PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know anything about a 74 Motion Can Am Spyder Corvette?

trav311
12-16-2000, 04:58 AM
I read something about a 1974 Motion Can Am Spyder GT Corvette on a corvette sight last night. I have also seen the same car in Muscle Car Review a couple years ago. Does anyone know if this is authentic motion material?

69motion
12-16-2000, 11:10 PM
i heard about the car but to date have no info let me know jeff

JoeC
12-17-2000, 12:36 AM
Yes Motion Performance built a IMSA style Corvette called the Motion Spyder. The one I have seen in a magazine had the wide IMSA fenders and 4 exposed rectangle head lights.

bbdon
12-17-2000, 04:32 AM
Here are a couple of pics. I actually posted these a couple of months ago. I believe that this is actually a 76 model. I would expect that there is a lot of variation from car to car, and that it would be unusual to find any two Motion Corvettes just the same, since these were built to order.
http://www.sonic.net/bbdon/free/cospyder.jpg

trav311
12-17-2000, 06:07 AM
What is one of these worth if documented? I found one for sale that has less than 15,000 original miles on it and is in pretty good shape. It is a little different than the posted pic. It has metal louvers instead of the hatch and doesn't have the big spyder on the cowl. However it does have a plaque that says it's built by motion and all the badges and hone O/D. Anyone have any idea on the value of this?

whitetop
12-17-2000, 09:43 PM
Motion also had a red Corvette with the same exact body modifications that was featured in Hot Rod and Car Craft in '77 or '78. Was yours originally red??
whitetop

trav311
12-18-2000, 05:32 AM
Yeah, this one is red. It looks just like the one in the picture, but doesn't have the spider picture on the cowl and the back window is not a hatch. It has metal louvers on it and the actual window underneath is plexiglass and has clips so it can drop down about 6 inches. Do you guys know what this thing could be worth?

JoeC
12-18-2000, 07:36 PM
Andrew - bbdon posted the pics not me

bowtie3168
12-18-2000, 08:00 PM
Sorry BBDon. Joe thanks for the correction.
Andrew

bzman
12-19-2000, 03:51 AM
ICK!

bowtie3168
12-19-2000, 05:12 AM
Rayburn Pennington is the man to speak to. I met Ray at the reunion this past summer and he knows alot about Motion Vettes. He owns the 1973 Manta Ray Vette.If you e-mail me a way for him to contact you I will pass it on to him (he does not go on the computer). I found the photo article (that Joe C. posted) to be very interesting. Here is the reason why: I was looking at Vette this summer that was racing (in a street class) at Raceway Park (NJ) on "Vette Magazine Day"and it had the same hatch and a wide body kit. I asked the owner what the history was on the car and he told me that the hatches were made only for Corvettes (I wondered if they had been taken off of a Monza Spyder but they had not). I will try to get a photo (if one was taken) to post to compare.

Andrew

Fhakya
12-19-2000, 07:36 AM
Does it look anything like this?
http://www.sharkwerkes.com/sharktank/techinfo/motions.html
This one has been for sale for over a year.

[Edited by Fhakya (12-19-2000 at 02:32 AM).]

[Edited by Fhakya (12-19-2000 at 02:36 AM).]

COPO
12-19-2000, 12:21 PM
clickable

http://www.sharkwerkes.com/sharktank/techinfo/motions.html

JoeC
12-19-2000, 04:46 PM
Fhakya - thanks for the link. That is a good Corvette web site. I was looking through it and found another interesting Corvette on there. It's a 1968 with a prototype ZL1 stripe done at the factory. Here is the link.

http://www.sharkwerkes.com/sharktank/techinfo/68proto.html

bbdon
12-23-2000, 12:35 AM
I found a color pic, I thought I might as well post that too. This is not the same car as the other one, and the spider is not on the hood of this one.
Don.
http://www.sonic.net/bbdon/free/cospyd2.jpg

[Edited by bbdon (12-22-2000 at 07:35 PM).]

mahoy78spyder
01-14-2001, 01:32 AM
<<snip>>I asked the owner what the history was on the car and he told me that the hatches were made only for Corvettes (I wondered if they had been taken off of a Monza Spyder but they had not). I will try to get a photo (if one was taken) to post to compare.<<end>>

To bowtie3168: You're half right about the back hatch coming from a Monza Spyder. The gentleman you spoke to was correct in stating the hatch was made only for the Corvette, but the glass used in the hatch is indeed from a Chevy Monza 2+2 hatchback.

The fiberglass hatchback conversion was an offering by Ralph Eckler of the famed Eckler Industries out of Titusville, FL and could be purchased as an entire back half replacement piece, or as the econo hatchback kit that retained the stock rear bumper.

Interestingly enough, Eckler's also produced a "Monza" one-piece tilt front end, but in reality had nothing in common with the Chevy Monza except for the name and the recessed "Monza-like" quad rectangular headlights that replaced the stock hidden headlamp assembly.

Ken

bowtie3168
01-15-2001, 05:29 AM
Ken,
Thank you for the reply. I knew that I was not imagining the fact that they looked alike.

Andrew