PDA

View Full Version : wideband 02 sensor and AFR meter

Lynn
08-12-2016, 01:34 PM
wanting to get a wideband 02 sensor for tuning purposes. I have one permanently mounted in my vintage BMW turbo car. The new one will not be permanently mounted. Just temp install to fine tune carbs.
The one in my Bimmer is an Innovate, and I am not that happy with it, but can live with it. I had an AutoMeter before that, & it bit the dust. Have not been impressed with AutoMeter accuracy lately.

Any of you guys using AFR meters for tuning? What brand? Would like a recommendation.

VintageMusclecar
08-12-2016, 04:36 PM
I use this on my test engine:

https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/mediumlarge/FST-170402_QQ_ml.jpg

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fst-170402/overview/

The reviews aren't favorable but if you read them you'll understand why <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif

It's available in single or dual sensor for gas, E85, alcohol and diesel applications

Mine has read rich on my test engine (I've A-B compared it to an Innovative that was used in the dyno cell @ Kammers where I dyno my engines) for a long time, but I attribute this to the fact that the rings in my test engine were SHOT which allowed fuel into the crankcase and oil into the chambers.

This unit has the capability to datalog, but it requires an additional harness &amp; software and also requires a laptop to view the data.

I'll soon be using it both in my Chevelle and in my Malibu wagon--look for an update on that soon.

If you're interested in one of these FAST units, let me know.

Lynn
08-13-2016, 04:02 PM
I may wait and see how your update goes. Would like to see that in action.

VintageMusclecar
09-02-2016, 03:20 PM
Just to touch base on this again--

Now that the test engine is fresh, I can verify that the previous rich readings were definitely attributed to at least in part by the poor ring seal. The best I ever got a Quadrajet to idle on it before was in the mid 14's--any leaner and it would vehemently protest. I just finished live testing a `72 truck Quadrajet and it idles happily in the mid 15's. I've only had 2 Holleys on the engine so far since I got it back together, but I was able to get both of them to idle in the high 13's where they almost always wanted to idle in the mid-high 12's before.

Note--this is still with the original (and partially fouled) 02 sensors. I'll install the new ones shortly and see what it shows then.

I still don't have the wagon set up to use the meter yet, but I hope to get that done a.s.a.p. Now that I've managed to up the around-town mileage by almost 50%, I'm really curious to see what the fuel curve looks like now.

Lynn
09-02-2016, 04:57 PM
Was just thinking about this today. Thanks for the update.

Guessing the replacement O2 sensors are standard over the counter items?

My Innovate (permanently installed on the turbo BMW) uses an over the counter Bosch unit.

VintageMusclecar
09-02-2016, 05:33 PM
Yes. I found replacement Bosch 17018 02 sensors on eBay for $65.00 each--FWIW, COMP (who owns FAST) wants over $90.00 each for the same unit.

VintageMusclecar
09-03-2016, 10:06 PM
One more update:

I just replaced both of the original 02 sensors with the new replacements. I did a back-to-back test with the engine hot and the new sensors leaned the reading out ~another .3-.5 and dramatically stabilized the readings.

If this helps any, I just ordered 4 more sensors--two each for the Chevelle (already has 02 sensor bungs welded in the collectors) and for the wagon (needs bungs installed).

I've already purchased two additional harness kits (2 harnesses per kit, one for each sensor) so I can permanently wire then into the Chevelle and the wagon--all I have to do is disconnect the meter from the test engine and install it in whichever vehicle I need.

I am more than happy with this unit. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif