PDA

View Full Version : Restoring A 50’s Table

Burd
11-22-2020, 08:27 PM
I kept the table we used growing up when cleaning out my moms estate, I’ll bet most here had a table like this growing up, the chairs are gone, but I’ll keep this for the coffee table in the garage, the steel legs and the table itself is made so well, you just don’t find quality these days. The table leaf has spring loaded apron to stow it under the table.
I had to toss a lot of things, we can only keep so many things when our parents pass.

Too Many Projects
11-22-2020, 10:20 PM
It looks similar to the "crushed glass" pattern, but larger pieces ? We had a silver colored one when I was young too. My Dad was still using it until he passed at 86 in 2012. The pattern and color were worn off in the center.

Lee Stewart
11-22-2020, 11:03 PM
Reminds me of the kitchen table my grandmother had in her upstate NY bungalow only her's was gray. Ate many a meal at that table. Good memories.

KevinW
11-23-2020, 12:13 PM
yes, I have one of those tables too in yellow with the chairs (yellow + green) plus leaf, future resto project (but won't take too much work).

The pattern is "cracked ice vinyl" and is being reproed, but I have heard the repro is not as crisp (and pixelated) as the original (go figure :) ) https://www.crackedicevinyl.com/

Burd
11-23-2020, 02:12 PM
I took a Brillo pad to the legs, they cleaned up nice, then chrome polish, the apron has some surface rust, a magnet sticks to it so it’s gotta be steel, it’s striped, like it was bead blasted to put the design on, I see the double caps are reposed, but only in white and black. Luckily all 4 are in good shape. I’ll,post a pic when it’s all back together, I’ve see the Formica in silver, yellow, and green. There’s no maker on this, I can’t find the exact tab,e on line. I figured mr Lee could locate the pic, lol
That vinyl is nice, now maybe I gotta do a couple chairs.

Burd
12-01-2020, 10:42 PM
Got her done, I’ll use it for coffee and drinks at my Cars And Coffee. The chrome legs came out nice w/ the Mothers chrome polish and a Brillo
pad, not bad for 70 years old.

Crush
12-02-2020, 12:50 AM
Nice work! I’ll drop all mine off tomorrow !!

WILMASBOYL78
12-02-2020, 01:23 AM
We have a similar one in yellow...same style chrome legs, but the top has a finished side all around like the top. There is a leaf that goes with it.

We also have a vintage enamel/porcelain table that has a top with sides that pull out...brown color, beautiful condition.

You did a nice job on the table..

-wilma

markinnaples
12-02-2020, 12:49 PM
Ha! We had that exact table growing up, pink top and all. Wow, have never seen another one, so thanks for the memories.

Billohio
12-02-2020, 01:23 PM
I think my grandparents had a yellow one also. I dont know what happened to some of their furniture

Burd
12-02-2020, 01:39 PM
I was just curious on the maker, I can’t find one online that has the same apron, there’s a number on the bottom but no Name, the apron is wrapped in thin steel, it looks like the stripes were sand blasted on, the stripes are very rough, 0000 steel wool cleaned up the steel pretty good.
I have pics back to the 50’s with my sisters around the tables, memories.

Burd
12-02-2020, 01:46 PM
They do repop the double caps if anyone has a table to do,
I thought I’d have to rechrome the legs, I’ve used fini fini here locally, they do car stuff, but it’s pricy.
Here’s the apron, anyone have a idea to clean it up better, I’ll try it.

https://www.ifscoind.com/productDetail.asp_Q_catID_E_125_A_subCatID_E_672_A _productID_E_14984