PDA

View Full Version : Broadway Chev

gambitti
02-26-2001, 07:55 PM
In my recent trips to this dealership I aquired a some of orignal dealership embelems. I don't if any of the Broadway Chev/Yenko owners have theirs, but if there interested I'll send them to you.(no cost)
I got a whole coffee can full!

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-26-2001, 08:05 PM
Gambitti;
I would love to have one, I will contact the guy who has a Yenko from there to see if he wants one as well.
Thanks,
M

Chevy454
02-26-2001, 08:11 PM
While we're on the subject of dealer emblems, would anyone know where we could get a "Van Chevrolet" emblem for our '69 Y-Nova?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-26-2001, 08:19 PM
Dave Tinnell restored a red '70 Yenko Nova that was sold out of Van T. Chev. It is possible that the car had one on it, check with Dave, (?).
Marlin

Chevy454
02-26-2001, 08:20 PM
Where is "Van T" loacated? I think "Van" is in Shawnee, KS. Are they the same thing?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-26-2001, 08:27 PM
Van T. Chev. is in Mission, KS which is a suburb of Kansas City. I checked my records, and the '70 Yenko Nova was actually sold out of Branine Chev. in Mulvane, KS which is a suburb of Wichata. I believe the two were associated.
M

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-26-2001, 08:30 PM
Van Chev sold a Lemans Blue, Rallye Green, and an Olympic Gold '69 Yenko Camaro. They also sold a Butternut Yellow Yenko Chevelle.
M

gambitti
02-26-2001, 09:20 PM
I'm going to run over to Madison this weekend and see if they have anything in their old newspapers. I was wondering if anyone could tell me when they think Hults (Thorstad)Chev would have recieved their cars in 69 & 70. As soon as I can get the Broadway Chev Yenko info scanned in(Sorry Computer stupid!) I'll see what I can do about posting it. Marlin, maybe I can just e-mail to you.You seem to know how to post things quite well.

bkhpah
02-26-2001, 09:49 PM
I am interested in some Broadway items. The rallye green Yenko we did is from there..BKH

Chevy454
02-26-2001, 10:39 PM
M:

Thanks for the info. I did a little research on Van Chevrolet soon after I bought my LS-6 (which was also sold there!), but I don't have any of the paper work, and for some odd reason, I seemed to think that "Van T" and "Van" Chevrolet were different. Obviously, I was wrong. But, we still need an emblem to go on out Nova!

Belair62
02-27-2001, 12:09 AM
Since we are on the emblem/sticker subject....does anyone know where I can find a V.V. Cook emblem/sticker or even know what it looks like ?

COPO
02-27-2001, 12:34 AM
My LS-6 Convertible also came from Van Chevrolet. They were in Shawnee Mission, KS which is a suburb of Kansas City. Van Chev. was in Zone 5, Dealer #885 The original owner of my car still lives close to the dealership just across the line in MO. I'd sure like to have a Van Chevrolet emblem as well for my trunk lid.

[Edited by COPO (02-26-2001 at 07:34 PM).]

gambitti
02-27-2001, 11:28 AM
I have two different types of Broadway Chev badges. I was told that the 1969 cars received the diecast badge while the 70's got plastic badges that were taped on. I think Broadway became a higher volume dealer in 70 and the plastic badges were cheaper. I know that Broadway sold two deuces a forest green one that has been found,and a Cortez Silver car that is still missing. I heard reports that this car somehow made it out Washington state. does anyone have any info on this car?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-27-2001, 02:26 PM
Gambitti;
Thorstad, (Hult), Chev. received at least two '70 Yenko Novas. One was Citrus Green, and the other was Sunflower Yellow, both were 4speeds and both have been found. These two cars were ordered by Thorstad on July 6, 1970 and were delivered on July 9, 1970.

As for Broadway, I know that the Forest Green Yenko Nova was YS-001. The cars appear to have received their stock numbers when they were shipped, not when they were built because this car was not the first car built, it was actually the 34th car built. Based on this stock number, it looks like Broadway was one of the first dealerships to receive these cars. I have also heard rumors about the silver car being in Washington, but have not been able to turn anything up. One of the Grossman Chev. silver cars ended up out there, it is now in Iowa.
M

[Edited by YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY (02-27-2001 at 09:26 AM).]

A69COPO2
02-27-2001, 11:09 PM
Belair62, I just looked at the wrecked 1969 Red Yenko Chevelle, that was sold new, at V.V.Cook Chevy, it doesn't have any dealer ID Badge. Not saying they didn't use one, was just see if I could help you out. http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/smile.gif

Belair62
02-28-2001, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the info. Some of the Super Cars at Vettefest had the original dealer emblems on them. Would love to find one from VV Cook if they even used one.Anyone out west heard of Jack Head Chevrolet in Alhambra California ? Would like to find something from them too. I have seen a guy at local swap meet that has a lot of badges. He will probably be at Vettefest again. He has mostly midwest and some southern dealer badges. I'll see what I can dig up.

tmilecki
02-28-2001, 03:01 AM
I was planing on attending the show also. Im looking for Nickey badges. any ideas.

copo69
02-28-2001, 03:34 AM
I'd like to find an emblem from Ed Stinn Chevrolet in Cleveland, Oh.

tmilecki
02-28-2001, 03:56 AM
I will keep my eyes open.

Steven J
02-28-2001, 11:57 AM
Someone has reproduced the Nickey dealer stickers. I've seen a vendor selling them at Chicago area swap meets.

Steven J
02-28-2001, 12:00 PM
Someone has reproduced the Nickey dealer stickers. I've seen a vendor selling them at Chicago area swap meets.

tmilecki
02-28-2001, 12:03 PM
I have seen them in the past also, schould have bought them when i had the chance. I am also looking for Celozze & Etelson badging. I
know that dealership changed hands recently. They had a lot of cool stuff in their.

COPO
02-28-2001, 09:58 PM
tmilecki,

Most of the Camaro suppliers sell the Nickey emblems. I know they are shown in the Classic Camaro catalog.

Chevy454
02-28-2001, 10:13 PM
I would bet big $$$ that Tim LaPotta has the Nickey emblems/badges you are looking for, along with some other cool stuff.

68l30
03-01-2001, 03:32 AM
copo69, I may be able to help you with that one.I have access to the stickers on the rear of the car circa 1969,and have a friend who has a lot of Ed Stinn stuff.There were quite a few COPO's sold out of there and recently heard of a service tech (mech.)who raced one locally.I believe "Big Ed" is still hiding from the mob.

Steve

[Edited by 68l30 (02-28-2001 at 10:32 PM).]

copo69
03-01-2001, 04:24 AM
Steve, I'd be interested in any info or items from Ed Stinn. Any ads pertaining to COPO cars? I thought for a couple of years that my car came from Ben Lupe Chevy in Avon Lake as it was traded in for an Impala when it was a month old. I was able to get some documentation from them. I finally tracked the orginal owner down. The Camaro was bought by this guy just back from Viet Nam who got tired of it after a month. When I finally ran this orginal owner down he told me he had bought it at Ed Stinn. I called Stinn and asked for the finance dept. because that's where if anyone has any info it can usually be found. It was kinda strange because these people wanted to know why I was calling and asked other questions that you wouldn't normally be asked calling a Chevy dealership. They then told me the dealership was in the process of closing and they couldn't help me. Later found out Ed had some gambling problems and FBI was involved. This all happened several years ago.

