PDA

View Full Version : Super Chevy Indy

T Billigen
03-09-2001, 12:03 AM
Roger Gustin and Super Chevy have expressed an interest in showcasing "SuperCars" in conjunction with their GM display at Super Chevy Indy -- Raceway Park -- July 13,14,15

The display will be in the concourse area (courtyard)located behind the stands. This is a non-judged event.

I still have a few openings and if anyone would be interested in displaying their SuperCar please contact me via e-mail.

Finally, we should all view this as a great opportunity to get our cars the exposure and recognition they have long deserved by both the general public and Super Chevy. We all have our "horror stories" to tell in regards to Super Chevy shows however....this opportunity should be viewed as a positive step in the right direction.

03-09-2001, 01:18 AM
I to had a bad experience at the SC show in Joliet,IL. I was put in the street class because all yenkos are modified. True to an extent, but unfair for an original yenko. But time heals all wounds. Just because it sucked last time doesn't mean it will this time. Anymore I go to shows and do not even enter the car. Some of us need to relax a bit and go to shows for fun, not to be recognized because we own a Yenko. When you own a Yenko, that is your trophy, regardless of condition. We cannot "ban" all shows because of a bad experience, or we aren't pampered, etc. If someone wants recognition for a superior restoration, etc., then they should go to the camaro nationals, nova nationals, chevelle nationals, etc. , certainly not SC. To be truthful, if you don't have a good time it's your own fault, not the shows. You are free to leave at any time. It would be a slap in the face to "diss" them at this point. After all, I have seen numerous Yenko articles in SC. Being a non-judged event, in the company of other supercar owners, and showcasing the cars, leaves little excuse for not being there. See you there Tom.

T Billigen
03-09-2001, 01:19 AM
To reiterate "this is not a judged showcase".
It is display only and there is no charge to the participants. They will receive VIP passes for the whole weekend among other perks.
Like I mentioned...."Horror stories"? Not the issue here.

T Billigen
03-09-2001, 01:22 AM
Thanks Dave! I could not have said it better myself. That's the spirit we need representing these SuperCars.

copo69
03-09-2001, 01:24 AM
I had a car on the concourse a few years ago when Brian Caudell put the show together. The people we met really enjoyed the cars but the Super Chevy people were a pain. Every time we turned around someone was telling us to move the trailer or we were blocked in by food vendors. Organization was non existent. I met a guy with a ZL1 who invited us to park by him at the end of the vendors row. The next morning we arrive to find a guy in a yellow Super Chevy shirt telling us to move the trailer. I told him the fellow beside us had invited us to park with him and he told me that fellow would have to pay a $400. vendor fee to park there. I told him give us 20 minutes and we wouldn't bother anyone else the rest of the weekend.... we'd hit the road. Sad thing was you could've parked 50 trailers there and not affected show space. He stepped up to the trailer and asked what kind of car it was. I told him a '69 copo Camaro and he said "what's that?" We hit the road. I thought the idea for this type of show was great and the caliber of cars was top shelf. The crowd seemed to really enjoy this but the Super Chevy people acted as if they could care less. I've been to a few Super Chevys and always felt like their profit was their main concern and the heck with participants. I've always felt that the Chevy guys should have a venue like the Mopar Nationals but obviously Super Chevy isn't it. I think that if someone like Doug Marion had remained the shows might have evolved into something like the Mopar Nats.

Belair62
03-09-2001, 01:29 AM
Tom,my problem is I don't have a darn trailer. I know time is short ,wish I could commit but I can't right now.I hope the SC show turns out well. At Vettefest I saw a lot of guys showing their kids what a Supercar was for the first time.My son looked,smiled and pointed to the diecast car he wanted.He may need a few more years to appreciate them!I hope they have a Supercar Showcase every year. I bet it was a shot in the arm for them and thats good.I don't go to many shows out of my area but Vettefest was the first time I can recall seeing more than 1 Yenko,COPO etc in a long long time.We have to get these cars out there.Charley..my birthday is in August...send me a trailer.

Charley Lillard
03-09-2001, 02:37 AM
I'll send you a Volkswagon.

Mr Yenko
03-09-2001, 04:05 PM
I to have seen the SC shows going down hill for many years. My family and I have been showing our cars at Maple Grove since they statered there. We have become VERY discusted in how we have been treated, and refuse to take any of our cars back. We use to like seeing the correctness of the cars. They could careless if your car has all the correct GM trim . Like mouldings and weather striping. They would rather see there REPOP JUNK on these cars. R.I.P. SCS http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/frown.gif

68l30
03-09-2001, 09:06 PM
SC won't let me sell NOS parts in the swap meet.They want me to spend a bazillon dollars in order to do so, to buy "the right " spot.I think in order to bring my Camaro to Norwalk I'll need....BFG tires,Soft seal weatherstrip,Trim Parts trim,PUI interior,ect,ect,ect.Na,they don't care about makin' money!

Do I have time for a flame job and wheel tubs?

To each his own,but, It's not for me.

Steve

Belair62
03-09-2001, 11:42 PM
Maybe it's me but I think we are missing the point here. It's a car show....I am sure it's big bucks to put on a show so of course they pump up the sponsors...it's a business now too.Do the math...if they catered to only Supercars it would be a pretty small show.If there was no re-pop junk as it was called,there would only be a handful of complete cars if any!Are there any cars out there with NOS Yenko stripes ? If you do you're lucky. I'll bet most people don't care if the car has the right amount and correct color glue dripping off the weatherstripping in the correct place.They go to see the cars.It's not Pebble Beach...Just my opinion.

rbernat
03-10-2001, 01:27 AM
andrew,
just looked at my englishtown raceway calendar of events.its slowly turning into import/lowrider based shows.ive been to the super chevy shows at englishtown and have even won editors choice but they placed my biscayne in the street class because of the motion modifications.not good.they were not receptive in creating a dealer modified class even though there were quite a few of them in the show.judging is not important to me but grouping our cars together instead of body style is a step in the right direction.
rich

Chevy454
03-10-2001, 02:16 AM
When we attended the SC show in Memphis right after we got our Camaro together ('97), they placed us in the "Conversion" class...the same class as the '94-6 Impalas, the then "new" SS Camaros, and Choo Choo Conversion trucks. There was another COPO Camaro there, and some real nice Chevelles, but none of them returned the next year.

Belair62
03-10-2001, 02:33 AM
Well I have to admit....the Choo Choo truck IS going a bit too far ! Maybe someone needs to have a talk with these folks to help them get back to their roots. What the hell is a Choo Choo truck anyway ?

[Edited by Belair62 (03-09-2001 at 09:33 PM).]

bkhpah
03-10-2001, 02:39 AM
We displayed a COPO and a 69 Yenko at Indy a few years ago. We felt that it would be a fun time being that they are always saying that this is the grandaddy of all SC shows. We had a ton of people enjoy the cars, but the SC staff ignored the cars and did not even judge the cars on Saturday. When we asked if they would judge the cars they sort of gave us the cold shoulder and sent a person over that could have cared less. We did not have any sofseal, diehard batterys, BFG's or Summit speed stuff on the cars and were not considered for anything. I do not care about trophys but we had cars that were competitive in that show. We received nothing that weekend. Gustin told us that he did not have an experienced staff to judge correct restorations. I felt that for the amount of money it costs to show at an SC event that qualified judges should be no problem. He told me that he could not afford it! Every other time we have shown a Yenko at SC we have been put in classes that are really not for us. Until Gustin changes his ways we will stay at home. I am sure nobody cares about this rant, but I will go were the real enthusiasts are. Clary is right. everytime a big show needs a shot in the arm they want the Super Cars. Ask the guys that were at Indy over ten years ago with the special Super Car display. I doubt if you will get a favorable response...BKH

[Edited by bkhpah (03-09-2001 at 09:39 PM).]

Chevy454
03-10-2001, 02:52 AM
"Choo Choo Customs" ( http://www.choochoocustoms.com/ ) was BIG into doig truck, van, and El Camino conversions, and also sell parts like spoilers, bed caps, running boards, etc. They used to have an ad towards the back of Super Chevy...it was really small, you had to look real close to see it.

Belair62
03-10-2001, 02:58 AM
Please tell me you at least won your class !If not I'm going to make a low-rider out of my car and sell it to Charley.

bowtie3168
03-10-2001, 05:35 AM
I understand what Tom is trying to do but I have to agree with Brian. For years we had a Super Chevy Show at Raceway Park (Englishtown) and finally got rid of it. My boss said that many people were turned off by the formula cars (cars loaded with products that the SCS promotes). The show was always a loser financially for RP, and if it does not work 40 miles from NYC it makes you wonder a bit. P.S. I went to Indy last summer in July, WOW was it beyond hot!
Andrew

sYc
03-10-2001, 09:35 PM
Yes, we did win our class, conversion, but was told by the staff that our 1969 Yenko Camaro was not eligible for "Best Camaro", as our car was a Yenko, NOT a Camaro! Tom
P.S. I have not been to another SC event.

rocketchvy
03-10-2001, 10:42 PM
They put you in the same calss as a CHOO CHOO...That should have been an easy win..ALL they do is glue one or screw on wood.(using screws that stick an inch and a half too long)...Would have been a sad day for sure!

Dwayne
P.s they are no longer in business.

Charley Lillard
03-10-2001, 11:03 PM
Bob...Your car is already a Low Rider, that's why i want it.

Belair62
03-11-2001, 12:04 AM
Kind of strange for someone to tell you its a Yenko but not a Camaro...I would imagine you were scratching your heads over that one !

