PDA

View Full Version : Prout Chevrolet Items

bkhpah
08-30-2000, 02:44 PM
Does anyone out there have any Prout Chevrolet items? The dealer was in the Clevland Ohio area and sold a group of very interesting COPO Camaros with the 9737 option ,center fuel gauge, and in-dash tach. Most of the cars seem to have been radio delete, nonspoiler and M-22's. Any info on this dealer would be great!
BKH

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-08-2000, 06:55 PM
Brian/Stan;
What is the 'Trout' portion of Prout Trout? Was a trout their identifier?
Marlin

Rowdy Rat
09-08-2000, 07:19 PM
Marlin,

The dealer emblem that Prout Chevrolet used was basically an outlined fish (think of the design that various Christian organizations use) with "PROUT" located in the body of the fish. When I was living in the Cleveland area, my friends and I always referred to it as the "Prout trout" - mainly because that's what all the other gearheads called it.

Regards,

Stan

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-08-2000, 07:42 PM
Stan:
I can give you several sizes of the Christian Fish, can a Prout Trout be made from one?
Marlin

Rowdy Rat
09-09-2000, 03:31 AM
Marlin,

That's pretty much the holdup at this point... I can remember the general makeup of the emblem, but as far as particular measurements, I have no idea. The last one that I remember seeing was right before I left the Cleveland area almost 17 years ago, so the old memory is a little fuzzy on the details. I imagine a trip through one of the Cleveland area boneyards on a future trip out there should score a couple. Thanks for your offer to help though!

Regards,

Stan

orig69ss
09-09-2000, 04:14 AM
the dealership with the trout emblem is now called bass chevrolet in cleveland ,it might have been prout at one time.

Rowdy Rat
09-09-2000, 05:08 AM
Still looking for Prout Chevy items... License plate frames, key fobs, trunk emblems, etc. Also, any information on COPO cars sold through Prout in 1969. As Brian mentioned, Prout had about a dozen similarly equipped 427 Camaros for sale and I'm looking for any background info on these cars.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

Stan

Rowdy Rat
09-11-2000, 01:11 PM
orig69ss,

Actually, Prout Chevrolet is now Jack Matia Chevrolet in Elyria, OH, just west of Cleveland. However, now that you mention it, I seem to remember Bass Chevrolet as well. Do you recall where they are located? You're saying that they had a similar emblem? I don't remember it, but it certainly makes sense - a lot more sense than Prout using it. I'd love to hear more about that!

Regards,

Stan

orig69ss
09-11-2000, 01:30 PM
Rowdy Rat Bass Chevrolet is on northfield road in warrenville ,hts a subburb of Cleveland.

CopoDoug
09-12-2000, 05:12 AM
Stan, Bass Chevrolet has been in business since 1930. The dealership has always been controlled by the Bass family and is currently operated by Dick Bass. In Dick's office on display are many versions of there dealer emblems including die casts from the past, current examples have been decal. Do not know when change over (metal to decal) may have taken place but they seem to have used a fish for many years. Information above was related to me by a relatively new salesman to the dealership named Charlie McGlumphy. Maybe you could speak to Dick Bass, there number is (216)475-4800 and are in the current location since around 1964. Doug

CopoDoug
09-18-2000, 02:36 PM
Stan, attended a festival and car show in downtown Elyria Oh. yesterday (originaly the home of Prout Chevrolet)looking for Prout emblemed cars, didn't find any with the emblem still on but did see the Butternut Yellow Double Copo delivered by Prout. I spoke with a former owner who raced it in the seventies who removed that emblem from this car. The car is restored, its an 03E sport car conversion M-22 non spoiler car like the others and being the 40-40 paint car it is most likely the one that W.R. had the paper work on. I have more info for you.
Doug

Rowdy Rat
09-18-2000, 04:26 PM
Doug,

Sounds like an interesting car! It sure looks like all the 9561 cars that Prout received were identically optioned - I haven't heard of one yet that wasn't a 9737/M-22/no radio/no spoilers car (what's the count now - 6?).

Hopefully, you were able to snap some photos of the car! I'll give you a call tomorrow night to go over the details. Thanks again for the info!

Regards,

Stan

copo69
09-18-2000, 04:58 PM
Interesting car as my car is also a 3E car and a double COPO but was delivered to Ed Stinn in Cleveland. if you look on a 69 calendar you'll find it was a one day week so these cars are Monday cars. Anyway to get the VIN ?