PDA

View Full Version : Barrett Jackson Deuce

Bob
01-19-2001, 02:33 PM
Anyone familiar with the Nova that is being auctioned next week? You can see it at the Barrett Jackson web site.

SuperCars
01-21-2001, 01:17 PM
I am at Barret Jackson now. It sold for $29K. NWyenko bought it; I think that is his user name here? He got a good buy. I don't know a whole lot about the car as didn't really check it out much. Marlin may know more about it.

COPO
01-21-2001, 03:46 PM
Kevin any good deals or interesting Supercars at the auction? I watched some of it on Speedvision, but too many commercials and the announcers were always talking.

01-21-2001, 04:27 PM
This is the Tony Bellow car out of ND.Car was raced heavily in the 70s. Tony sold the car to Mecum auctions last year. Mecum auctioned the car off to Gary Holub. Gary and I traded vehicles, as I had a silver deuce that he wanted. The car was not restored. Mecum had performance restorations in illinos do some work on the car. To my understanding the car had a new wiring harness installed, a rubber mat, paint buffed, new stripe kit,new exhaust, and had a lot of miscellaneous items repaired. Far from a restoration as advertised. When I received the car I had the rims painted, new wide oval tires, some detail stickers, and detailed under the hood. The car has a CE block in it, tranny doesnt match, wrong seats, wrong shifter. I cant remember if the rear end was correct, but I do remember the axle tubes were welded to the pumpkin.I tried to sell the car on e-bay to no avail. I then consigned the car at Duffys in cedar rapids Iowa.They informed me the motor was trashed internally, gas gauge and dash lights didnt work, etc. etc. etc.. Duffys rebuilt the motor and corrected everything wrong with that car before it was sold. They are a class and honest outfit. They made it clear to me that the car would not be sold until everything was corrected. Price on the car was around 38,000. Some guy traded cash and 2 vehicles for the nova. This was a nice looking car with a very straight body, and only 25,000 miles. Good luck with your new car!

Belair62
01-21-2001, 04:29 PM
I've been watching too. I am a little surprised at some of the comments by Brock Yates and Alain De Cadenet (sp). They seem to be putting a lot of personal comments in there. A couple times they didnt like the color of a certain car and described having a bucket near by to "get sick" in when you have to look at it !! I would think they would try to be a little more cautious.Maybe it's for audience entertainment but I would hate to have my car shot down on national TV by them.Jackson said he was a bit disappointed with the prices for Full Classics but the Hot Rods,Muscle Cars and Sports cars were bringing strong dollars

NWYENKO
01-21-2001, 11:40 PM
Yup, I bought it. Thought the price was reasonable, car was represented as CE replacement block. Car is really straight and as was stated the motor is fresh. I would like to get receipts from Duffy for work. About $5000 was spent on items mentioned in prior post. It was fun seeing Charley, Larry, Kevin, Ed at the auction. Thanks to Charley for setting me up with your hauler, really great guys. Also thanks to Marlin for the early Friday phone consultation after my wife had a somewhat sleepless night being concerned about the authenticity of the car. The guy that brought the car to the auction apparently did a swap with Duffy's and ended up with a vette and a high dollar Hemi Cuda. Did not seem to know or care much about the Deuce. At least it is now in the hands of someone who is fast becoming a Fanatic( my wifes description) for these cars. To further the story, before we could get the car out an elderly gentleman had a mild stroke and fell down the drivers door before I could get to him and put a big scratch through the stripe (which was of very little concern at the time), I think he is OK, the paramedics were there in a hurry. Now back to the stripe, is it possible to get just the door stripe or do you think I could ahve a matching one made? This post has gotten way to long and I apologize!!

MikeA
01-22-2001, 12:17 AM
NWYENKO

Good luck with your Deuce!!! Make sure to tell Marlin to update the registry.

MikeA

SuperCars
01-22-2001, 02:16 PM
COPO, yes there was a lot of interesting things that took place. The 67 Nickey there went no-sale at $85K. It went to $90K and stalled, then backed down to $85K, which I don't know how they did that; perhaps shill bidders? Charley Lillard says after the no-sale that a guy was trying to unload some cars to try to buy the Nickey direct afterwards though. I bid on a 68 Hurst OLDS race car that was restored to factory original but with the racer's logo's on the sides. It was delivered new to a dealership close by me. The guy bidding against us may have had a bit to much to drink, so there was no hope in those situations. Lots of other stuff went on!!!

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-22-2001, 03:05 PM
Kevin;
The musclecars didn't seem to get the prime time Speedvision coverage, can you tell us some more about different cars? I did see a '70 Chevelle, LS5 go for something like $47k?? That seemed high, were the musclecars all selling higher than normal?

I was also surprised with the commentary on Speedvision, I found it easier to watch it on 'mute'. They showed the dollar value in the corner of the screen which was all I was interested in anyway!

I spoke with the new owner of this red Deuce early Friday morning, it appears to be a nice car. Best of luck with it Jim!! The car was sold new out of Wallace Chev. in Linden, NJ - a southern suburb of New York City. Wallace received several cars, 4 of which have been located - none are in New Jersey anymore. (See the new site feature of original car photos, the last one that we found was a Cortez Silver 4 speed car). I will try to post a photo later on.
Marlin

NWYENKO
01-22-2001, 06:07 PM
Marli, thanks for posting the pictures. Also thanks again for the time Friday morning. One of the interesting cars that sold Fri morning was a '68 RS/SS 396 375 with 16000 miles. It drew quite a crowd. It sold for $51000. I thought Charley was going to buy it but he said had NO MO MONEY!!!. Kevin, the Russ Dunmire car sold to a guy from Phoenix for $28000. He was parked by the hauler I was using. He tried to drive the car out but it would not come out of 1st gear. It looked like a very nice car though. Marlin let me know what info you need to update the registry. I am anxiously waiting to get the car here and continue to make it better.

bowtie3168
01-22-2001, 06:50 PM
NWYenko,
I saw the car that you bought, it was nice, congrats. What did you think about the "Tri-powered" 67 Nickey Camaro? They did a "no-sale" on it at $87,000 and then sold it outside later for more. Did you check it out? What did you think?

Andrew

SuperCars
01-22-2001, 06:53 PM
Hi Marlin, Its been a while since I talked to you; just got busy with work. Yes the 68 Hurst Old I had bid on went for $28K to some one else.The Chevelle convertibles I didn't watch. I did hear that a LS6 Chevelle Convertible which I believe was told to me as having no documents bid to $45K. At the moment it was sold, as it was believed there was no reserve on it. But then the owner stepped in as I guess there was a mix-up between that car and another of his; in that there was supposed to be a reserve on the LS6 but was inadvertently switched between it and another of his cars. It got pretty heated, arguing; and he pulled the car due to the mix-up. The 16,000 mile original 68 375 HP Camaro above went for $51,000, which totally surprised me. I lost a dollar bet to Lillard on that one. (Quit laughing Charlie or I won't send you the buck!) There was a lot more activity but with so many cars and dollar numbers flying I lost track of some of it. I should have been taking notes.

COPO
01-22-2001, 08:23 PM
What on earth was so special about the '68 375 hp camaro?? Sounds like at least double market price for that one. The 68's usually bring the least of the 1st gens. and while 16K miles is relatively low it is not that low. Was it 160 miles? $51K just doesn't sound right..........was the drunk guy bidding on that one too?

The '67 Nickey was the one restored by the Camaro club in the Joe Lukason collection. It has been for sale for quite a while for $100K.

[Edited by COPO (01-22-2001 at 03:23 PM).]

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-23-2001, 05:28 AM
This is the red deuce that was just sold at the B-J auction. These photos were taken before additional detail work was done to it by Dave Belk and Duffy's.
M

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=378134&a=2796934&p=38812542&Sequence=0&res=high

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=378134&a=2796934&p=38812541&Sequence=0&res=high

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=378134&a=2796934&p=38812539&Sequence=0&res=high

Charley Lillard
01-23-2001, 05:48 AM
The 68 L78 was the nicest unrestored one I have seen. Great car, great paperwork. Has orig. rims with orig. Tigerpaw Redlines taht are not on the car. Tail panel is Gloss Black but the owner said he waxed it years ago. But even around the trunk weatherstrip was gloss Black . Great car for detail stuff. I took a Bunch of pics of it of just stupid stuff. How about the 440 sixpack 69 SuperBee that went for 65,000.00 ? Or my friends So So Black LS6 Chevelle that sold for 39.5 ? Wow !!!!!! At least I won a Dollar. :-) Everyone should go to at least one BJ auction. There is soo much cool stuff to see. How about 6 supercharged 57 Tbirds all for sale by one owner ?

