PDA

View Full Version : 4 post drive on lift

nova67
08-05-2019, 04:46 PM
Any recommendations on a 4 post lift? In the process of completing my new home shop and want to buy a lift. Like real world suggestions. Thanks Tom

tjs44
08-05-2019, 04:59 PM
I have a pair of Backyard Buddies now for 15 years,no issue at all.Get a jack for it also.It has came in handy countless times.Tom

L16pilot
08-05-2019, 05:13 PM
I have an 8k Atlas from Greg Smith Equipment...zero issues in 10 years of service. I agree with TJS44...except get two jacks..one for each end.

Charley Lillard
08-05-2019, 06:03 PM
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=17632.msg161116#new

RPOLS3
08-05-2019, 07:07 PM
My son won the Titan lift they gave away at MCACN in 2016 - it works great.

https://titanlifts.com/

08-05-2019, 09:25 PM
I have had a Bend Pak lift for years and it has been great and it is by far one of the better lifts at the lower price point. They came out to the house and installed it because the main distributor is local to Southern California.

R68GTO
08-06-2019, 01:15 AM
I've had a Bendpak HD9-XW lift for about 5 years. It is the best garage tool I've ever purchased and it has had zero issues. I also bought the RJ-45 jack which I highly recommend as it makes the drive on lift more useful for wheel/brake work.

the427king
08-06-2019, 01:47 AM
Bend pak....bought it because ramps are adjustable width and I can walk under it when fully extended and that's no easy task. It has a bigger footprint than most but well worth it

Charley Lillard
08-06-2019, 01:51 AM
I have a Backyard Buddy and one of the cheap 2000.00 lifts. They both do the same thing. The Backyard Buddy was over 4K but is probably built better. If you are not using it for commercial work, any of the cheap ones are probably fine. Be sure to get the 500.00 sliding jack.

the427king
08-06-2019, 02:51 AM
I do know the legs on mine over short periods used to move a few inches when they werent secured to the concrete.And I quickly secured it with anchors. Im not sold at all on putting a full size 2500 ram pickup on a 7000 lb[or 9K for that matter] lift thats got the tires 7 feet of the ground and not secured into the concrete,even though the company wants you to believe its portable.

bilede
08-06-2019, 03:52 AM
I bought a 9000lb atlas from greg smith in 2013. Was about $400 bucks more than the light weight ones but other than more capacity its taller and wider to accept my duramax truck. I also can stand up straight under it without bumping my head when just inspecting.
Have had no issues with it at all.

Charley Lillard
08-06-2019, 12:50 PM
Neither of mine are anchored and have never had a problem. Nice being able to roll it outside if I want to pressure wash the bottom of a car.

Jonesy
08-06-2019, 01:48 PM
I also bought a 9,000 lbs Atlas from Greg Smith Equipment. Its not bolted to the floor and rolls around if I need to move it. 120volt setup. I can easily stand underneath it. I bought the LED light kit so bottom of the car is totally lit up.
Also bought 2 jacks with it. I love it. I think Im going to have to buy another just for storing more cars.
Free shipping to my garage. Good thing I had a skidsteer with forks. This thing was heavy!!

the427king
08-06-2019, 02:01 PM
"Neither of mine are anchored and have never had a problem. Nice being able to roll it outside if I want to pressure wash the bottom of a car"

Agreed thats a great option,but having the extended height version with higher posts ,my assembled unit would not roll out of the 8 ft high garage door anyway and I only lost the ability to move it within the garage ,so the choice was easier. That, and I just didnt like the fact the feet would move around the garage

70 copo
08-06-2019, 07:59 PM
Bend Pack. Very happy with it.

COPO
08-06-2019, 09:29 PM
I also have several Atlas lifts from Greg Smith that I use primarily for storage. I usually buy the EXT version which allows a higher lift. Super reliable and easy to move around. Came with ramps, wheels, drip pans, and the jack plate. Hard to beat the price and quality seems good.

flyingn
08-07-2019, 12:08 AM
I have a Bend pac HD-9ST 9000 lb narrow lift for standard garages and it works great. VERY happy with it. Love the pneumatic stops so no walking to each end to release when I want to lower it. Just push a button and down it comes.

nova67
08-07-2019, 05:46 PM
I have a 16ft high ceiling and 14 and 10ft high doors so any clearances arent a problem.

Ricks72Z28
08-08-2019, 05:27 PM
Mine is not bolted, but I put 4 heavy duty rubber pads underneath it so it stays put on my epoxy floor.

Billohio
08-10-2019, 01:11 PM
I bought a challenger and set it up myself this spring. It is not bolted and I havent really used it much yet but one thing I dont like is you have to hold the unlatch lever until it it clear to the floor. Not real handy. It was super heavy and like a previous poster, skid loader was real handy. I could have gotten a bendpak also from the same place. I am not thrilled my salesman didnt tell me about the lever. He did say they could get parts better from challenger.

x33rs
08-26-2019, 02:50 PM
At our other house I started out with a 2 post from Greg Smith. It was a small 7,000 lbs unit that I wanted for working. Never was 100% happy with it. It couldn't lift my pickup truck that scaled at 5500 lbs. but it worked okay on the cars that were 4,000 and less. Never any serious issues with it other than that.

So 12 years ago I bought a 12,000 lbs 2 post from Superlifts and it's been absolutely flawless and used on a regular basis.

I'm now getting ready to buy a pair of 4 posts to use mainly for storage purposes. I'm going to buy those from Advantage when they have the show specials coming up at Goodguys and Barrett Jackson. Plus they keep a warehouse local in town so easy to pick up and take home.

After looking at them for a while I've just been more attracted to the robust features of the Advantage, and find them to be very similar to the Back Yard Buddies that have had a great reputation.

1970SuperCar
08-30-2019, 03:07 AM
Love my Advantage lift.

iluv69s
09-01-2019, 12:11 AM
I bought 4 cheaper 4 posts lifts for about 1850 each. Had over ten years and work great. Never bolted to floor. Moveable. Never had a problem

x33rs
12-09-2019, 05:35 PM
I bought my first Advantage 4 post.

Went down to the warehouse in Phoenix and picked it up myself. Packaged nicely. Got it home and in the garage and unboxed everything.

Cable system and hydraulics are already pre-assembled under the rails. It was as simple as standing up the posts, setting the cross beams, and setting the rails. Hooked up a couple hoses to the pump, adjust the tension on the cables and I was in business. Very easy to set up.

Sale specials coming up with the all the auctions in town next month. He's even selling completely assembled show units on display at a discount after the show is over, and will deliver free local. They set right up on a flat bed car hauler. I sold one this way to a friend of mine who is receiving it after the BJ auction.

Zedder
05-29-2020, 01:44 AM
I’ve got an Atlas Garage Pro 8000 EXT coming next month...

Crush
05-29-2020, 01:49 AM
Where did you get it from?

Zedder
05-29-2020, 01:58 AM
A local installer who reps Atlas. Most dealers who sell Direct Lifts, sell Atlas too. Greg Smith in the US sells them too.

Lynn
05-29-2020, 03:18 AM
I bought two of the Atlas lifts from Greg Smith. I don't have a fork lift, so had them shipped to a local terminal. Drove down there with my car hauler trailer and they loaded both on the trailer. I used a ceiling mounted hoist to get them off the trailer. Sherri and I installed both of them in an afternoon with nothing more than hand tools and pry bars. I have neither one anchored. The instructions tell you to set the end posts upright and then lift the horizontal on top. NONSENSE. I GUESS you could do it that way. We bolted each end together and then tilted them up. If an old guy with bad shoulders and his wife can do it..... well, no need to pay an installer.

Four years ago, so prices may be different now. I got both shipped to the terminal for about $3800.

No regrets. I have a two post for working on cars, so no jacks for me. If I needed to work on cars, the jacks are necessary.

Crush
05-29-2020, 03:24 AM
Do you have Greg Smiths contact info.?

Charley Lillard
05-29-2020, 04:42 AM
I recently bought a Advantage lift and like them.

https://www.advantagelifts.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwwr32BRD4ARIsAAJNf_3WNHcxXLGKzSL5gY1 _iE1W8bKe8d3iHhG4L5i8daGCBUDjCly63CEaApglEALw_wcB

COPO
05-29-2020, 11:07 AM
Do you have Greg Smiths contact info.?

https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/

Zedder
05-29-2020, 12:23 PM
If you are 6 ft tall consider the EXT version. It has the same foot print as the std lift, but can get 79 inches clear underneath. I had the std height lift and constantly had to watch that I didn’t hit my head!

