PDA

View Full Version : 8 Tracks and other cool stuff

Charley Lillard
10-20-2000, 01:54 AM
Do you remember when everybody had a 8 track tape deck hanging under the Dash ? When you restore a car think about how cool a new 8 track deck would look hanging. It would be perfect for the Period. There is a guy on Ebay named Mr.Ca$h that is selling them brand new in the box for around 25.00. He also sells 8 track to FM converters so you can listen to FM through the deck. This stuff really takes me back. He even has a 8 track to CB. I need someone else to start buying this stuff. I'm afraid that I will end up with more stuff than I will ever use. Help me. Help me.

Bob Jenkins
10-20-2000, 04:22 AM
Charley, you are not alone. I still have the 8-track under my dash in my 1969 Camaro SS 396/375 car. It still works and I listen to
it everytime I drive my car. It kind of ads to the nostalgia feel of the car.

Charley Lillard
10-20-2000, 01:43 PM
Bob, you need to but the 8 track to FM Converter he sells. It slides into the 8 track and is FM Stereo. I got mine for under 20.00. Brand new Old stuff. Oh My!!!!

sYc
10-20-2000, 02:35 PM
Charley; I agree, that is what made the cars unique back then, the personel touches, such as 8 tracks, etc. Rob's Chevelle had one in it, which was kind of neat, since I had several 8-tracks left from the old days. I had forgotten about the cross-tracking problem though. Tom

Charley Lillard
10-20-2000, 02:50 PM
I pooled my 8 tracks with an old friends. I have over 350 of them.

bkhpah
10-21-2000, 11:57 AM
How's this one sound. Marlin an myself have just discovered a Yenko Deuce with a set of Stewart Warners mounted under the 8 track. Cool....
BKH

JoeC
10-21-2000, 03:32 PM
My brother has a 1969 RS Camaro purchased from the original owner. The car has the factory 8 track and the original owner gave us the demo 8 track tape that came with the car. The tape has some Chevy ads and Bonanza music and a song by the guy who played the Dad on Bonanza. yeee haww!

Unreal
10-22-2000, 02:06 PM
We know we're getting old when someone refers to the "guy who played the Dad on Bonanza," and we know his name was Lorne Greene!
Gary

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-23-2000, 12:29 PM
What's Bonanza?? (a movie??)
M

JoeC
10-23-2000, 01:34 PM
Bonanza was a popular TV series Western about a man and his three sons working the family ranch. The show did a lot of Chevrolet advertising. One son was Dan Blocker who played œHoss” on the show. Dan was involved with the Nickey Chevrolet racing program as an owner and he also received one of the new Z16 1965 396/375 Chevelles. Few Z16Ãs were sold to the public and only 201 were built.

Chevy454
10-23-2000, 01:50 PM
I found a '70 AM/FM 8 track for my LS-6 about a year ago, and used to listen to it all the time. It's kind of odd...it was a bright red car, with the SS stripes, and the 454, but I probably got more compliments on that radio than any other part of the car. I also got the typical "...does it work?" questions. I was also lucky enough to snag a bunch of original Chevrolet "sampler" 8-tracks, which feature everything from classical music to the then current rock. It's a good thing I kept that radio when I sold my car... http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/wink.gif

[Edited by Chevy454 (10-23-2000 at 08:50 AM).]

bowtie3168
10-23-2000, 03:05 PM
I think that adding "period correct add-ons" is a great idea! When I am looking around at a car show I think that they make a car stand out more. Things like 8-tracks and other dealer installed options make the cars seem more "real". I like to see dealer plaques on deck lids too. How cool is it when you are showing your car and someone walks up to you and says 'I bought my car at the same dealer and I have some info that I would like to share with you'?
Here is some more info on Dan Blocker of "Bonanza". Dan Blocker was a "gear head". Chevrolet Motor Division sponsored the show and gave Blocker a "Crocus Yellow" Chevelle Malibu Super Sport Z-16. Blocker drove the car for a while and then either returned it or traded it in when his next car came in. Blocker died suddenly of a pulminary emblolism in 1972. The car changed hand several times and is now owned by Terry Gunter (who lives in Georgia). The car was featured on "The American Muscle Car" on "Speedvision". I have a "Nickey" catalog that has a photo of Dan Blocker and Dick Harrell in it. Rob has a copy, maybe he can scan the photo onto the thread.
Andrew

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-24-2000, 04:16 PM
This pic is from a Yenko Nova that was located some time ago. Original owner installed the 8-track and Greenline Stewart Warner guages. Brian and I went on a Yenko hunting trip, and had an appointment to see this car. It is Pretty cool!!
Marlin

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=378134&a=2796937&p=31435028&Sequence=0&res=high

COPO
12-08-2000, 02:41 AM
Charley, the L-78 convertible was delivered today. Now, that I am the proud owner of an 8-track equipped car, I'll need to borrow some of those groovy tunes of yours.

Charley Lillard
12-08-2000, 03:57 AM
Ha. How do you like it ?