03-11-2001, 03:03 PM
I've heard, and have been part of, the debate over SC's classification of cars from a number of people. My feeling is that a Yenko, Motion, Nickey, etc. are not a stock class car. A COPO yes. I would venture to guess that most of us would agree that a motion car is far from stock. Just because one is "more" factory original than another, doesn't make it the way it left the factory. I wouldn't be to happy if I owned a bone stock LS-6 chevelle, and a Yenko chevelle was in my class. Face it, "original" is the way it left the factory, not the dealership. Modified cars are exactly what they are called. Maybe there would be a classification if enough owners would take their cars to these shows. My opinion is do not judge these cars, just showcase them, simply because no one is qualified. And by the way, there are "real enthusiasts" outside this small circle, they just don't have the funds to buy what they want.

Belair62
03-11-2001, 03:26 PM
Great response Yenko !

James Berry
03-11-2001, 06:34 PM
definition; re-store (re*stor'), To bring back to, or put back into, the former or original state. (and then burn the tires off of it).
One of my 1963 Z06 Corvettes, is in its race prepared package. I think this is one of its former states in history, thus restored.
The Yenko's had a GM copo number (9737), for the modifications. This means GM intended these cars to be final prepared as they were, in all of its circus wear RESTORED.
Just my opinion. http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/burnout.gif

bowtie3168
03-12-2001, 03:00 PM
Rich,
You are correct, the calendar at RP does look like a "Low Rider" club schedule! In the past few years the money has been found to be with the import kids. They show up in droves and spend money like it is burning a hole in their pockets. Some of the "standby shows" have had some poor showings and they have been neglected. With the advent of "Cruise Nights" and competition from other shows the market has been diluted. I would love to have a good Muscle Car show. I am trying to get events like "Chevelle Day" to be more than just a 20 car show, but it will take time. I hope to meet you there soon.
Andrew

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
03-12-2001, 03:45 PM
Tom;
I know you are trying to do a good thing for all of us, but I have to stand with Brian on this one!

After years of faithful attendance, I am just tired of SC-Gustin Enterprises and their greed. I won't go into my 'horror stories'.

I am just finishing up a 5.5 year restoration and like Belair62, I don't have a truck or a trailer, and therefore I can only attend shows that are close to me. I won't go out of my way for an SC event, (although if you see me at the Maple Grove event it is because it is only 20 minutes away. I won't get it judged because I don't want to deal with the staff any more than I have to - I will only go to see friends and talk to curious spectators).

I will however, make every effort to attend the 'small', but focused, SuperCar Reunion, or Pure Stock Drags - with or without a car!!

Thanks,
Marlin

sYc
03-12-2001, 03:55 PM
As per SC shows, here are the thoughts of the sYc. The reason for the annual Supercar Reunion is due to the inferior treatment MANY of us received at various major car shows, including the SC shows. We at the sYc have been contacted by most of the larger shows, including SC (Indy), in hopes that we would hold our reunion at their show. We have declined most offers, including SC. Anytime we are contacted about participating and/or endorsing a show, there are several things we look at. If we do not think that the supercars well be treated in the manner they deserve, then we do not endorse a show. I realize that the sYc does not control the supercar world, and owners can do what they want. But please consider this. If we owners stick together and as a group, only support the shows who appreciate our cars and the efforts involved to show them, then we can force other shows to do the same. If we splinter off and show anytime invited, reguardless of how we are treated, then the future will be no different then the past. As a group we can make a difference. And yes, there are several good shows out there, including the recent Vettefest, the Gibb reunion, and the annual Supercar Reunion. In closing, SC has had many chances to change, as several of us have expressed our concerns to them, but we always recieve the same empty promises. In closing, the sYc will not endorse any SC event until we are assured that things are different and the supercars will recieve the respect they deserve. Other shows do it, so why not SC? Tom

bowtie3168
03-12-2001, 04:12 PM
I agree with sYc totally on this. Super Chevy Show, no thanks.

Belair62
03-12-2001, 09:22 PM
SYC....what were your thoughts on Vettefest ? It seemed they really tried to do a good Showcase for the cars. While I was not in the Supercar Showcase I felt they put forth a good effort(the donuts were good!). Your thoughts about owners sticking together puts the whole discussion of shows in a different light. Do you have any plan to promote or utilize this group of owners in the future ? If this has been discussed previously,bear with me.

sYc
03-13-2001, 02:19 AM
Belair62; I had hoped to attend the recent Vettefest, but was unable due to work. I did however provide a list of names of supercar owners to one of the organizers to help boost attendance. I heard it was a nice event, with one of the sYc's members(Larry C.) taking home one of the top awards. We have done a couple of things to unite supercar owners. One is the annual supercar reunion, an event for supercars that features a non-judged show, cruise AND drag racing. Two, is a newsletter that we use to keep supercar owners/enthusiants up to date on supercar happenings. The third, and most important AND powerfull, is this webpage. Most owners and enthusiants of supercars follow this web page. Here we compare notes on many things, including which shows we like and which ones we do not. A bad experience, such as SC, can really hurt a show's chances of drawing supercars. On the other hand, treat us right and see what happens. It really does not take much to please us, a little respect goes a long ways. Tom

Belair62
03-13-2001, 03:07 AM
Thanks for the response Tom. Makes sense. The give and take on this board is a good way to get ideas,thoughts,opinions and knowledge . Looks like everyone keeps an open mind on matters.