PDA

View Full Version : preservation of engine compartment

chris slawski
01-03-2020, 12:11 PM
Hello-
69 Camaro RS sat in body shop for several years, untouched. It was a magnate for dust though, like the hood was up the entire time.
I am going to replace the hoses, clamps, plug wires with restoration pieces for maintenance and safety.
What are some safe ideas for overall cleaning of the compartment? I am not pulling the engine, but not afraid to use crevice tools.
Thanks.

NorCam
01-03-2020, 01:04 PM
It looks like a good candidate for a couple of cans of Gunk Engine degreaser and a good low-pressure power wash. Just be mindful of the decals (cover them with plastic) and don't hit those with the sprayer if pressure washing it after the soak. Should clean up nicely.

Mr.Nickey Nova
01-03-2020, 09:45 PM
Steam clean the entire compartment if you can get your hands on one.

chris slawski
01-04-2020, 01:36 AM
I am thinking of using the purple stuff and my handy dandy Harbor Freight little steamer. Not big enough to hurt myself!

Tidmack
01-04-2020, 02:37 PM
I'm a fan of just greasing and preserving what emerges under the grime. I got these results on a '71 Chevy pickup with a degreaser from Meguiar's, and combination of a pressure washer and just city pressure from a hose.

chris slawski
01-04-2020, 03:22 PM
Looks great! That is the look I am aiming for.

napa68
01-04-2020, 06:35 PM
Steam clean the entire compartment if you can get your hands on one.
You can get a steamer off of Amazon for around $200. I bought one for engine compartment work and interior work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G00BTEA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

firstgenaddict
01-05-2020, 05:32 PM
I am a big fan of OXY CLEAN and a gallon or two of boiling water poured into a 2 gallon pump up sprayer.
With a pump sprayer, the pressure is not so high where it removes "too much" such as paint and markings etc... however boiling hot water and oxyclean does a VERY GOOD JOB at removing dirt and grime.

jl8z28
01-06-2020, 09:09 PM
The purple cleaner turns the parts a white i wouldn't use that

chris slawski
01-07-2020, 01:05 PM
question with the OXY clean do the crystals dissolve enough not to clog up the sprayer?
I did get a small steamer like the one suggested
Big thanks for the warning of the purple stuff! Makes me glad I procrastinate

olredalert
01-07-2020, 03:14 PM
The purple cleaner turns the parts a white i wouldn't use that

----Also beware of prolonged use of purple cleaner as I have read reports that mention cancer and purple cleaner in the same sentence......Bill S

RSSSfan
01-21-2020, 09:03 PM
have had pretty good luck with Simple Green. Doesn't harm finishes, typically.

firstgenaddict
01-25-2020, 07:20 PM
question with the OXY clean do the crystals dissolve enough not to clog up the sprayer?
I did get a small steamer like the one suggested
Big thanks for the warning of the purple stuff! Makes me glad I procrastinate

It will dissolve in HOT water...

ScottG
02-11-2020, 07:48 PM
I have had 2 Unrestored Buick National show winners. I cut down Simple Green to 30 percent . Spray it all down and get a stiff plastic brush . Move all the grease areas around with the brush. It might take 4 or 12 tries to get it good enough to be accepted as clean. Never ,, ever use that purple stuff. It bleaches aluminum and polished metals in seconds. You can pressure wash anything that does not have a decal or ink stamps. I just use hot water and let it dry.. Shoot the dry stuff with WD 40 out of a sprayer from the gallon meatal can . The WD 40 will also take off grease that you missed with the S G . It is not hard to do but it is very time consuming.. Have fun!!