PDA

View Full Version : 1966 GTO convertible. A non kwhizz LS story...

tom406
01-23-2017, 04:32 AM
I'm often conflicted between preservation and hot rodding. I love survivors but I love a nicely done modified car as well. This conflict played out over the last year and a half while I shepherded the build of a 1966 GTO convertible for my client/friend. I had been trying to convince him to update his '66 Chevelle so that he and his wife would actually drive it. It was a typical SS396 clone with too much cam, too few manners and too little performance. I kept pitching better brakes, quicker steering, maybe even an LS crate motor. Later I found a rough but fairly complete '66 GTO convertible. It was a NOM 389/4sp factory air car, Turquoise in/out. I suggested that it would be a pretty car to restore, and he bought it. When I started planning the restoration, he said hold on, just do all that stuff you wanted to do to the Chevelle to this car instead. Yikes! You're the boss. Well, OK lets do this thing. The build was done by Chris Holstrom Concepts in Puyallup, WA over a 12 month period, with another couple months to finish sorting while it was shown.

tom406
01-23-2017, 05:30 AM
The GTO was no mint survivor, but it was a car I really wouldn't have dreamed of modifying this way. That said, I would never again start with a car this rough on a project of this type. Though I still don't like the idea of taking a really nice survivor or restoration and turning it into a modified, the practical and rational side of me TOTALLY understands, especially now. Reproduction stuff is OK at best, awful at worst, and makes everything take longer than you'd hoped. This build would have been time and money way ahead if I'd started with a cream puff.
That being said, we stripped this thing down and did it right. 480hp LS3/T56 6 speed, 3.89 9" rear, quick ratio steering box, SpeedTech suspension and frame stiffening brace, Viking coil overs all around, Wilwood discs on all four corners, 15x7 and 15x8 chrome Rally I's with 235 and 255 60/15 custom redline radials. Interior is handmade with custom black leather, with Hartz cloth canvas top and custom boot.
The car drives like a dream, that T56 is the BEST shifting manual transmission I've ever had the pleasure of driving. We debuted it at the GTOAA Nationals in July, where it received a Concours Gold certificate. It then went to Goodguys Pacific NW Nationals where it took a Winner's Circle GTO Pick of the show. Finally, in November it was invited to display at the Seattle International Auto Show, where I think it got the best response if only because the crowd wasn't expecting a tastefully tricked out GTO among all the new cars on display. It was quite the adventure-though the stress about killed me a couple times. No matter how clever you think you are, these projects can get the better of you.

COPO
01-24-2017, 03:11 PM
Wow, came out great. Congrats.

scuncio
01-24-2017, 05:54 PM
Neat car. The '66-67s look great in black.

tom406
01-26-2017, 10:13 PM
Thank you for the comments. It was a very unique opportunity. My only design parameters were it had to be a stick shift, it had to have 15" wheels, and later he decided it had to be black. Other than that, I was able to design it how I wanted and none of those parameters were difficult to incorporate. I'm looking forward to some more seat time next year.

427TJ
01-27-2017, 06:17 PM
Well done Tom.

grantprix
01-29-2017, 06:41 PM
Gorgeous '66! My favorite year GTO.

napa68
01-29-2017, 07:41 PM
Sweet build. Love how subtle it is!

Tim