PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Faux Alligator Skin 8-Track 24 Tape Case w/Tapes

69L78
02-21-2021, 12:00 PM
This has 24 8-tracks included, I never played any of them, so I cannot guarantee they will play. The box is in good condition, but I do not have the key. I am not sure of value so I have to start somewhere. Artist's included, Alice Cooper, Rolling Stones, Grand Funk, Jim Croce, Deep Purple, Doobie Brothers, J Geils Band, Jethro Tull, Peter Frampton, Nazareth, Procol Harum, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bad Finger, Crosby Stills & Nash, Simon & Garfunkel, Bee Gees, John Denver & America. America.

SOLD

Burd
02-21-2021, 01:43 PM
Nice. I had the same case.

Crush
02-21-2021, 04:50 PM
Incoming pm

KevinW
02-21-2021, 05:50 PM
I still have and USE a similar case and 8-tracks :D 8-tracks can be repaired!

Too Many Projects
02-22-2021, 12:10 AM
Wow, when I opened the post, I thought you had stolen 1 of my cases, until I saw the artists...:grin: I do have a few of the same tapes.

L_e_e
02-22-2021, 12:23 AM
Since these are sold, I hope you don't mind me posting here.
I also have several of these cases and probably close to 100 8-track tapes if anybody else is interested in some I'll dig them out.

AnthonyS
02-22-2021, 12:46 AM
Hi Gang. Let’s post up what these sold for / are worth. FOI.

Thanks in advance!
Anthony

KevinW
02-22-2021, 02:10 AM
I will add my pics for everyone's viewing pleasure :D

These 3 cases and 8-tracks are fully restored & playable, not counting the case I use in the Camaro and the case my daughter listens to. :)

The cabinet holds the "to be restored" tapes

Mr. Chevy
02-22-2021, 03:50 AM
Awesome... I wish I would have been quicker I would have bought these...

I have a big collection of 8 tracks and paraphernalia for same....

Rich

RPOLS3
02-22-2021, 12:01 PM
8-tracks can be repaired!

Can you share who does this? I have a few that I'd like to try and repair. Thanks

Grim70
02-22-2021, 02:49 PM
Can you share who does this? I have a few that I'd like to try and repair. Thanks

Check Youtube. They are easy to repair. ** DO NOT PLAY THEM UNLESS THEY HAVE BEEN REPAIRED*** The original splice will break and the tape will wind up in the deck.

The other repairs are usually the foam breaking down.

There are a few places that stock the materials

KevinW
02-22-2021, 06:08 PM

Here is a link with some how to's: https://8trackheaven.com/collecting/repair-2/ Repair parts can be purchased on ebay or some other sites.

Basically, you first find out if it is a foam tape or a metal spring tape by looking at the tape end. If the roller is good, replacing the felt/foam and the foil is the first fix. Other issues can be a damaged roller or the tape is so tight it won't feed. Practice on a junk tape 1st to get a feel for it :) I have a bunch of easy listening/country tape to scavenge rollers from.

The metal spring types you can replace the felt pads if missing and inspect the roller without opening. I have had good luck in replacing the felt pads, then playing it with auto stop. This will stop the tape at the foil, so you can replace the foil. If the foil separates, then you have to open it up.

For the foam ones, you will having to open it first, replace the foam, then try to find the foil. I have had to close them, play them auto stop to find the foil and replace.

Some brands are easy to open, some brands (lear/ampex) are a bear to open. Sometimes the clips break and you will have to "masking tape" it together during the fix/test phase. Then superglue the corners :D

8-tracks suffer more when not played. They last longer if played regularly. I listen to them in my basement while working on car projects. :)

X77Z28MP
02-22-2021, 06:41 PM
I didnt think they had much value I threw out two full boxes of tapes and those same cases oh well

Crush
02-22-2021, 07:11 PM
I didnt think they had much value I threw out two full boxes of tapes and those same cases oh well

Bummer

BJCHEV396
02-22-2021, 07:39 PM
8 tracks for ever,lol!