PDA

View Full Version : Baldwin Help?

71LS5
09-23-2000, 06:12 PM
I had originally posted this on the Chevelle site and it was suggested that I try here.

This is a question concerning a Baldwin Corvette (or a clone). I was hoping ther would be some experts here that could give me some pointers as to whether this is a real Baldwin car or not.

My buddy here in Arkansas just bought a '69 Vette that he thought might be a Baldwin conversion Phase ??? GT car. No motor. Just the shell. And is it ever rough. It will take a lot of work and money, but if it is a Baldwin it will be well worth it. It is flying the 427 badges on the hood and has the GT headlights, but just not sure and may be a clone car.

Did Baldwin have its own nose clip that replaced the one from the factory? It looks like this one had the pop-up headlights just fiberglassed over. In addition, I noticed a piece of lumber (like oak maybe) up underneath the headlight location that is held there with fiberglass/tape. One of the pieces of lumber has some writing on it and can barely make it out as an address:

Coastal Re.......
W 170 .......
Costa Mesa .....

Sorry, that is all I can make out.

This car also has at least 2 coats of paint on it as well. Right now it is a yellow car but has been dark green at one time. It also has t-tops. Does anyone know if Baldwins had t-tops?

Does anyone know of any books that I might find that has all of the Baldwin cars documented, like VINs of cars they did?

------------------
71 LS-5

COPO
09-23-2000, 08:28 PM
The keeper of the VIN's is Mr. Motion himself and last I heard it will run you $1,500 to find out from him. There are a couple of folks here that should be able to answer your other questions.

JoeC
09-23-2000, 08:43 PM
I would start out by checking all the numbers and codes (engine, trans, rear, trim tag, etc.) you can find and see what you have. I'm not possitive but I believe it would have started out as a big block car if its really a 1969 Phase III GT. The later ones could be small block cars. There is another post on this site with some info. Also keep in mind that Motion sold the fiberglass in kits. Does it have the fast back style rear window?

sYc
09-24-2000, 12:01 AM
I may know something about this car. At about the time of the first reunion, fall of 1998, I got a call from a dealer in AR who had what he thought was a Motion Vette. He was trying to get Joel to come look at the car. I tried to get the car and Joel together at the reunion, but could not get it done. The story I was told (from the owner, not Joel) about the car was this, it may have been a Phase III car, but did not have the right front end, as Motion cars have what looks like a Dino Ferrari front end. Joel told me that he had priced a front end clip to the guy, but the guy did not want to pay the big bucks Joel was asking for the front end. Joel did not say if he thought the car was legit or not. Tom

ed427vette
09-24-2000, 12:34 AM
About the front end: If the car originally came as a GT with the single headlight buckets, they would not have any bodywork over the pop-up lights. A new front clip was put in place, which was a part that was sold through Motion. Also Joel will document the car for less than $1000 if he knows for sure it is his. The problem is he has people helping him document his cars and in turn they need to get paid. Just found that out. It is worth at least to ask him.
It is also possible it could be a small block car. Again only Joel would know. From the sound of the front end as you described, that part was not done by Motion. Good luck

71LS5
09-24-2000, 06:21 PM
Some new information from this morning's visit.

This car is currently setting at Razorback Restoration in Rogers, AR. Fellow by the name of Wade Whittaker owns the place. A customer had him drag the shell in and asked him to do some research to see if it was a BM car. If it is, he is willing to spend what it takes to get the car back to exactly original.

First of all, I was wrong....it is a '68 and not a '69 as I previously posted. Got some additional information on it as well.
VIN: 194378S423987 if I read these correctly. Darn bifocals!!!

Trim tag reads:
CHEVROLET K29
TRIM STD 983 PAINT

In addition, this car has a small rear sway bar and a 5 leaf spring setup in the rear. It also has AMIS staggered driving lights with turn signals beside the driving lights.

Not sure if this information means anything as to whether it is a BM car or not. Think it is definitely a 427 factory 4-speed car, even if not a BM.

And JoeC....it does not have the fast back style rear window.

By the way....saw several of the Yenko cars up in Springfield, Mo this past summer. Very impressive, gentlemen. More factory supplied horsepower under 1 roof than I have ever seen (and thank goodness it was air conditioned). Fell in love with the Yenko cars when I spotted a Yenko Duece Nova over in a showroom at R&S Chevrolet in Joplin, MO. Metallic green color. It had to be either in '70 or a year one side or the other of it. Dang. Heck to get old. First thing to go is your memory. Can't remember what the second thing is.

ed427vette
09-24-2000, 06:51 PM
If the car is a '68 then it is definately not a phase III GT. It still may have the possibility of being a Motion car, but not a GT. The GT program started in 69. What kind of hood is on it?

bowtie3168
09-25-2000, 12:20 AM
I remember Ray Pennington talking about that car. If you want you can contact him ( he does not have a computer)by phone. If you want I will foward him your name so that he could contact you.

Andrew