PDA

View Full Version : Winter Car Storage

Markyodb2
11-05-2017, 11:33 PM
To all,

Just wondering what everyone is doing to winterize and store there cars. Not sure if any one use's damprid and dryer sheets, or not recommended? I have my car in my heated garage with a exhaust fan I run here and there. Air movement is important but im wondering everyones set-up. In regards to carbs/fuel storage any specific recommendations?

thank you in advance!

RPOLS3
11-06-2017, 07:27 PM
To all,

In regards to carbs/fuel storage any specific recommendations?

thank you in advance!

I've had really good luck with using the ethanol formulated sta-bil and a full tank of gas before storage.

Steve Shauger
11-06-2017, 07:37 PM
To all,

Just wondering what everyone is doing to winterize and store there cars. Not sure if any one use's damprid and dryer sheets, or not recommended? I have my car in my heated garage with a exhaust fan I run here and there. Air movement is important but im wondering everyones set-up. In regards to carbs/fuel storage any specific recommendations?

thank you in advance!

For my cars not in heated storage I've used the Car Jacket product. You place the car in a bag with desiccants which removes moisture. In the spring they look good as new. I've used Stabil product for fuel preservation.

ALLZS
11-06-2017, 08:19 PM
Does anyone use the car capsule with the electric fan on it

rrover
11-07-2017, 03:28 PM
Steve what is dessicants?

Mr70
11-07-2017, 03:55 PM
Those annoying lil bags we get in almost everything we buy to keep out moisture.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiccant

William
11-07-2017, 04:15 PM
I have stored the same car every year since 1993; not climate controlled. Never used any fuel system additive; just fill the tank prior to storage. Starts right up six months later. I do put wood under the tires and have a tender on the battery.

When I was involved with the business, there were cars stored in the basement of the building for years with virtually no prep. Usually stated with some cranking, maybe some needed a snort of ether.

Billohio
11-07-2017, 04:23 PM
I use the car jackets too. Just make sure you dont have a set of headers warm when you park the car on the bag....

Steve Shauger
11-07-2017, 04:36 PM
I use the car jackets too. Just make sure you dont have a set of headers warm when you park the car on the bag....

Yes I make sure the bag is flat against the floor so as to not contact have any exhaust touch and melt a hole in bag. Also seal the car on a dry day to minimize initial moisture in the bag.

I started using them when I noticed in the spring that my car was actually sweating due differential temperature (the car being very cold and storage area warmed quickly). Just like an ice cold drink glass in the summer.

L78_Nova
11-07-2017, 07:37 PM
Car Jackets are Awesome for non-temperature controlled storage! Even bare metal rotor faces are still shiny and bright... no corrosion.
I also use a jacket in temperature controlled storage as it keeps the dust off of your cover. Cars come out as clean as they go in.
The re-usable canister dessicants also work great.

For fuel, I only run straight gasoline (NO ALCOHOL content). Alcohol causes issues because it absorbs moisture from the air and can also be corrosive to rubber and aluminum. (several bad alcohol dirt car experiences over the years).

If you must use alcohol content fuels then use a fuel stabilizer.

I also throw in half a dozen sticky traps just in case of critters... have only caught a few bugs.

Mr. Chevy
11-08-2017, 01:20 AM
Use dryer sheets for mice control also they hate the scent of those... Throw some in the interior, trunk and motor compartment...

I like Sea Foam for a fuel stabilizer or if your running race fuel it will be fine left alone..

Rich

68l30
11-08-2017, 03:01 AM
I couldn't agree more with Steve on the Car Jacket. I've been using mine for at least 20 years....Put it away on a dry day, add bucket of Damp Rid and zip it up.

BIG

flyingn
11-08-2017, 10:57 AM
For my cars not in heated storage I've used the Car Jacket product. You place the car in a bag with desiccants which removes moisture. In the spring they look good as new. I've used Stabil product for fuel preservation.

Exactly same situation as me..

Canuck
11-08-2017, 05:27 PM
Fortunately I get to run the cars every 4-6 weeks, always store on Radial tires, not bias ply. Stabil in the fuel and car covers, Garage is kept at 55-60 degrees. Use a moisture trap similar to what I use in my Airstream trailer available from all RV stores. Peppermint oil or Irish spring soap is a good rodent deterrent. We have a moderate climate here in Vancouver, so if the opportunity arises a car will get some exercise.

