PDA

View Full Version : Car Covers

BTL
02-19-2018, 06:21 PM
Anyone have any advice on how to clean a car cover? Would like to take it to a Dry cleaners, however can not find one that will do it. I've read to wash it and let it hang dry, don't really have a place to let it hang dry.

Big Block Bill
02-19-2018, 06:43 PM
I have never been able to clean any brand of cover I have ever owned, you just can't get them CLEAN. Original GM, California Car Cover, Corvette America, or SS-396 (Ground Up) I'd just buy a new cover. For $150.00, your time is worth more than that. JMHO

Bill

m22mike
02-19-2018, 08:14 PM
I had my Plush Califonia duster cover laundered at a local cleaners. They had no problem with the size. Came out great.

Mike

The Boss
02-20-2018, 12:02 PM
I've run them through the washer here and then hung them on the rail of my deck.

Most laundromats have larger washers you can run them through too.

Burd
02-20-2018, 02:00 PM
I called cal car cover, 1/2 cup if a low suds cleaner , simple green works. Go to the Quarter wash, it's like 6$ to wash it, it HAS YO BE IN A FRONT LOADER. The big one too, don't dry it, I do mine in the winter, drys fast in the house w/ heat on. I'm single, if your married, your wife will like it over the sofa and a few chairs fir a day or so while it drys.
I take a Coffee in while its washing, a lots of broke single moms bending over loading wash. Enjoy, lmao..
They come out like new, I buy the heavy back ones, they don't show black from tires. And when ordering, tell them to leave the goofy logo off.

frankk
02-20-2018, 07:41 PM
I've always just washed mine in a 5 gallon bucket with a delicate detergent (woolite) Just agitate with your hands and rinse 3 or 4 times. Hang to dry on a good old fashioned clothes line.

Burd
02-21-2018, 01:58 PM
What you cant do is cover a dirty car, you gotta detail mist it off first.

NorCam
02-25-2018, 04:13 PM
I use these light weight indoor car covers made of a stretchable cotton lycra material and when removed they are a small little bundle of balled up fabric. Easily washed in gentle machine load (front load type) or hand washed and hung to dry. I used to have those thick grey covers with the fleece but they were so big all I could do was take them to the dry cleaners to wash at $50 a pop. Needless to say those are no longer used around here.

http://preview.ibb.co/cMq3Lx/Covers.jpg (http://ibb.co/koNuSc)

Crush
02-25-2018, 07:21 PM
I use these light weight indoor car covers made of a stretchable cotton lycra material and when removed they are a small little bundle of balled up fabric. Easily washed in gentle machine load (front load type) or hand washed and hung to dry. I used to have those thick grey covers with the fleece but they were so big all I could do was take them to the dry cleaners to wash at $50 a pop. Needless to say those are no longer used around here.

http://preview.ibb.co/cMq3Lx/Covers.jpg (http://ibb.co/koNuSc)

Do you have a brand name?
Thx

Xplantdad
02-25-2018, 07:32 PM
I go to the local Laundromat with quarters...and wash and dry it there...comes out great. California car cover. :biggthumpup:

BTL
02-25-2018, 07:57 PM
It is probably 25 years old. Never outside. Replaced it about 10 years ago , to cover the car while I got this one cleaned. Never happened. Not sure the make, big heavy, fleece lined. Dry cleaners won't clean it. Might try washing it as suggested and let it air dry in the spring.

67BelAir427
02-27-2018, 12:15 AM
A few years ago I took my synthetic cover to a busy laundramat with commercial size machines. Washed in cold water, and then placed it in an oversize dryer with the heat setting to COOL. No heat used at all. Left and returned half an hour later. Walked in and all I could smell was burning plastic. Seems the settings on the dryer were not functioning.Huge hole melted through the cover, melted plastic ... I managed to bundle up the cover and get out of the place without getting attacked. The manufacturer sent me a yard of the fabric and I had an awning repair company sew a patch. Have not been back to the laundramat since.

NorCam
02-27-2018, 04:06 PM
Do you have a brand name?
Thx

Onyx Cover. Bought a few off eBay seller Autofunparts $139 each (https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1969-Chevy-Camaro-Indoor-Car-Cover-1st-Generation-Custom-Fit/273047669839?fits=Year%3A1969%7CModel%3ACamaro&hash=item3f92e8cc4f:g:NXsAAOSwzPBZnG~1&vxp=mtr)

jdv69z
02-27-2018, 07:18 PM
Walked in and all I could smell was burning plastic. Seems the settings on the dryer were not functioning.Huge hole melted through the cover, melted plastic ... I managed to bundle up the cover and get out of the place without getting attacked.

I'm sorry about the ruined car cover, but the line about not getting attacked made my day! :biggthumpup:

The Boss
02-28-2018, 11:57 AM
A few years ago I took my synthetic cover to a busy laundramat with commercial size machines. Washed in cold water, and then placed it in an oversize dryer with the heat setting to COOL. No heat used at all. Left and returned half an hour later. Walked in and all I could smell was burning plastic. Seems the settings on the dryer were not functioning.Huge hole melted through the cover, melted plastic ... I managed to bundle up the cover and get out of the place without getting attacked. The manufacturer sent me a yard of the fabric and I had an awning repair company sew a patch. Have not been back to the laundramat since.

I've been thinking about this post since I read it yesterday - if you set the machine right and it ruined your cover, why didn't you walk up to the owner and demand a replacement?

Burd
02-28-2018, 01:16 PM
I like the thick ones, I've had a few close calls with scrapes, the thick cover saves you. It's like $6 a year to wash.
You have to use a front loader, home washers aren't big enough.
Do not put in a dryer, I do mine when the heats still on and it dries fast.