PDA

View Full Version : 8800 Mile L-89 Chevelle In Muscle Car Review

70 copo
04-24-2001, 02:08 AM
Just got my copy of Muscle car review, Realy cool aluminum head Chevelle on page 72. Could have sworn that I looked at this car at Chevy Vettefest two years ago but it was stock in appearance. I mean really stock-wheel off/brake display NOS parts quality. These cars are so rare it would be hard to believe there are two like this one. Any one know the story? Same car?

04-24-2001, 02:43 AM
Didn't that car at Vettefest have a red interior? My memory isn't the best but I believe that the one at Vettefest was the same one at Cobo Hall for the Autorama in 1999 as it was an L89 car that displayed with the wheels off and was perfect. For some reason I thought that car(s) had a red interior. Who knows, all of them are super nice. I am just glad I am not the only one going back with "period correct" speed parts instead of stock parts. Love those Cragar SS wheels!....RatPack..........

micky69396
04-24-2001, 03:23 AM
Jeez Phil, you should know since you put all the "correct" parts on it for Vettefest back then.

Chevy454
04-24-2001, 04:25 AM
Well, since it was Hassett's car, why don't we ask him! Is he a member of the board?

Maybe I can send him an email and "alert" him of this thread...

Fhakya
04-24-2001, 06:37 AM
It wasn't a black or dark blue LS-6 ragtop was it? I seem to recall an alum. head'ed LS-6 ragtop as a part of one of the 'big' collections (Floyd Garrett etc). The car I'm thinking about had stripe delete, and L-89 heads on an LS-6. I also seem to recall that it has an air cleaner elbow that went to the firewall...ala early Z-28. Anyone remember or know about this car?

-Mark

bkhpah
04-24-2001, 11:34 AM
I knew it was the same car from vette fest and I didn't lay a hand on it..BKH

whitetop
04-24-2001, 01:12 PM
Rat Pack
The car in MCR sat "right" too. I don't like the stock "tail draggin" look. Now if Mark would add some period Sun gauges, M/T or Cal Custom finned valve covers, headers , Lakewood bars etc.- The car would be just right -just how I remember them. Finally I would add some L-60-15 bias plys on the rear instead of the skinny H-70's currently on the car. Anything is better than stock wheels though!!
whitetop

04-24-2001, 03:40 PM
Doesn't matter which car it is, or was, but it is just BAD! Wish it was mine......RatPack....

mhassett
04-25-2001, 12:27 AM
I really appreciate all the good comments and interest in my L-89 Chevelle but most of the Credit goes to Mickey Hale, Phil Borris, and others that worked on the car. When I decided to bring my Chevelle to the Vettefest I didn't realize that the only Gold Spinner Class was stock. So I had to change the wheels, shifter and control arms. It was Show-Cased in Chevrolet Bow Tie Boulevard, along with 5 or 6 others. I prefer the car the way it came 30 years ago, sitting high and with the deep dish Cragars. The pictures in Muscle Car Review were taken in Shamberg, Illinois at the Chevelle Convention. I did not attend the show at Copo Hall, must have been another Chevelle.

BUIZILLA
05-05-2001, 12:00 PM
How does one document an L89 Chevelle car without a build sheet?

What letters should appear on the block stamping and what block casting should it be ?

thanx, Jim

70 copo
05-12-2001, 04:12 AM
Mark has a photo of the engine of the car taken when the car was new. This dated kodak photo clearly shows the heads. The car is the real deal.

Ryan1969Chevelle
12-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Hi all,

I would love to see this car sometime, does it come out of hiding?

Ryan

1967 Impala
12-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Almost as much as this thread <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif