PDA

View Full Version : 1969 phase III Corvette

69motion
10-18-2000, 11:10 PM
im restoring a 69 phase3 motion vet any one with any orig pictures for striping please let me know the car was repainted once deleting stripes. the car was recently stripped and is now down to glass he took no time stripping the car hence my delemma

whitetop
10-19-2000, 03:26 PM
What color was the car? Many many articles/photos were written about these cars. Yours may have been one of them.
whitetop

NWYENKO
10-19-2000, 04:12 PM
There ia a '69 Phase III in Kevins collection @ corvettes-musclecars.com. I think this is an original car. I don't know if these pictures will be adequate but he can probably be of assistance.

GMH454
10-19-2000, 11:16 PM
I think Joel made a comment somewhere that there was a degree of variance on these cars.
They were not all the same. A lot of them were featured in magazines, and they are not exactly an easy car to forget. How hard have you tried an owner search. If they had photos your problem is solved. Also have you tried Joel. He costs may be steep but he may recollect it. Also without his verification you might sink a lot of money into a qestionable car.
Your body guy did a no brainer though in stripping without photos.
Good luck anyway, as soon as you get some photos especially past ones throw them on here.

69motion
10-20-2000, 11:18 AM
white top the car was origanally gold with a black stripe .ive talked with the orig owner many times he says he remembers seeing one photo but to date hasnt found it. he is very nice and is in the process of trying to find any more paper work, his copies of bm paper work ,registrations ect. .

JoeC
10-20-2000, 12:36 PM
The Motion cars are fairly well documented in the east coast magazines such as Hi Performance Cars and Speed & SuperCar. Do you have a Motion Phase III GT with the fast back flat glass rear window or a Phase III Corvette with the stock body? Some of the cars had the stripe like the white & black ZL1 and others had a wider stripe around the tail section. here is a link to a magazine cover
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1169942&a=8610132&p=28397669

Chevy454
10-20-2000, 02:29 PM
While doing research on our Vega, through vintage mags, articles, etc, we came to this conclusion. There is no one right way to do the stripes, as each car seems to be a little(sometimes a lot) different. Joel has been quoted a saying that several different body shops did the work and were not held to strict guidelines. Tom

69motion
10-21-2000, 11:48 AM
joe ,thanks for the pick that will help out alot my car is identical to the one in the picture except it has orig headlights and no fastback rear

SuperCars
10-21-2000, 01:15 PM
69 Motion, my 69 motion vette is a Phase III with original headlites and rear glass also. As you probably know; the fastback rear glass and enclosed headlites was the GT version. (I always thought that the GT version looked like an overgrown Opel Kadett)Anyway I can try to measure my stripes and give you some type of guideline. Just as someone has already said though; most likely no two cars from Baldwin Motion were the same. Kevin

JoeC
10-21-2000, 03:21 PM
Here is a picture of another Phase III GT with a wide stripe over the gas tank area and around the tail section. This is the car with the Dodge filler cap that was mentioned here on another post. It is in process of restoration. I think most of the cars used the aftermarket filler cap made by Grant or somebody. The width of the stripe on the hood and roof should be pretty easy since it was about as wide as the scoop opening.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1169942&a=8610132&p=31182231

69motion
10-23-2000, 12:52 PM
joe thank u for the pic, kevin if you could measure the strips that would be great also during conversation with the orig owner he said he ran blue streak tires in the rear was this a motion option or a owner option the owner memory isnt perfect thanks jeff

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-23-2000, 08:35 PM
I picked up the Jan. '75 of Chevy Action this past Sat. at a swap meet. This issue has several pics of Motion Vettes, both Phase III cars and GT/Manta Ray models. If it would help I could try to post some pics here, there seems to be several different stripe variations. There is one vette without stripes, and another that is a turbocharged small block from a Newfoundland owner. Another ZL/X 454 conversion vette only has hood stripes, nothing over the roof or wrapped around the tail panel.

Some wild pics!!
M

[Edited by YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY (10-23-2000 at 03:35 PM).]

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-24-2000, 04:43 PM
Attached are two pics showing some different stripe designs, maybe they are different models, (Phase III vs. GT?) which would explain the different stripes?

Marlin

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=378134&a=2796934&p=31435036&Sequence=0&res=high

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=378134&a=2796934&p=31435037&Sequence=0&res=high

whitetop
10-24-2000, 11:48 PM
69 Motion
A gold Phase III Corvette was featured in Hi-Performance cars in late '69 or early '70 and it was in color. It had the black stripe and Cragars. It had either redline or blue line tires. I do not think it had the "customized" rear window. I think Joe C may have that issue. It has to be your car.
whitetop

69motion
10-25-2000, 10:59 AM
joe c if u could post pics of the gold 69 phase III vet that would be great

JoeC
10-25-2000, 02:51 PM
I looked through one box of mags and found this but it is a gold Phase III GT. I have heard that a gold/black stripe GT was sold to a pro football player (when new) whose team colors were gold and black. This may be it. On a side note the pictured small block cross ram motor was for the Motion LT1 350 1969 Z/28 Camaro " Green Meanie". You can see it in the backround of the engine photo. The Green Meanie was built after Motion saw the Car & Driver/Penske built " Blue Maxie" 1969 LT1 350 Z/28 raffle car. Joel felt the Blue Maxie was too wimpie with AC and had to build a LT1 Z/28 with more power and no AC. This Green/white stripe 69 Z/28 car used the ZL1 stlye hood which they called the "Green Meanie hood" but today most people call it the ZL1 hood.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1169942&a=8610132&p=31509838

whitetop
10-25-2000, 03:27 PM
Thaks Joe for posting the picture. This is not the car I was thinking of. There was another Gold car that did not have all the "bells & whistles" done to the body. It was a very bright gold and did have the Cragar SS wheels. I may have sold that issue to someone else. Thanks again Joe for posting the pic
Dave

69motion
10-26-2000, 11:16 AM
thanks joe c and white top my car is the car that was purchased by the football player he played for the pittsburg steelers and bought the car new in 69 he chose the colors to match the gold and black of pitts one cool item is that the orig. title shows a hotel as his address i talked to him. when he played he lived out of a hotel