCP777/MISC/th_001_zpsppiwpjsx.JPG (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d73/VMCP777/MISC/001_zpsppiwpjsx.mp4)

What the garage door dude was anticipating to be a 2-3 hour job turned into a ~5 hour fiasco--but that shouldn't surprise anyone at this point.

Sorry if this seems like I made a mountain out of a mole hill.

(edited out a bunch of redundant bullsh*t)

Heading back out to the shop in a bit, got quite a bit to get caught up on.

earntaz
06-29-2016, 07:46 PM
Work good -- go long way!!

Xplantdad
06-29-2016, 08:05 PM
Very nice! I am going to try and put a new garage door opener in this weekend (maybe) on my 'free non-dialysis day' Saturday... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

olredalert
06-30-2016, 01:58 PM
----Eric,,,Looks like the same brand as the 7 new doors I had to step up for when we rehabbed our current house and built the cave. Good choice!!!.......Bill S

427TJ
06-30-2016, 03:27 PM
Just had new cables and springs put on two of my three cedar doors on Tuesday. Great guy, very competent, very fair price. Weighed the doors, put on the correct weight springs, adjusted the openers, lubed the hinges. Now they glide up and down with barely a sound and no binding.

VintageMusclecar
06-30-2016, 06:23 PM
This whole ordeal probably seems pretty silly to have made such a fuss over, but when you have so many things going wrong/falling apart at the same time it gets more than a little frustrating. Ever see that episode of M*A*S*H* (&quot;The Life You Save&quot;, season 9, 1981) where Hawkeye and Father Mulcahy are trying in vain to keep that giant pile of garbage from falling over?--liken it to that.

Thank God I'm not missing 75 food trays. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif

earntaz
06-30-2016, 07:12 PM
If you wake to see the sun -- its a good day ... TAZ <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif