PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Rare '70 COPO 427 Nova

YenkoYS100
11-18-2000, 12:48 AM
Geez, All these years I have thought the last year for a 427 Factory GM installed engine, into a Chevy passenger car was '69. I guess I'm wrong again. And imagine.........The bad news is the Orig. 427/425hp. engine is gone........Nice '69 fender emblems.Great shot of the horses ass in the picture. <Grin>
Rick
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=501525156 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=501525156)

[Edited by YenkoYS100 (11-17-2000 at 07:48 PM).]

redline
11-18-2000, 04:16 AM
Back in around '81, a buddy of mine bought an original one,a '69 aluminum head 427, off a guy's front lawn- the price: $350...that was for the whole car!

[Edited by redline (11-17-2000 at 11:16 PM).]

bbdon
11-18-2000, 05:40 AM
Well, there is a sucker born every minute. And it also seems that there is a shyster born every minute to take advantage of them. I must be one of the goofballs that the seller is talking about, since I have no desire to bid on this. It is pretty obvious that this is just a converted plain jane small block car.

A69COPO2
11-18-2000, 08:07 PM
Well, if the Nova is a Real SS, I would think it would also have black steering colunm. the fender emblem, seams to be 68, and of all things, has A/C. That has to be one Rare HP auto, never knew they installed High Horse Power Motors, with A/C. Go figure,some sucker will buy it, watch and see.Wish we could edit his add, to warn all buyers.

Chevy454
11-18-2000, 10:20 PM
Here is a nice touch he added at the end:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>On Nov-18-00 at 14:50:17 PST, seller added the following information:
Due to the a histerical cry-baby notifying me that he know everything about every chevrolet car ever built, This car is NOT a original SS car, my description never said otherwise. The car has Never been restored!!! I've owned this car for a number of years, I bought it in the condition that you see it. It has a brand new out of the crate LS6 454 from chevrolet. This car is as near perfect as you will find on this planet. Bid on this car as you see it. a gorgeous nova with a new 454 motor. I wasn't there when the car was purchased new, I do not know where it was originally sold, what dealer put the motor in, chevrolet did not put 427 or 454 in chevrolet novas EVER!!! Aftermarket companies did this conversion. Is this in fact one of those cars? I don't know for sure, I have No documentation on this car, If I did I would be asking 3 times as mush as my reserve. If I had papers on this car I'd shove them down this jerks throat. I hope this clears up any perceived misrepresentations on this car. If you don't like it, don't bid. Please no more cry babies that drive pintos emailing me to tell me how much you know.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A69COPO2
11-19-2000, 12:51 AM
Well, I have one thing to say,"Don't mislead the unknowing"...Do you think he's pissed http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/smile.gifHe doesn't even know what he's selling, looks recondition to me.

micky69396
11-19-2000, 01:27 AM
I would tend to stick up for the guy whos selling this car. He never said it was a 427 car or anything like that. I knew the first time I read the description that it was a built car. Its kind of like when you have parts for sale and someone tells you that you have them priced too high. If your not interested dont buy them. Dont go crying about it.

YenkoYS100
11-19-2000, 01:41 AM
I'm sorry that I read and assume too much from what I have read.

Here's the Header for the auction : 1970 Chevrolet : Nova 14,000 miles
427/425HP Awsome MINT SHOW Orignial

Then you get this in the description :
Ordered with low options, radio delete, no tinted glass, no carpet, has 12 bolt posi with 4.10 gears, turbo 400 transmission on the column, bench seat. Trunk looks as if it's never been used. now for the not so good part, the original motor was plucked out some time ago and now has a fresh out of the crate LS6 454 450HP.

Did I read something wrong ????

It is a B.S. Type auction to suck in the unknowing.

Why does he later say this : ???

, chevrolet did not put 427 or 454 in chevrolet novas EVER!!! Aftermarket companies did this conversion. Is this in fact one of those cars? I don't know for sure

Rick

micky69396
11-19-2000, 03:18 AM
I agree he shouldnt have put the "I dont know if its one of these cars" part in his decription, but come on, any "car guy" who half way knows anything knows better. Looks like a nice driver though.

Peter
11-20-2000, 01:00 PM
In 1970 I would have thought at least power brakes would have been standard if it was a big block. He never came out and said it was a original 427 car but he made is sound like it was. It is worth harassing him if it means we can prevent someone who doesn't have much money that goes all out to buy it finds out later its really a six cyl car or whatever. Being one of those people that may only own one supercar someday I would hope the one I get is real

Allen
11-20-2000, 01:45 PM
I know there are a lot of experts out there with way more knowledge than I have, but since I have a personal interest in Novas, I felt compelled to comment on that auction.

This Nova looks to be a very nice (and probably quite fun!) driver, but I agree that it is misrepresented as an "Original" and "unrestored" for several reasons.

First, to the best of my knowledge, that 11327 code on the door sticker indicates a 6-cylinder coupe body code. I haven't seen any 6-cylinder Novas come out with 12-bolt posi rears and Turbo 400 trannys.

Also, the SS badging appears to have been added to that "unrestored original unmolested" car.

I believe that '70 SS Novas automatically received front disc brakes. The brake pedal pad on the car does not indicate this. In 14,000 original miles of use, the pedal wouldn't have worn out and needed replaced.

The original steering column is color-keyed to the interior (not black) and doesn't sport the SS badge on the center shroud.

The hood, with its very nice louvers, doesn't have the extra support bracket that factory SS hoods seemed to have.

That front side marker light/bezel is a '68/69 vintage part. I don't think they fit on original '70 Nova fenders with the longer side lights.

The owner contradicts himself by later saying that it isn't an original SS, when it also has never been restored or molested (are we talking about cars or people?). Isn't sticking on badges, changing drive-trains, etc. call modifying? Modifications are cool, but shouldn't be misleading to anyone.

The above notes are just my observations. I have no objections to what was done. It would probably be a sweet package to play with, but don't like to see misleading things like that ad posted out there.

Just my $0.02. Thanks for listening!

sYc
11-21-2000, 01:01 AM
I agree, it looks like a nice driver, but am disappointed in the way it was presented. I hope who ever is bidding on it knows what they are getting into, that it is a built car. I hate to say it, but many times people buy BEFORE checking, not after. We here at the sYc, like several other people I know in our hobby, have had to tell someone that their "special, rare" car is not what they were led to believe. I know it is buyer beware, but a lot of the public does not have the knowledge of these cars that we do. Anytime a fake/clone/built supercar sells as a real one, I think it only hurts our hobby. How would you like to be a judge at the Novas Nats and have to judge this car in the original and/or survivor class, which is where the new owner may feel it belongs? Tom

[Edited by sYc (11-20-2000 at 08:01 PM).]

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
11-21-2000, 02:06 PM
Allen;
Excellent reply, you are right on all counts on this car being a 6 cyl. with the catalog SS parts being added for show!
The car is a very nice car, and would make a great street racer if the price would remain reaonable.
M

Allen
11-21-2000, 02:46 PM
Thanks! I guess I'm just picky about those things. I've had four Novas over the years, and my current toy is a '70 Nova SS 396/350hp car. To the best of my knowledge, it appears to have the original factory setup (motor, trans, rear, interior).

Just like you folks with the SuperCars, when I take an interest in something, I try to learn all of the little details that I can. So, based on my interests, I pay attention to the '68-'72 vintage Novas.

I'd love to get one of those prized Yenko Novas, but don't see that happening anytime. My first goal would be to simply ride in or drive one.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
11-21-2000, 03:33 PM
Allen;
I have been working on mine for 4.5 years now, and like you have never driven, or driven in, a '70 Yenko Nova! I have probably seen as many, or more, of these '70 Yenkos as anyone, but have never been able to sneak a ride yet. It has always been; bad weather, still a project, at a show, ect... The closest I have gotten was Dave Belk holding a video camera on his sholder while driving his. It looks like I will have to finish mine first!

If you ever want to part with your '70 396/350hp to get into a Yenko Nova, let me know. There are always cars for sale, ('70's that is).
M

Allen
11-21-2000, 04:56 PM
I suspect that the cash difference to change from my SS396 Nova to a Yenko would still be somewhat significant.

Here are a couple of pics that are hosted on a Nova website.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/3372/allen.html

Someday, I'll learn how to type that so that it is actually a clickable link.

What are the details on your Yenko Nova? Well, I guess the primary variable is the color, since most were optioned the same (drivetrain, interior, exterior badging, etc). Do you have the original drivetrain?

Thanks for the details!