PDA

View Full Version : Super Car Reunion 2000 "EXCELLENT!"

bkhpah
08-21-2000, 08:43 PM
Once again the Super Car Reunion was a great time. I would like to thank Tom Clary for his efforts, Ray Morrison and Valerie Harrell for their fine presentation on Dick Harrell. Without the efforts of pioneers like Harrell, there would be no such showcase of high performance at this level. Seeing the cars is always great, but meeting the people behind the cars is a treat. I am impressed with the the number of people that show up without owning a super car yet, but are eager to learn about them. Having a venue to view these cars and memorabilia is priceless. This small but dedicated group is going in the right direction. I don't know the plans for 2001 yet, but I will circle my calender for this event first. We as owners have to spread the word about this show. I cannot imagine not having a show for the rarest cars in the musclecar world every year. Support the effort and plan to attend next year. It's only 364 days away!
BKH

Mr Yenko
08-22-2000, 02:50 AM
Well I could not say it any better then Brian. The cars are AWESOME and the people behind them are just as NICE!!! Iam LOOKING foward to having a Yenko Camaro of my own sometime in the near future . And no matter where the show is I will be there with my car. And would like a MATCH race with a certain Yellow 7,000 mile camaro LOLOL...

JoeC
08-22-2000, 10:55 AM
I like to thank all the guys who brought their cars and memorabilia collections. It was fun to read and view the items while being surrounded by the ZL1's, COPO's, Yenko, Motion, and Harrell cars. Having Tim there selling memorabilia at far below e-bay prices was a great addition to the show. Here are a few pics.
http://hometown.aol.com/jjcczz/index.html

[Edited by JoeC (08-22-2000 at 05:55 AM).]

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
08-22-2000, 02:31 PM
JoeC:
Thanks for the pics, once again I couldn't make it to the show so this is as close I get to seeing the cars!
M

COPO
08-22-2000, 07:25 PM
I would echo everyone's remarks. There is not another show where you see as many Yenkos, COPOs, ZL-1's, Dick Harrell, Motion cars all in one place. It was great to hear Ray's story about buying his Harrell 427 Nova and the "neutral drops". The best part was definitely the drags. It's great to look at the cars but you can't beat watching them go down the track. When was the last time you saw a real ZL-1 burn rubber on the dragstrip? My brother (non-car guy) even went to the show and the drags and was duly impressed.

I toss out this next comment as a discussion point and I hope no one takes it as a critism as it is certainly not the intent. While there are certainly good points of having a small intimate gathering of these rare cars, it is also a shame that more specatators and cars were not present to truly appreciate the history of these rare beasts. I heard the Gibb show held shortly before the Reunion had 400+ cars and the town virtually shut down for the event. What are everyone's thoughts of the Reunion being held in conjunction with another show in order to increase the exposure or perhaps vary the location each year? The Supercars could still have a separate display similiar to the corvette's Bloomington Gold Special Collection. I certainly liked the non-judging, the drags and the seminars/speakers format. Comments?

[Edited by COPO (08-22-2000 at 02:25 PM).]

bkhpah
08-22-2000, 08:24 PM
My feelings one the show are this. I want to see ONLY supercars at this event. That is what makes this special. If you are a TRUE Supercar fan you will attend. Why do I want to go look at a modified mini truck or a street rod just to have a large head count. They have there events and we have this. I would rather look at 20 real supercars than 400+ cars I have nothing in common with. If the format changes and it becomes just another mass produced, bring whatever you like show, I will stop attending. I can go to that type of show anywhere. This was brought up at the end of last years show and some attendees did not return because they felt that there was not enough to do in Sprinfield. Clary changed his format somewhat and added the Harrell tribute. Those that did not attend missed a great program. You cannot make everyone happy and that is just the way it is. If you are a diehard fan you will attend and enjoy whatever the promoter has in store. A change of location has not been ruled out, but again who will be the core that supports the show. Change is a good thing, but you must have the right people to manage the monster. Those that don't like the way things work rarely are the ones that try and fix what they think is broken, they just don't attend. Did anyone that disliked the second show work with Clary to change it for the next year and make it better? I doubt it. If the show is moved to another location you will have the core travel to it and maybe pick up a few more cars that are closer to the new location, that is a given. The bottom line is that if you don't really care that much you will not make an effort to attend. The bickering about what direction or location the show takes next will likely never end..this is a tough job when so many different personalitys come together in one place. Let's try and support the 2001 show from the start.
BKH

micky69396
08-22-2000, 10:26 PM
Brian, I dont think it was COPO's intent to say invite everything to this particular show, there has to be a way to increase the exposure, bring more cars and spectators thru the doors and still have a killer show. I too do not care to see anything but the true high horsepower cars. Tom and Rob did a excellent job on this and I know its tuff to put somthing together that is a distance to travel to check locations but this may need to be looked into. I was dissapointed to not see anyone from Musclecar Review there, I know they were probably at the Woodward cruise, so I hope someone will submit something too them. The positives far out-weight the negatives and if I can possibly do anything to help I will. The non judging format, quality of cars, memoribilia, speakers, drag racing, are all super, we just need more in attendence.

COPO
08-22-2000, 11:15 PM
Mickey, I think you better understood the points I was trying to bring up for discussion. The real show is the Supercars, but I think it's a shame to not expose more people to these unique cars. There were several non-Supercars at the outside display (several LS-6's) and I don't think they detracted from the "main event". I'm not suggesting a mega-all makes show, but perhaps there is a way to increase exposure and not be swallowed up by a larger show and lose the intimacy that makes the Reunion special.

What show was being taped for the Speedvision Network? American Muscle Car??

Brian, what the heck do you have under that hood?? Heard your car out on the street WOW!!! sounded killer!

sYc
08-23-2000, 04:19 AM
I am glad that everyone had a good time. I am very well pleased with this year's event and am looking forward to the 4th reunion.
I appeciate everyone's comments and will take them into consideration as I plan the 2001 event, which I am working on now.
In the past, I have been invited to be a part of bigger shows, both Super Chevy (Indy) and Street Machine Nationals(Springfield, MO), but even though I was temped, I declined, as I was afraid that the reunion would be lost in the shuffle. We must be doing something right, as in 3 years the reunion has been covered by Super Chevy, Muscle Car Review (who had agreed to cover it this year), My CLassic Car and Speed Vision. We have seen rare cars such as ZL-1 #1, a B-M Phase lll Vette, Nickey Camaros, Harrell Monte Carlo and Novas, COPOs, Yenkos and the list goes on and on. Where else could one see a '67 Yenko Camaro, several '69 Yenko Camaros, a B-M Camaro, Gibb/Harrell Novas, Deuces, Stingers, etc. all race? Who can forget meeting Hope Yenko, Ed Lowther and Donna Mae? How many shows have had a Yenko estate auction? What about being the first group since Dick was killed in 1971 to hear a member of the Harrell family speak and see the families' memorabilia? Where else can you see $1,000s worth of supercar memorabilia on display?
When I decided to start the reunion, I had one goal, to include the things that I enjoyed about other shows and to avoid the ones I hated. Thus, no judging, a cruise, racing and VERY special guests. A show where everyone had the chance to visit with other owners/enthusiants who share the same interests, the SUPERCARS. Simply put, there are two choices, pursue growth and chance becoming just another show or stay on the track we are on now and maintain the small, intimate show that most of us enjoy and look forward to. I do realize that a different location might allow more supercars to attend, which would be good growth. In closing, do me one favor. PLEASE do not compare the Supercar Reunion to any other show. It is the only one of its kind, which is what makes it special. Thanks for listening; Tom

08-23-2000, 05:26 AM
Sounds like it was a great show but not that many new Supercars attended. From reading the posts above, it seems like it was the same show as the past two with some cars not showing from the previous shows. Car shows cannot be judged by the number of cars attending but by the amount of spectators that attend. I was not able to attend as a spectator to this show due to prior commitments, but from what I have heard from people that I have talked with that did attend, is that it needs a new location to draw more people and cars. I cannot say the location is not right, but it seems to me that the location of the first show was better suited for a show of this size as there were other Supercar related things see besides the show. Wasn't there a tour of Cliff Ernst's collection in Hendersonville plus the drag racing? Then if the family wanted they could visit Nashville. How about doing something similar but having the show in Pigeon Forge TN close to Floyd Garrett's Museum? The location should provide just as much entertainment for the whole family as Springfield does. Or have it close to one of the other muscle car collections that people have: Milt Robson (if he still has it) in Atlanta, or Dick Bridges collection. Some people may not like my next suggestion but how about combining it with other makes of Supercars: Royal Pontiacs, Grand Spaulding/Mr Norms Dodges, Hurst AMC's, etc...if only to increase the number of cars attending? These are all Supercars and would make for a collection of rare hi performance cars that you don't see at "all makes welcome" type shows. I do appreciate the people who take the time to restore these cars and bring them to shows across the country for everyone to see. Oh well, I can't wait to see more pics from this years show and hopefully next year I can attend no matter where it is at....Rat Pack......

moparts
08-23-2000, 01:06 PM
I think that having Speed Vision there probally outweighed having the magazines there. I think that getting more exposure will help bring in the crowds but that cost big bucks to advertise enough. Also if you get bigger crowds would we be able to set out all the memoribila for everyone to see.

[Edited by moparts (08-23-2000 at 08:06 AM).]

moparts
08-23-2000, 02:39 PM
I feel like the looser in a prize fight!!!!

Sorry I said anything!!!!!