RPOLS3
05-29-2020, 02:04 PM
We have been using the Titan lift my son won at MCACN for several years now with no issues.

https://titanlifts.com/

Mostly for storage but just used it to remove/reinstall the engine/trans in the 409

MosportGreen66
06-01-2020, 02:54 AM
We have a Quality 4 post. It’s great because of its compact size. Fits in smaller garages but gives you the same versatility and function of a larger unit. Was $3600 installed I believe.

Dan

GenZ
06-27-2020, 06:21 PM
I found a great deal on a 9000 lb. Bendpak that included the hydraulic jack, casters, and 220 volt motor for $1,600. Guy wanted to redo his garage and had $$ to burn, I guess. Was a bit of a hassle to move, but it was such a good deal I bought it, even though I had just sold my 69 Z and really didn't need it.

RPOLS3, you said that you used your lift to remove the engine? I have been trying to figure out how to do that with an engine hoist and the car still on the ramps. How did you remove the engine on the lift?

RPOLS3
06-30-2020, 01:01 PM
RPOLS3, you said that you used your lift to remove the engine? I have been trying to figure out how to do that with an engine hoist and the car still on the ramps. How did you remove the engine on the lift?

We just used the lift for the undercar work/trans install, we moved the car off the lift into an adjacent spot in the garage for the actual removal and re-installation of the engine. Sorry for the confusion.

Too Many Projects
11-13-2020, 12:35 AM
Way late to the party here, but Nova67, did you buy a lift ?
I have 2 cheap ones, can't remember the brand, Auto something, that are only used for storage. The one on the right is taller and longer, but still wasn't tall enough for my Silverado. I have 6" of 2x8 under the legs.

I second the one complaint about needing to hold the release lever ALL the way down. The tall lift, I need to stand on a crate to reach it at the top.
I, originally, assembled them at my previous place years ago with my small forklift for the ramps. I then moved them intact to our new home and shed this spring.

Zedder
11-13-2020, 01:01 AM
Here’s my Atlas 8000lb 84 inch tall lift...

MosportGreen66
11-14-2020, 11:44 AM
Zedder, looks great! What flooring is that?

Question... My installer said not to anchor it because then the self leveling mechanism won’t work?

Zedder
11-14-2020, 02:46 PM
Thanks Mosport! That is Race Deck Free Flow. It’s good if you park daily drivers in the garage in an area with snow because it lets the water and grit flow through to the cement. Then you just snap it apart in the spring and power wash it out.

Zedder
11-14-2020, 02:59 PM
If you check the manufacturer’s installation instructions, you will see that it must be bolted down if the slope front to back is more than 1/8 inch per foot or about 2 inches over the length of the lift. Side to side needs to be level to get the posts on the same plane. The comment on the locks not working if bolted is absolutely wrong! The lifts are designed to work unbolted IF level and plumb...if not, you have to bolt it down or run the risk of having one post lock miss or catch and down goes your car!

My slope was 3.5 inches front to back and 3/4 inch side to side at the back. I had 1/4 inch steel plates laser cut to bring the columns onto the same plane and then had a commercial installer plumb, level and bolt down. It is bang on level now!

Too Many Projects
07-11-2021, 03:37 AM
The cables on mine have about 4" of threads at the top of the posts to adjust for the legs not being on the same plane. Adjusting the cables allows the locks to all work together. Both of my lifts were on gravel at the old place and worked just fine, once correctly set up.

Zedder
07-11-2021, 01:54 PM
The ramps only have 2 inches adjustment front to back in the lock ladders - that is what limits them adjustment, not the cables.

Jonesy
07-11-2021, 03:21 PM
The cables on mine have about 4" of threads at the top of the posts to adjust for the legs not being on the same plane. Adjusting the cables allows the locks to all work together. Both of my lifts were on gravel at the old place and worked just fine, once correctly set up.

Same with mine, I can adjust the threaded rods at end of cables to level out the deck so all 4 legs lock at the same time. I have 2 Lifts and both are on my concrete floor.
They are not bolted to the ground and I have a wheel kit so I can move them if I want.