Denis
03-01-2001, 04:32 AM
Anyone have anything from Jay Kline Chevrolet?

bkhpah
03-01-2001, 11:47 AM
We are looking for Prout Chevrolet dealer emblems and memorabilia as well. We have a double COPO Camaro from there. Any leads would be helpful....BKH

Rowdy Rat
03-01-2001, 12:50 PM
Prout Chevrolet in Elyria, OH and Ed Stinn Chevrolet were both located on Center Ridge Road (about 10 miles or so from each other) in 1969. Both sold a fair number of COPO Camaros and I know that Prout sold at least one COPO Chevelle. From what I've learned, there seems to have been quite a few COPO cars that went to the Cleveland, OH area.

copo69,

I believe I have a copy of a 1969 newspaper advertisement for the Ed Stinn cars. Nothing fancy, just a couple lines in the "For Sale" section of the Cleveland Plain Dealer mentioning the 427 Camaros. I'll check my records this evening; if I still have it, you're welcome to a copy.

Regards,

Stan Falenski

bowtie3168
03-01-2001, 02:57 PM
Denis,
I think that my buddy Marty Iten's family might have bought what once was Jay Kline Chevrolet (if it was in the Minneapolis area). Can you send me their address so that I can compare?

Andrew

gambitti
03-01-2001, 03:02 PM
Marlin , I'm still trying to get the broadway info scanned in. Don't give up on me! I can't seem to get it attached to my e-mail so I can send it to you. I'm getting someone to help me tonight. THANKS

68l30
03-01-2001, 03:02 PM
Stan,I also found the ads for Ed Stinn in a July 21 Plain Dealer & Cleveland Press(both for the Apollo moon walk) both advertising the new 427 cars.I also found a dealer badge from Prout,not the trout,but have been unsuccessful in getting it so far.It is located on a POS 73 Chevelle an the owner won't return my message,I even told him I would gladly pay for his troubles.

Copo69, I'll see if I can get a scan of the Ed Stinn sticker.It's a nice piece with Ed's head and a blue bow tie.Two years ago (?) the dealer closed for good and was later burned by vandels.A real good friend of mine was inside shortly after and searched the building for any remaining documents and memerobilia.He did find some info on 70's and 80's vech. but nothing exciting.As for Ed's gambling,he was known to lose the payroll a number of times according to severel of his employes.Talk about a positive work place on payday!!!!

Steve

[Edited by 68l30 (03-01-2001 at 10:02 AM).]

68l30
03-01-2001, 03:07 PM
Since were on the dealer subject,anyone have any thing from Roger Dean Chevrolet in Charleston WV.I know they were a large Corvette dealer in Wv.,but I don't believe they sold any supercars.I'm looking for a dealer badge(metal)or a plate frame.Thanks!

Steve

68l30
03-01-2001, 03:11 PM
Sorry

[Edited by 68l30 (03-01-2001 at 10:11 AM).]

copo69
03-01-2001, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the Ed Stinn info... look forward to your scans.

Steve, I'm close to Charleston where Roger Dean was located. I remember lots of muscle Chevys at the time with Dean emblems. They sold 2 COPO Camaros that I know of. Both were silver, 4 speed cars and sold early. One went to Jim Minnick who was a former gas dragster national champ and had a large local speed shop. Car became a Pro Stocker but no one seems to know what happened to it. The other car was purchased and driven on the street. I started getting info on these cars and ran across it in early 1980 for sale. At the time knowledge of these cars was real fuzzy. I called lots of people but little knowledge was turned up. The guy wanted $3500. for the car but had it not turned out to be legit would have been an old Camaro worth less than half that amount. I went home to sleep on it and decided to take a chance. I called the guy to take the car and was informed he just sold it to an eighteen year old kid. The protecto plate was with the car and I had copied all the info and eventually ran down the original owner. It was legit. I tried to contact the buyer but he was now in the army and his dad told me he'd never sell that car. Only saw it one other time.... a couple of years later, met it blasting off from a stop light with smoke bellowing from the exhaust and kinda beat up. I guess it was just a hot rod to the kid. Thats my fishing story. There were several COPO Camaros in this area. I remeber a few years ago there were 5 here in a 25 mile radius. While that may not seem significant to some of you this is a sparsley populated area. One of them had a Olds motor in it hooked to the gooseneck radiator. Greg

Fhakya
03-01-2001, 06:42 PM
I've got a set of the Nickey Stickers for sale if anyone wants 'em, feel free to e-mail me. This link should work
http://wsacp.auctionwatch.com/my/acp/display.html?rcmd=cmd_add_attach&f=Nickeystickers.jpg&rp=1&npp=20

-Mark

68l30
03-01-2001, 08:39 PM
Greg,I'll get the decals tonight from a friend and scan them ASAP.Thanks for the info on R.Dean.I figured more came out of there besides a lot of Vettes,I had hoped there were Copos.Any leads on a dealer tag?Thanks!