JoeC
01-23-2001, 12:33 PM
Did anyone notice the 1965 Z16 Chevelle? I hear it sold for 74K. I donĂt know the condition but that sounds like a low price. Only 201 Z16Ăs made and has a unique 396/375 with a hyd. cam. Cool car - the granddaddy of the big block Chevelles and it goes for less then an LS6? Charlie “ did you stock up on candles and flashlight batteries while in Arizona?

Charley Lillard
01-23-2001, 02:21 PM
The Z16 was a very nice car. It was restored maybe 10 years ago but not driven. I actually bought a Generator about a month ago when I heard all this Crap was gonna happen. Used it once already.

bowtie3168
01-23-2001, 06:20 PM
I was on stage when the Z-16 was sold. I thought that it was a nice piece. Here is a little history: There were 201 built;all two door hardtops, all but two were built at the Kansas City Plant. I was told that the other two were early release press/test cars.Here is what I was told: They were built at the Baltimore plant (early release test/press cars)and had "Experimental" markings on parts in the engine compartments. I know a gentleman that owns one of the "Baltimore" cars and a "Kansas City" car. Dan Blocker (of Bonanza) had a "Crocus Yellow" Z-16 that has been featured on "The American Muscle Car" on "Speedvision". The car may have been delivered to Blocker at "Nickey Chevrolet", but, it is hard to prove (the "Nickey" part I mean). The car at "Barrett" was a red/black vinyl top/black interior, Kansas City built car. All Z-16s had a 375hp 396ci(hydraulic cammed yes hydraulic!)/4speed combo mated to a 3:31 to 1 open rear (both rear wheels turn in a burnout I don't know why). They had special (only to Z-16) chassis components. There is a rumor about one convertible going around, but, it is probably bogus. Most Z-16 experts agree on that. I want to thank Mickey Hale who has given me a great deal of "Z16" mechanical info. Mickey has restored a few of them and has quite a bit of knowledge on the subject.

Z28DZ
01-24-2001, 04:23 AM
Man, what a great 3 days I had at my first B-J auction. Thanks to Charley L. for showing me the ropes. Got to meet Kevin, Jim & Dave(Dave had 6 cars up for auction). The '68 SS/RS was a neat Camaro to a #'s match, original component nut like me (51k IS a lot of $'s, but the person who bought it really loved the car). One of the highlights for me was driving Dave's red '70 hemi Cuda onto the auction block. A beautiful car and it went for 86k!! But like anywhere else, you had to really look at the cars. There were some pretty sketchy cars that sold for too much money. If you've never gone to this event, make plans to get to it at least once. Thanks again to all the above mentioned folks, it was really fun.

mahoy78spyder
01-24-2001, 06:47 AM
Thought you all might like to read the short clip that Car & Driver wrote about the B/J auction...

-----------------------------------------
The Daily Auto Insider
Hot Rods Popular in Collector Car Auction
January 23, 2001
Page 1 of 1

Of 846 cars consigned to the 30th annual Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Auction, a record 88 percent were sold, the auction company said in a statement.

The auction, which was held January 18-21, had a total sales volume of $25 million, its highest total in the last decade and one of the largest in the company's history.

According to Barrett-Jackson President Craig Jackson, there was a surge of interest and sales in hot rods. "Muscle cars are hot, but top quality hot rods are the hottest," said Jackson. "These chopped dream machines were generally out-selling muscle cars, which have been rising in popularity. This is a trend to watch." As an example, the 1934 Ford 3-window Coddington Rod was one of the highest priced cars, selling for $130,680.
The most expensive car was a 1931 Duesenberg J Murphy Convertible Coupe that sold for $575,000. Driving on the street won't be the case for the new owner of the 1969 Ford GT-40 MkI race car that went for $432,000. Rounding out the top-tier cars was a 1952 Chrysler d'Elegance Ghia Coupe at $334,800; a 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 Roadster at $297,000; and another 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 Roadster at $245,160.

The oldest car sold was a 1918 Dodge Touring that crossed the block for $12,960, while the newest car, a 2000 BMW Z8, sold for $178,200. Among some of the other notable cars were: Jerry Seinfeld's 1957 Porsche Carrera GT Racer, which was the most expensive Porsche (sold for $92,880) and a 1999 Ferrari 360 Modena owned by two-time Indy 500 winner Arie Luyendyk (sold for $151,200). Baseball's Reggie Jackson got $157,680 for a rare 1953 Mercedes-Benz 300 S Cabriolet, and Cecil Fielder's 1961 Chevrolet Impala SS Convertible brought $49,680.

-------------------------------------------

Ken