PDA

View Full Version : Nice 427 COPO find of the day

the427king
07-09-2016, 07:51 PM
Received a call yesterday from a parts wanted ad from a gentleman in Mass. He stated he had a 427 Yenko chevelle motor that he bought in 1981 in Worcester Mass out of a newspaper ad and that it was in his kitchen since then[literally], He stataed his wife was finally tired of tripping on it after all these years . He said he was going to put it on craigslist but saw my ad along with me being local to him and said hed give me first shot at it . Went to see it and upon first glance it appeared to be a restamped motor. Upon closer inspection,it had the full untouched partial vin on the pad for a baltimore chevelle. It is a 512 4 bolt std bore dated Jan 16 1969 TO409MQ 19BXXXXXX,I do have record of another T0409MQ pad stamping in my old 427 chevelle,so it is a known date for these . ....upon even closer inspection today in the daylight , the 100% factory "Q" stamp was evident although weak between the M and the Q. Grinding marks appear to have been done with the head on . The gentleman was very honest and easy to talk to and was not the type of person that tells tall tales. When I first told him it was a restamp he seemed very surprised.Since I knew this block was sitting there for 36 years, I was also surprised. The evidence of a factory Q and a baltimore vin of a early June copo tells me the restamp was factory even though the two Qs arent identical to each other .Still has original oil pressure fitting in block and measures a perfect standard bore, not even .001 over. Note specifically the area around the M , which seems to have its own horizintal grinding or sanding.