PDA

View Full Version : help!!! with 69 camaro info. what is it???

TwoBryans
01-13-2001, 01:33 PM
all i have for now is info that the owner has provided to me. i want to have my ducks in a row so when i get there i can make him an offer that is fair for what the car is as well as be sure as best as i can what the car really is. the info is as follows. 1969 camaro rs/ss, cowl tag info ST69, 12437, NOR 1885571, TR 727, 76 EPNT, 11 C. he said that when he got the car that it had an inoperable 6000 redline tach. also says that it has the 396/375 emission decal that appears worn enough to be original. the car has a 12 bolt posi as well as disc brakes and cowl hood. obviously these could have been changed but none the less they are there. also according to the owner this is a daytona yellow car. that is all the info that i have for now. i am by no means new to the car scene, but relatively new to this type of car. i don't want to screw myself. i want to be as educated about a car before looking at it as possible. any help offered will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance. bryan

elcamino
01-13-2001, 04:46 PM
I think you need to ask him for the VIN also. Only way to know that the cowl tag year matchs with the VIN year. People have been know to fool with the tag. Also the body number after NOR appears to have one too many digits and I would clear that up. Are there any other codes on the tag, should it not have some X code on the lower right hand portion of the tag if its a real big block car?

The paint code is correct for a Daytona Yellow Car with a Pachment Vinyl Roof (E) Cover.

btw - The flood control is annoying, I mistyped my password and it won't let me correct it for 60 seconds!

[Edited by elcamino (01-13-2001 at 11:46 AM).]

COPO
01-13-2001, 04:49 PM
I think w/out factory paperwork, you'll have a hard time telling what engine is original to the car. A couple of clues for a 375 hp car would be the tag on the passenger side of the radiator (assuming it is still there) and a single 3/8" fuel line coming from the fuel tank. If is has a 5/16" line and a return line then it was not originally a 375 hp car. Finally, even if you are reasonably sure it is an original 375 hp car, I wouldn't attach much of a premium to it as you will very likely have trouble when it's time to sell. That's why cars w/factory paperwork bring the $$'s.

TwoBryans
01-13-2001, 09:23 PM
i also forgot to add that the car has the big block heater core as well as a 4 speed (non matching numbers), but had all the correct linkage and parts according to the current owner when he bought it. also it has 5 leaf rear springs. thanks to elcamino and COPO for their help thus far as well as Mark that sent me an email. keep the help coming and feel free to let me know if there is anything i can do to help any of you. that's one of the things that makes the car hobby satisfying (helping each other). thanks, bryan

JoeC
01-15-2001, 12:17 AM
Get all the numbers and casting dates you can find then do some research on the Camaro sites like CRG and Team Camaro. There is a check list you can use to ID a 375 hp car or a RS. The lists includes small details such as speedometer cable location and exhuast system brackets that should be on a real 375 hp SS. The SS hood hindge springs have two more coils then a non SS and there are many other items to check for. You can also check for signs of rework such as drilled or saw cut holes (like for RS reverse lites) that should be factory stamped. This will not positivly ID a car because even a real car may have had repairs done to it but if you find too many incorrect items it may not be worth the price of a 375hp car.

bkhpah
01-15-2001, 01:55 PM
11C is far to early for a true cowl hood car. By at least a full month...BKH

TwoBryans
01-15-2001, 10:50 PM
thanks for all the help, but unfortunately the car just got sold before i could get my info together. oh well, i guess it's like the old saying goes i snoozed and i lost. hopefully i'll have better luck next time. thanks again for all the help. bryan

Yenkofan
01-16-2001, 12:54 AM
Charley did you buy this kids car?

Just kidding of course....

Gary

TwoBryans
01-16-2001, 01:50 PM
thanks for the compliment Yenkofan i am actually 36 but still a kid at heart especially when it comes to cars.

Charley Lillard
01-16-2001, 02:20 PM
Don't look at me, I have no mo money.

Belair62
01-16-2001, 10:10 PM
Charley,I'm loading up the 62 with canned goods to send out to you. You have to eat.

Charley Lillard
01-17-2001, 02:49 PM
Send a Gas Generator also, we may be out of Power soon.