PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Yunick, R.I.P.

Bob_Core
05-09-2001, 04:34 PM
I just heard that Smokey passed away after a bout with lukiemia.

While this news isn't directly Musclecar related, I think it's safe to say that his work had an impact on everyone who owns one.

I propose that everyone who owns a car powered by a hot small-block Chevy, a Poncho, a Ford Y-block or an Offy fire it up and make some "music" in his honor...

whitetop
05-09-2001, 06:20 PM
I worked for the NMCA back in early '90's when it was owned by Comp Cams/Racing Head Service under the late Ivar Smiltnieks. Ivars himself was one of the most respected engine/head builders in the country and built stuff for many of the top drag racers back in '60's/'70's. Ivars said Smokey was the best and his ideas and theories about engines were so complex(molecular theory type stuff is how Ivars phrased it) that they went right over everyones heads. He said Smokey's intellect was literaly at the proverbial rocket scientist level. I don't believe Smokey had any type of formal education past high school which makes his accomplishments even more outstanding.
whitetop

JoeC
05-09-2001, 07:53 PM
Smokey was one of the greatest in the history of auto racing and engine development. Chevy Engineering used him for many years. There is a web site that claims he had written an autobiography.
http://www.smokeyyunick.com

DarrylD
05-10-2001, 01:11 PM
Best damn garage in heaven!"3" guesses who his driver will be..

whitetop
05-10-2001, 01:42 PM
Click on the above web site and look at Smokey's accomplishments under "Who is Smokey?" Says it all!!
whitetop

JoeC
05-10-2001, 07:03 PM
I have a 13,100KB AVI Video clip I made from a TV show with Smokey in the pits working on his no.13 Camaro in 1968 at a stock car race. I have not found a way to post an AVI. Rob- can you post it on this site? I can reduce the size if that will help.

Mr70
05-10-2001, 10:20 PM
In 1989 the NCOA had our convention show in Winston Salem.Floyd Garrett brought Smokey's No.13 Nascar racer.A car ahead of it's time.Smokey himself was there too.He spoke at two seminars and handed out the trophies at the awards ceremony.What a nice guy. I had him sign my Smokey Yunick Power Secrets book.I video taped him speaking,but I'm sure I taped over it by now.I remember it like was yesterday.