PDA

View Full Version : Using only 5 gallons of Evaporust to clean a 327 block!

PxTx
05-20-2019, 03:34 PM
I first learned of Evaporust on this forum when Charley mad a post several years back. Here is a tip for a way I was able to use one 5 gallan container to submerge an engine block.

https://youtu.be/LH5GwVC6zsk

I hope the link works and this video can help a few projects down the road.LH5GwVC6zsk

Mr70
05-20-2019, 04:02 PM
Nice,when you submerged the block the 2nd time,did you use the exact same Evaporust,or open up the 2nd container?

PxTx
05-20-2019, 04:17 PM
I re-used the original evaporust. By the end of the 7 days, I feel it was pretty black and spent- but there was an above average amount of rust on this block.

Tracker1
05-20-2019, 08:15 PM
Great experiment - I'm definitely gonna try this, thanks!

John Brown
05-20-2019, 08:40 PM
Nice save on a scarce Chevy II block. :biggthumpup:

Mr70
05-21-2019, 05:22 PM
Paul,is it a 350cid. or a 327cid. block?

bbbentley
05-21-2019, 05:59 PM
I have derusted many an item using muriatic acid, which is HCL, I diluted by at least 75% (3 parts water to 1 part acid), of course. I have also used straight vinegar. A little slower, but result the same. I can buy a gallon of white vinegar for a little over a $1 at the $ store. The acid is maybe $5 for a gallon, but makes 4 gallons. I have not used Evaporust. Can anyone tell me if they have done both, Evaporust vs. HCL, and how they compare?

PxTx
05-21-2019, 06:00 PM
I mistakenly said 350 in the beginning of the video. It is a 327 block for a 67 Nova 275hp 4 speed.

PxTx
05-21-2019, 06:23 PM
For me the big value is the fact is that Evaporust only eats rust!

If the rust is not equal in all areas, how do you feel about continuing to eat away at good clean metal- such as the stamped pad area since many people clean it to help I'd a block. The rest of the block is still rusty. What about loosening lifter bores?

If I can use a $70 bucket of evaporust, vs a $5 investment t of you favorite acid, I'm gonna choose the one with lower risk. Once the threshold is closer to a margin of $500 vs $5, I may sway my choice, but that was the point of my video. You really can make the $70 bucket go all the way.

Projects like this depend on weather and my free time. I could confidently leave the block in the Evaporust and not do any damage if we had a rainy spell or my schedule got too busy.

Here are some videos using other popular methods. I trust any could work with the right amount of attention and car through the project.

mzoQj91glP4

EuIa8h4d0RY

b1IxSvbLJEY

I have derusted many an item using muriatic acid, which is HCL, I diluted by at least 75% (3 parts water to 1 part acid), of course. I have also used straight vinegar. A little slower, but result the same. I can buy a gallon of white vinegar for a little over a $1 at the $ store. The acid is maybe $5 for a gallon, but makes 4 gallons. I have not used Evaporust. Can anyone tell me if they have done both, Evaporust vs. HCL, and how they compare?

67 Nova Boy
05-21-2019, 09:16 PM
Paul,

Great video you did there...can you tell me where to get one of the bins you used to do the

rust removal?

Dave
67 Nova Boy

PxTx
05-22-2019, 12:51 AM
Thanks Dave. We used a 30 gallon tub. They seem to be readily available on CL or FB Marketplace for a few bucks. The dolley to move it around was nice. We got them as a combo.

1969L89
05-22-2019, 02:13 AM
Nice video. Thanks for posting.

SuperNovaSS
05-27-2019, 09:40 PM
Well done. I’m planning to be use your technique but with citric acid. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Jason

bdk1976
05-28-2019, 02:20 AM
I've done the molasses soak before and it worked great - the speed and smell were something else though! Took forever and smelled like vomit for about a 50ft diameter around the tank during the process.

I have a bulk package of citric acid that I'm going to try next on a Pontiac 455. Probably won't get around to it anytime soon, but have had the acid on hand for a while now.

Another thing I've read about and wanted to try is to put the block in a garbage bag in order to get by with less evaporust or other liquid by minimizing the space you need to fill with liquid.

PxTx
05-28-2019, 02:31 AM
How you explain the molasses experience is exactly why I decided NOT to try it!

The trash bag trick is what my video shows. There are some tricks to make sure the 5 gallons does it for you. Please check out the video.

I went with Evaporust, because I was concerned that the acid doesn't stop one the rust is gone. How do you know or manage when some parts of the block are still defrosting and the acting continues to eat at a clean lifter bore or something else with a critical tolerance?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I've done the molasses soak before and it worked great - the speed and smell were something else though! Took forever and smelled like vomit for about a 50ft diameter around the tank during the process.

I have a bulk package of citric acid that I'm going to try next on a Pontiac 455. Probably won't get around to it anytime soon, but have had the acid on hand for a while now.

Another thing I've read about and wanted to try is to put the block in a garbage bag in order to get by with less evaporust or other liquid by minimizing the space you need to fill with liquid.

jandron
07-23-2020, 07:57 AM
Old thread, but the video is still worth watching.

NorCam
07-25-2020, 01:31 AM
Yup great thread. I'll be doing something similar to clean up some seat frames and bucket frames. Great way to make the solution flow around the parts when deep cleaning of metals are larger in size.

frankk
07-27-2020, 07:44 PM
I am very electronically challenged.lol. How do you activate the vidios?

John Brown
07-27-2020, 08:21 PM
Click on them?

Are you asking about posting a video?

frankk
07-27-2020, 09:11 PM
No, I was asking about viewing the posted videos

NorCam
08-03-2020, 05:26 AM
No, I was asking about viewing the posted videos

Here's a link to the video on youtube. Just click on the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH5GwVC6zsk&feature=youtu.be

frankk
08-03-2020, 07:25 PM
Thanks Norcam, this link is working for me.

wheelhop
08-11-2020, 02:09 AM
Has anyone tried Gunk Hydro Seal II ? I was going to try it on some motorcycle carburetors.