They did spend 2 hrs. filming 2 white corvairs!!!!!

bkhpah
08-23-2000, 02:41 PM
This event will never make everyone happy. Thats a given. Different people seem to want different things. Those that have never attended even have opinions. The first show was a nice event, with the auction and the Ernst collection, but it was outdoors and the heat was unbelievable. How many Yenko auctions do you think you can have. Ernst was not into hosting another event for his reasons, and he was the benificiary of the show with his hotel hosting and having a dinner there. Would not the Ernst collection even seem old after the third event? An indoor facility is a must, have you ever gone to an event that rained the entire weekend?, I have. I would not even consider bringing any memorabilia to an outside show, or an event that had hundreds of non related cars at the site. I have been to many large car shows with our Yenko cars that only a handful of others liked or knew what they are. If the Supercar Reunion becomes just a small part of a larger show the reson for the show is lost. Super Chevy tried it in the early 90's. Gave a circus tent to the Yenko owners and said there you are have a nice time. The owners had to put the tent up. It was not a success. Cars and Parts did it in the 90's as well as part of a swap meet. This was again miles short of the Clary event. Lost in the shuffle of a major swap meet around it. If I am looking for parts for a 30 Ford do I care about the Yenko cars? The tent was roped off. No interaction with the outsde world. No cool displays, just cars inside a tent. As for new cars attending this years show there was two new ZL/1's a red and black COPO Camaro, a black COPO Chevelle, two new yellow Yenko's and a green Yenko, a yellow Berger Camaro, a white Yenko Turbo Z, and a Stinger Corvair. That a nice count of new cars to me. You have to be at the event to appriciate the cars and friend that you make. The show is only a part of the fun. I have talked to people this week aready on the phone that I didn't know just a week ago, and finally met email buddies in person. Meeting Valerie Harrell and seeing old friends again. Can you put a value on that side if the show?

sixtiesmuscle
08-23-2000, 03:44 PM
I'm glad to see a spirited discussion on the reunion. In the TRUE spirit of a club, however, everyone should have a right to express their feelings without being bashed by someone who disagrees. If the real goal is to take a good thing and make it better, then listen, consider, and respond. If the goal is to maintain the status quo, then keep slamming dissenters and those members who could not, or chose not to attend, and you'll get what you've got, a reunion that will get smaller every year.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
08-23-2000, 06:17 PM
I am with Brian on this one. When I finally get my schedule right, and get to attend one of these SuperCar Shows, I don't want to drive 18 hours to see a 19k plus built '69Z or 79k plus built '69 SS Chevelle. I want to see a small group of COPO or Dealer Prepared SuperCars - only! I want to get under the hood, crawl underneath, look at original build sheets and POP's, and talk with other owners about their cars. I can look at the RPO stuff all year long here in PA.

If Tom decides to move the show, or needs assistance with it, I will help in any way that I can. But as it stands now, next year, I will plan on truckin out to Springfield, MO. (This year I missed it again, we bought our first house and had 'settlement' on 8/18 and couldn't change it - bummer!)

M

[Edited by YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY (08-23-2000 at 01:17 PM).]

bowtie3168
08-23-2000, 07:53 PM
I just wanted to say that I had a GREAT time at "The Super Car Reunion". Tom Clary, his family and friends did a GREAT job putting everything together. THANK YOU! I also wanted to thank the members of the club who were nice enough to bring their cars and memorabilia to share with all of us.Thank you to Valerie Harrell for sharing her thoughts about her dad with us. Thank you to Ray Morrison for giving us an insight as to what it was like to buy a "Super Car" new. I think that the "familiar", friendly setting that the show had made it a lot of fun to attend. If you missed it this year, make sure that you set aside time next year. I will.

Andrew

bkhpah
08-24-2000, 03:34 AM
I enjoy the other musclecars as much as the next guy, but I don't want the show to become an all inclusive show. What was at the show is exactly what is right about the show. The ultimate musclecar era machines. The most outrages cars ever built. More cars cause more trouble. Does a owner of a 71 Z/28 care about the 427 cars? Maybe. I have been to the big shows and the small. Super Chevy has become a joke, the Super Nationals are just way to big. The intimate close show that has become the Super Car Reunion is fine for me. As for the engine in the Yenko Camaro it was the race built Yenko 427 competition engine, a little hotter than stock.
BKH

[Edited by bkhpah (08-23-2000 at 10:34 PM).]

COPO
08-24-2000, 12:16 PM
It seems like my original post did start a somewhat spirited discussion. Again, my thought was how do we take a great show and make it better. It seems like most people feel the priorities are a non-judged show, drag racing, an indoor event, and primary/absolute focus on the Supercars. There also seems to be a fairly strong sentiment to increase the number of Supercars in attendance and increase the number of spectators (within reason). The next logical question is whether the Springfield, MO location is the best spot for future events. The indoor facility, the Hotel next door and the drags nearby are certainly close to ideal and might be difficult to replicate in another location. Can a different location bring in more Supercars and spectators and keep past show attendees coming back? I don't have the answers, but it seems like the idea deserves some merit. Someone mentioned Pigeon Forge, TN perhaps doing something w/Floyd's Museum?? Tom, I'd certinaly be willing to help you and other club members make next year's show even better and again, thanks for all your hard work in maling the 2000 event so sucessful.

sixtiesmuscle
08-28-2000, 05:02 AM
Has the discussion on the future of "The Reunion" been abandoned, or is everyone just gathering their thoughts. From talking with many people I know there are a lot of good ideas out there that might help to work toward a situation that would satisfy most. If it remains a my way or no way issue, no one will be happy in the end.