PDA

View Full Version : 69 Yenko camaro headers

Yenkofan
04-14-2000, 01:22 AM
Does anyone know if any 69 Yenko Camaro's came with headers from the dealers?
I know some cars are reported to have come with Doug Thorley headers but I can find no proof that the factory or the dealers put them on. I spoke to Doug Thorley who thinks he may have put some headers in the trunks of some of the cars, to be installed later.
Does anyone have info on this subject?

mhassett
04-14-2000, 02:36 AM
Hi there, On my 1969 Original Yenko Sticker it DOES List (Doug Thorley Headers as an Option!!!) Also it List Lakewood Scatter Shield and Lakewood Traction Bars.

JoeC
04-14-2000, 03:16 AM
mhassett - Was your Yenko Camaro sold by the Yenko Dealership in PA.? I have heard that Yenko would set up the car however the customer wanted it including "Dyno tuning".

sYc
04-14-2000, 02:14 PM
Yes, Yenko Chevrolet WOULD build you what you wanted. It was only a matter of how much money you wanted to spend. I know of a low mileage, documented, 1969 Yenko Camaro that has a L-88 engine installed, with all of the Yenko paperwork with it( it should be at this years supercar reunion). Also, about a year ago, I visited with a former employee of Yenko Chevrolet. While he was working there, he went from being just a mechanic on Don's race team to the head of it. He told me that when the team was not racing, the race team mechanics worked in the shop, doing high performance work on customer and/or new cars. I asked him about NEW, COPO cars. Here is what he said. If someone bought a new, COPO car and did NOT want any extras, it went from the holding lot to the detail shop, away from the main shop, where the stripes, emblems etc. were added. But, if the customer wanted extras, such as headers, scattershield, gauges, even aluminum heads(which the original owner of my Camaro says it came with), then it was taken to the main shop, where the race team mechanics did the work. He said that this was quite common. I have verified this through Donna Mae. Also, Yenko Chevrolet did have a dyno, which I have been told is still in the Canonsburg area. At the old shop building, you can still see where it once was. So, contrary to what many people say, Yenko did a lot more then just add stripes to "factory" built high perfomance cars. Tom