PDA

View Full Version : 1965 Mustang Convert #s

MosportGreen66
01-28-2017, 12:02 PM
Hi Gents, my mom's cousin has a '65 Mustang convert I believe he is the original owner of. It has been sitting inside for about 30 years? I surmise it is nothing special but before I help him sell it, I want to decode the #s. Anyone have good sources online for a step by step process of decoding these cars? Cowl tag, motor, trans, rear are the main areas of concern.

Thank you,
Dan

442w30
01-29-2017, 01:29 AM
Post the data plate tag and I may be able to help. Unfortunately, the Marti Report is not available for anything before 1967.

tom406
01-29-2017, 02:31 AM
Door tag info isn't hard to come by on the internet. That will give you color, interior, sales district, transmission, rearend. Make sure the VIN is stamped on top of the driver's side fender apron under the hood. Then see if that is the same VIN on the door tag. That will hopefully verify that it hasn't been hit in the front too hard and the door goes with that car. If its not a K-code hipo car (or to a lesser extent, A-code 4bbl car) the truth is most buyers don't care that much about right transmission and rear. Unless removed during a rebuild, there will be tags affixed to the trans and rear that you will be able to decode. If its a V8 car, just make sure that all the wheels are 5 lug (I've seen both 5 lug front/4 lug rear and the reverse). If its not an early 65, everything will pretty much have C5 engineering part numbers cast or stamped on them. If a later motor was swapped in, often the intake manifold will be later and have a C6AE, C7AE, or C8AE casting number. Block numbers are tough to see, casting dates even tougher on small block Fords. Check under the dash and see if the cowl is rusted through and leaking, then check the floorpans. Those are bigger value issues for most early Mustang converts.