PDA

View Full Version : 69 Z/28 non-dripper valve covers

Lynn
03-08-2021, 01:22 AM
These would also be correct for a 69 L46 Corvette.

I sent these to Jerry M to be reskinned. They look really nice. I did not realize that the driver’s side had a tiny hairline crack. They came off a running engine, and did not leak oil. However, just to be safe, Jerry sealed it from the inside with a thin layer of epoxy.

Someone hogged out the filler cap hole in the passenger side valve cover to put a twist in breather in it. However, with the emblem permanently affixed you cannot tell unless you pull the cover off and look underneath.

I put NOS rubber grommets in them. They are GM, and I believe they are assembly line correct. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

$450 shipped in the lower 48.

Lynn
03-13-2021, 09:50 PM
Was asked by a member "How do you know it doesn't leak at the hairline crack?"

I put some oil in the valve cover at 11 this morning. See first pic below.

I took the second pic just a few minutes ago, more than 5 hours later.

Second pic was taken from below with the oil still in the valve cover. As you can see, there is NO seepage.

These came off a running engine and it didn't leak then, even before the epoxy repair was made on the inside.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would not hesitate to run these on an engine. I already have the correct valve covers on my car, and just do not need these.

Lynn
03-13-2021, 09:57 PM
And yes, both have the 418 part number embossed on the inside.

big gear head
03-14-2021, 01:08 AM
I know it may not be something that you would want to do to an original set of valve covers like this, but I've used Glyptol on aluminum valve covers that seeped oil through pores in the aluminum and it seals them very well. If you clean them properly the Glyptol will stick very well.

Lynn
03-14-2021, 03:14 AM
These are sold.