PDA

View Full Version : ‘70 Challenger T/A Hood

matt5708
02-07-2020, 06:20 AM
The fiberglass hood on my ‘70 Challenger T/A has warped slightly. Any way to fix this?

A12pilot
02-07-2020, 01:30 PM
Not really, although I'm not a fiberglass expert. Welcome to fiberglass hoods! Look at most 67/68 Shelbys and you'll see a common trend of warpage. Verify that you have the correct lighter springs on the hinges to cease any further damage too.

Cheers
Dave

RS_COPO_Canuck
02-07-2020, 01:33 PM
Other than finding a non-warped one? Most have some warpage because of the hood springs trying to push that area up. Some not bad - others much worse. I have heard of people taking the hood off, store it flat and place heavy weights on top - both sides and leave it like that for weeks.
Or ripping it apart and adding reinforcements to that area and re-fiberglass it.

ELEFUNTMAN
02-07-2020, 02:31 PM
They all warp, some remove the springs and use a prop rod. I use the light springs and put 25# lead shot bags on top of each side when the car is parked. Leave it in the sun with weight on the hood, maybe it will flatten out, then use the weights then on.

BCreekDave
02-07-2020, 02:37 PM
Gravity is you friend.

The spring pressure over time warped it.

Take the springs off, place thin boards over the hood pins and place the lead shot or similar weight over top where the front of the hinge attachment points connect to the underside of the hood and over time the warp will slowly disappear. It took years for the hood to warp, it may take a similar amount of time for it to un-warp. If you do not have this amount of patience, the hood can be cut and re-built to take the warp out.

matt5708
02-08-2020, 01:58 AM
Thank you everybody. I appreciate the feedback.