Steve

Denis
03-02-2001, 03:11 AM
Andrew,

The original address for Jay Kline Chevrolet (i.e. circa '67) was

1221 West Lake Street
Minneapolis, Minnesota

Thanks for the help!

- Denis

mnyenko
03-03-2001, 01:55 AM
Andrew- Jay Kline Chevrolet went out of business around 1985.The city bought the dealership for for cop car repairs.They sold Yenkos in 67 and 68.I owned a 68 from Kline.Yenko moved to Grossman chev on east lake street in for 69 and 70.Kline had a seperate performance car showfloor on west lake st.Those were the good ole days.

earntaz
11-16-2011, 09:28 PM
I think that is the Cortez Silver Yenko I owned back in the 80's. I was the second owner -- bought it at a Chev dealership in Green Bay used with low mileage. The car had some body damage and was then customized (I will say I did not have a clue what the car was worth at that time) with flared fenders and painted stripes. It had a BBC at that time. I sold the car to a Navy veteran by the name of Jim Sanders. He took the car to Coupesville, Wa (sp). I lost contact with him. Later I REC a call from a person who said he bought it and needed info on the car. I told him I would call him back -- but missplaced his phone number. Never heard from him again. If there are any questions on this car you can contact me a [email protected]. Craig Holly

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
11-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the additional insight Craig.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Craig dug out some classic pic's of this Deuce! Many of us in the Deuce community have heard the stories of this car - flared fenders and all, but never laid eyes on a picture. From what we have heard this car is still alive and well, and is likely still in IMSA condition!

Special thanks to Craig, enjoy the pics and the commentary:

"the car was purchased at Broadway Chevrolet in late 71’, early 72’ … I was the second owner. The story I got from the salesman at Broadway it was purchased by a gentleman for his son and the kid picked up five tickets … time to get rid of Deuce! The before pictures were taken around 74’ 75’ and the paint was done during the winter of 77’ 78’ in Rantoul, Ill. The car was then sold/traded to a Navy Master Chief by the name of Jim Sanders (Got 2 55’ Chevys + cash) and the last I heard the car was in Coupeville, Washington. That poor old Deuce was “hit” a number of times … all pretty minor damage. The left front fender, grill, bumper, etc. were replaced after someone hit it while sitting in front of the house ... notice some pictures it is up in the yard out of harm’s way. It was “backed” into no less than three times – LH door, LH & RH quarter panels … UGH!! I bolted in a Vette’ 427 with 3X2 carbs and not knowing at that time what it was worth or how rare they were I decided to “customize” it with flares, paint, suspension, etc."

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h68/aacorp/70YenkoCraigsSilver7.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h68/aacorp/70YenkoCraigsSilver6.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h68/aacorp/70YenkoCraigsSilver5.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h68/aacorp/70YenkoCraigsSilver8.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h68/aacorp/70YenkoCraigsSilver4.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h68/aacorp/70YenkoCraigsSilver3.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h68/aacorp/70YenkoCraigsSilver2.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h68/aacorp/70YenkoCraigsSilver1.jpg

Xplantdad
01-06-2012, 02:14 AM
Those are cool pics for sure!

earntaz
01-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Marlin -- pictures didn't turn out too bad ... maybe someone has seen the old Deuce out there in the left coast somewhere! I have a question for the many Deuce experts here -- who makes the best quality graphics (body decals) for the Yenko Deuce now? Appreciate the assist ...

Craig