BJCHEV396
11-08-2017, 07:53 PM
Throw fuel stabilizer in tank,keep garage heated to 40F.,ceiling and floor fan on to circulate air,start once a month and glue traps on floor.

wannarun70
11-09-2017, 03:01 AM
Fortunately I get to run the cars every 4-6 weeks, always store on Radial tires, not bias ply. Stabil in the fuel and car covers, Garage is kept at 55-60 degrees. Use a moisture trap similar to what I use in my Airstream trailer available from all RV stores. Peppermint oil or Irish spring soap is a good rodent deterrent. We have a moderate climate here in Vancouver, so if the opportunity arises a car will get some exercise.

Used Irish spring soap a few years back and the mice ate almost two full bars.

Crush
11-09-2017, 11:55 AM
Used Irish spring soap a few years back and the mice ate almost two full bars.

Wow!

Charley Lillard
11-09-2017, 05:54 PM
Or park in a warm area.....:grin::CharleySucks:

Mr70
11-09-2017, 05:58 PM
But not too warm.

MosportGreen66
11-09-2017, 10:29 PM

Amazing... beautiful shot. AZ??

Dan

Vern B
11-10-2017, 01:58 AM
I've used the car jackets for years now also, excellent way to store in cold climate. I've worn out the dessicant in the past and have used oil dry for moisture absorption and it seems to work as good as dessicant....and cheaper. I spread a couple inches out on a cookie sheet, heat in the oven for a couple hours to dry it out and put a couple cookie sheets in the bag with the car.

I'm storing a car for the first time this year with bias plays and going to try these for elimination of flat sporting. Hopefully they help??

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073NQBJ1N/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Vern B
11-10-2017, 02:20 AM
I'm going to try one of these this year for the new car. Just arrived today and material is at least as heavy as car jacket and for comparable size is about $100 less than the car jacket. This place is the cheapest I found on the net and offers free shipping.

https://www.shednation.com/vehicle-covers-c-38.html

flyingn
11-10-2017, 12:53 PM
I'm going to try one of these this year for the new car. Just arrived today and material is at least as heavy as car jacket and for comparable size is about $100 less than the car jacket. This place is the cheapest I found on the net and offers free shipping.

https://www.shednation.com/vehicle-covers-c-38.html

Looks compatible to the car jacket. Ill bet its an overseas knockoff to the car jacket.

Vern B
11-10-2017, 01:19 PM
Looks compatible to the car jacket. Ill bet its an overseas knockoff to the car jacket.

Not completely sure, but I don't think so. Rhino Shelters produces a wide variety of temporary storage buildings out of the same, or similar, material. Producing these jackets would be a natural offshoot of production of those buildings.

I just received one yesterday that I ordered and the material is at least as heavy, or heavier than the 4 car jackets I have.

Guess I'll find out next spring.

enio45
11-10-2017, 02:20 PM

Yea, what is this winter storage thingeee????

L16pilot
11-10-2017, 05:58 PM
Thanks Steve and everyone for the Car Jacket recommendation...just ordered one...perfect timing.

WILMASBOYL78
11-14-2017, 01:52 AM
we have been car jackets fans for many years...they work great. Dryer sheets, de-humidity bags and we remove batteries...fuel stabilizer is a good idea regardless of what fuel you have.

Sammy likes our sleeping bags :smirk:

Salvatore
11-14-2017, 12:11 PM
YEP, sleeping bags a must in the Hudson Valley. Especially when Wilma has a sleep over and has to stay out in the garage with them. I hear he also has a couple electric blankets he uses if need be.

WILMASBOYL78
11-20-2017, 05:57 PM
very cold here today..windy...snow..had to turn on the electric blankets to keep the children warm.

-wilma :rolleyes2:

Salvatore
11-21-2017, 12:41 AM
already??

earntaz
11-21-2017, 01:00 AM
It was 71 in SA -- keep that snow up there ... TAZ

WILMASBOYL78
11-21-2017, 08:31 PM
Saw this link online today...nothing really new, but it might be helpful to some.

-wilma

*sleeping bags are optional :cool2:

http://mailchi.mp/mecum/winter-is-coming-tips-for-winterizing-your-vehicle?e=e8a1d68b6f

kwhizz
11-21-2017, 11:42 PM
Everyone send their cars to Charley's place for the Winter..........

