PDA

View Full Version : Daytona Yellow

COPO PETE
05-09-2001, 11:56 AM
What's the correct answer. My COPO Chevelle has the -- paint code. It came Daytona Yellow and is documented by GM of Canada as such. I read once where Daytona Yellow was available only on the SS Chevelles in 69 but not the non SS cars. Is this why my car has the -- on the tag? Was Daytona Yellow available on SS cars? Has anyone else ever seen a Daytona Yellow COPO Chevelle, or is mine the only one?
Peter

bkhpah
05-09-2001, 12:38 PM
There were COPO Yenko Chevelles in Daytona Yellow...BKH

COPO PETE
05-09-2001, 12:46 PM
Thank's Brian. What is the paint code shown on the fire wall tag of these cars.
Peter

JoeC
05-09-2001, 02:30 PM
Monaco Orange and Daytona Yellow were special order additional cost colors for the Chevelle in 69 and only available with the SS according to GM literature. Most of the Monaco Orange and Daytona Yellow SS cars that I have seen have the paint number code on the trim tag. I assume your car does not have a vinyl top and that is why it would have two dashes for upper and lower body. A vinyl top car could have one dash and a "B" for black vinyl top.
From what I understand, in 69 almost any car could have been ordered with almost any color using the COPO system. I have heard of Chevelles with the dash on the tag that came Carolina Blue to NC dealers and other dealers ordered the Pontiac color Verdoro Green. I believe the way it worked was a dealer could request a special color through the COPO process and this car would get the dash and no paint code number then would have special COPO paperwork to instruct the paint dept. So a Chevelle with a dash tag could be a "COPO" Chevelle but not a 427 COPO. I guess that since the 427 COPO Chevelle was not an SS it also needed the COPO paperwork to get the special paint. (I am making an assumption here.) This would mean that a Monaco Orange or Daytona Yellow COPO Chevelle would be a double COPO and a Monaco Orange or Daytona Yellow Yenko Chevelle would be a triple COPO because of the 427, the special paint, and the additional 9737 Sportscar package to get the 15 inch wheels, suspension, etc.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
05-09-2001, 03:04 PM
Pete;
I only know of one D-Yellow Yenko Chevelle out there, and it is tucked away in another state - never comes out. I do not know what the paint code is on the trim tag. The Monaco Orange Yenko Chevelles have 'Special Paint' and the related price/cost written on the Yenko Inventory Sheets, but I don't think they are '- -' cars. JoeC????
Marlin

[Edited by YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY (05-09-2001 at 10:04 AM).]

Mr70
05-09-2001, 03:27 PM
I have seen two 1970 Chevelle Super Sports painted Daytona Yellow, and Monaco Orange with the -- marks on the cowltag and in box 44 on their buildsheets.But my understanding is in 1969,Monaco Orange-code 72(Hugger Orange on Camaros), and Daytona Yellow-code 76 (Sunflower Yellow in 1970) were standard coded colors for the 69 Camaro's.It was the Chevelles that had to have them special ordered.Has anyone seen a 1969 Camaro or Nova too that had the color code showing on the Cowl tag and or on it's buildsheet?

COPO PETE
05-09-2001, 04:13 PM
In box 44 of my build sheet, there is no --. Those were left blank. Under the st there is a P and under the w is a xx. So am I right in assuming that other than the DY Yenko, we have the only two that came in that colour? And yes, my car does not have a vinyl top.
Peter

Mr70
05-09-2001, 10:55 PM
Pete
My error.I incorrectly described the buildsheet.This car here has the same buildsheet and trim tag format as yours.
I did find a Daytona Yellow 1969 COPO Chevelle on the cover of the June 1989 NCOA Chevelle Report that is owned by a Jay Hughes.The Similarities between your car and his are uncanny.Then when I realized he lives in Puslinch,Ontario,I would assume this is the car you own today.Am I correct?

9566 BA
05-09-2001, 11:52 PM
Pete
I have a 69 manaco orange COPO and in box 44
of the build sheet it is the same as you described a P under the ST and xx under the W and on my cowl tag its --. The info I got from GM of canada said 1001HA-Special Order
and it says it on build sheet under the RPO listings. Hope that helps Jeff

copo9566aa
05-10-2001, 12:15 AM
Hi
The COPO chevelle 9566aa of my friend Stephane is Daytona Yellow and have the two ( -- )on cowl tag.
this car was sold new in Ontario by dealers
#96322-Leftly Automobiles lTD.Rockland,Ontario.

COPO PETE
05-10-2001, 02:29 AM
MR 70, yes this Chevelle used to be owned by Jay. And wow, three Canadian COPO's that are double COPO's. Thanks for the info! By the way, when did GM stop putting the -- on firewall tags for special order paint. The reason I ask is that in the mid 80's, I almost bought a 74 Z28. It was black at the time but I could see traces of yellow in places and when I looked at the tag it had the -- for paint.
Peter

JoeC
05-10-2001, 05:31 AM
Pete - On the build sheet box 44 under LW should be blank and under UP should be blank then the P and XX like you said. Your build sheet sounds correct to me. I don't think anyone knows how many DY COPO Chevelles were built No one even knows how many total COPO Chevelles were built. There is the number 323 being used that is based on engine production but in my opinion it is more like 200 to 230. I can show you my calculation if you like but I dont have it handy right now. I would guess that more then two COPO Chevelles were built Daytona Yellow since it was a popular color.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
05-10-2001, 05:41 AM
Pete;

There were at least six D-Yellow Yenko Chevelles produced, probably more. Two of these were Yenko Demonstrator cars, one was for James Spencer and the other was for Mel Bogus. Three of these six went to various dealers in Wisconsin, while the other three went to Iowa, Illinois, and New York. All six were four speeds without vinyl tops.
Marlin

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
05-17-2001, 08:27 PM
Here is a pic of a Daytona Yellow Yenko Chevelle with a vinyl top on the Yenko carrier truck. I don't know where this car is, or to which dealership this truck was headed. Brian??
M

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=378134&a=2796935&p=48652756&Sequence=0&res=high

JoeC
05-17-2001, 09:05 PM
I believe that load went to Colonial Chevy in Va.

COPO
05-17-2001, 09:49 PM
Any idea how many Yenkos were sold from Colonial?

bkhpah
05-18-2001, 12:16 PM
I think that the cars in question may be enroute to WI. dealers. Didn't Tony T say that Yenko told him that was his car on the truck? or is that another picture I have?..BKH

JoeC
05-18-2001, 02:33 PM
There were some pictures of that truck parked at Colonial but not sure if it is the same load. I heard somewhere that this car carrier rig was so heavy that when they were driving around dropping off the cars they would sometimes come to a bridge where the truck was over the weight limit. Then they would park the truck, unload the Yenkos and drive them the rest of the way to the dealership. Sounds like fun.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
05-18-2001, 03:39 PM
Brian;
I am not sure which photo Tony T. was referring to, but maybe we can compare this pic to the Colonial pic in MCR 4/87 to see the car layout is the same??
M