PDA

View Full Version : Close call for the Blue Deuce!!

NWYENKO
03-15-2001, 08:29 PM
The Deuce was on its way to our house day before yesterday,crossing the Narrows Bridge (80000 cars per day) at about 12:30 when a guy towing half of one of those double wides caught a cross wind of about 55 mph and blew over. My car was in the hauler about 5 vehicles back. It took me 2 1/2 hours to go the 8 miles home. After the hauler left my house he had to reverse his trip back across the bridge in the bad traffic. Wow!! At least the car got here in one piece.

bowtie3168
03-16-2001, 06:58 PM
Jim,
Glad to hear it got there safe! At least you did not try to send it over the old bridge! What kind of wind speeds do you get over that bridge?
Andrew

Denis
03-17-2001, 06:50 AM
Andrew, that bridge is the same one that is shown in engineering classes, twisting like a piece of taffy in the wind and flipping cars over its side like Galloping Gertie.

The currents below it are even worse. I wrecked two boats within a half mile of that thing.

NWYENKO
03-17-2001, 01:43 PM
You got that right, I am not sure if a jumper has ever survived. 7-9 knot currents. As a matter of fact I ended up stopped up in the middle while wating for the mobile home to be removed and the winds were really rocking my 3/4 ton truck. It is not a fun place to park!!! There must be something about Deuces, I was driving the red one when the earthquake hit and to have a close call with the blue one. Main thing all worked out fine!!! It was amazing that no other vehicle was involved when the guy lost the mobile home.

Belair62
03-17-2001, 02:40 PM
That must be the most famous engineering footage of bad bridge design . I think there is a 54 Chevy on that bridge when it was doing the hula !You guys should try the Dan Ryan expressway in Chicago at rush hour !! Or any other time of the day for that matter.It's not the wind that we worry about.It's small arms fire !

[Edited by Belair62 (03-17-2001 at 09:40 AM).]

Charley Lillard
03-17-2001, 06:13 PM
Maybe the Small Arms fire is because you are driving that Low Rider. http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/burnout.gif

Denis
03-17-2001, 06:17 PM
... or maybe that lowrider is just backfiring... http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/burnout.gif