Verne_Frantz
11-24-2017, 05:33 PM
For those who don't have a car jacket, I like a product called Fresh Cab. It's a combination of herbal stuff in a little sack that smells great but mice hate it. It's available at Tractor Supply stores here. They last about a month before you need to change them. If you can't smell them anymore, change them.
I also put plastic sandwich bags with rubber bands over the tailpipe ends and the air cleaner snorkel. My garage is not mouse proof so I have to take extra precautions.

Verne:biggthumpup:

396L78canuck
11-30-2017, 07:11 PM
Who makes the best one on the market? Do you need a soft cover underneath or do they come with a soft lining underneath. Thanks Bob
I am looking for one for my 2017 anniversary issue Camaro

69 Post Sedan
11-30-2017, 08:01 PM
I just purchased the Car Jacket https://www.carbag.com/carjacket/ for my Chevelle.

I’m storing the car in my trailer. I removed the battery, laid desiccant bags in and around the car then put my car cover on it before zipping up the bag.

The other day I had to get in to the trunk. When I unzipped the bag, all I could smell was gas fumes. I contacted them and they said some people put air fresheners around the car otherwise they would refund my money if I wasn’t satisfied.

My take on this is the bag is very tight but I don’t like the idea of the fumes being in the bag making the car smell like a gas tank.

Any suggestions?

Kurt

earntaz
11-30-2017, 08:24 PM
AND one spark from static electricity or other forms of stray voltage ... not good!!!

69 Post Sedan
12-01-2017, 01:27 AM
After more discussion with my wife and friends, I’m reluctantly returning the bag. I really like the idea but I believe the fuel smell is due to the vent on top of the gas tank. Unless......someone has a better idea. :dunno:

Kurt

WILMASBOYL78
12-04-2017, 07:16 PM
We have used the bags for many years....with no fuel smell issues.

Perhaps I just didn't notice, but it certainly hasn't been pronounced. Maybe there is a way to vent the gas tank to the outside..?? the bags do provide quality protection for the cars...we typically remove the battery, use dehumidity bags and dryer sheets, cover with the cloth cover and zip it up.

good luck..

-wilma

earntaz
12-04-2017, 07:55 PM
Good idea -- there has to be away to vent the fuel tank cap/system to the outside ... just changes in barometric pressure will cause the fuel system to vent ... TAZ

68camaroz28
12-15-2017, 12:15 PM
Who makes the best one on the market? Do you need a soft cover underneath or do they come with a soft lining underneath. Thanks Bob
I am looking for one for my 2017 anniversary issue Camaro

Yes Bob, you need to have a good preferably soft car cover on prior to placement of car jacket cover. Another good tip when zipping up is leave a few inches open and place the hose of your shop vacuum in to assist with sucking the air out. Good idea to have the car at ambient temperature, push back or forward from resting position, place car jacket where desired, push car back in position and button up.

396L78canuck
12-15-2017, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the reply,Bob

68Tiger
12-29-2017, 11:37 PM
I just purchased the Car Jacket https://www.carbag.com/carjacket/ for my Chevelle.

I’m storing the car in my trailer. I removed the battery, laid desiccant bags in and around the car then put my car cover on it before zipping up the bag.

The other day I had to get in to the trunk. When I unzipped the bag, all I could smell was gas fumes. I contacted them and they said some people put air fresheners around the car otherwise they would refund my money if I wasn’t satisfied.

My take on this is the bag is very tight but I don’t like the idea of the fumes being in the bag making the car smell like a gas tank.

Any suggestions?

Kurt

I live in Michigan and use the Car Jacket car bag with desiccant to store my 69 Camaro RS. It was recommended to me by numerous car guys. The gas smell is normal. Do not keep opening the bag to check the car as it will diminish the effects of the desiccant. I will admit the first year I used it I was skeptical because of checking the car and the fuel smell. I have since learned from experience, put it in the bag and leave it alone. Important to roll the windows down 3 to 4" before zipping up bag . Once you remove the car from the jacket the odor will completely dissipate within a few hours. The jacket protects the car from rust, corrosion, moisture, dust, dirt, and insects. Your car will be as pristine as when you put it away. I would highly recommend it. Pine Ridge Enterprise the mfg. stands behind their product and is always available to answer any questions.