PDA

View Full Version : 69 L78 engine install

Joe69BB
11-28-2017, 05:21 AM
Hi All,
I will be reinstalling my L78 engine back into my 69 Nova SS soon. It has a turbo 400 trans that was removed after the the engine was initially removed. My question is, can the engine and trans be installed bolted together as one unit? The room from firewall to radiator support is very tight, so any thoughts and/or ideas on how to do this if possible would be very much appreciated. I want to avoid any problems that may cause any possible install issues and potential scratches due to a really tight fit going in. Thank you.
Joe

69novamanrick
11-28-2017, 12:38 PM
Guys do this on a daily basis. Its best to have an engine leveler attached between the lift and engine to tilt the engine and transmission down under the firewall tunnel and level the setup as its being lowered into position. Usually best with two or more people working with the install process. For best results, Ive always installed engine and transmission without the water pump, pulleys, and fan blade. Ive always installed those after the engine and transmission have been set into place. Much easier to work with and no interference with the radiator or support. Everyone has their own way or technique, but this works best for me.

bbbentley
11-28-2017, 01:52 PM
Put a plug in the tail shaft of trans., like an old input shaft. Make sure you secure it with a wire or duct tape, unless you like messes? Put the front of the car up on jack stands. You don't need a leveler. Use a floor jack under the trans. you may have to hold the trans down with your hand, as you lower, until you get the trans under the tunnel. Lower engine a little, stop. Then jack up on trans. keep doing this and pay attention to things getting hung up on the firewall, etc...until the engine is in place.

Joe69BB
11-29-2017, 05:06 AM
Thanks guys for your suggestions and help.
Joe

JRSully
11-29-2017, 10:58 AM
If you can yank the rad support/radiator possibly, it makes the job MUCH easier, just slide the engine/trans unit right in through the front and drop on the mounts. As noted, it is VERY tight dropping in the unit with all the sheet metal in place, especially with an Auto trans (longer than a 4psd usually). Good luck with it

Joe69BB
11-30-2017, 05:33 AM
Thank you JR
I love that Fathom Blue color and the 4 spd.

big gear head
11-30-2017, 12:31 PM
Put a heavy blanket on the firewall to prevent scratches from the transmission. Cover the radiator support with a fender cover or blanket. Get at least 2 people to help guide it in.

Joe69BB
04-05-2019, 03:53 AM
Thank you JR
I love that Fathom Blue color and the 4 spd.
Hi JR,
You responded back in 2017 to a question I had about installing my 396 L78 engine and attached turbo 400 trans into my 1969 Nova SS. Everything came out OK and I am now selling my car because I want a very similar car with a 4 speed. Either a '69 or '70.
Would you have any interest in selling your 1970 fathom blue Nova?
I can be reached at 949-338-4633.
Joe
My car is listed on Ebay and Craigslist prinarily on the west cost. It is Marron in color, 56,000 miles and rides and runs great. Very clean and original car.