PDA

View Full Version : Yenko Duece

Dan 68 Chevy II
07-07-2001, 12:17 PM
Marlin,Did you smoke the tires leaving Ottsville Pa last nite? I did,couldn't resist,no law enforcement to be found.Nice car and it was nice meeting and talking to you.By the way someone put a note on my Nova's dash to call them about a certain supercar dealer we talked about,did you send them over?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-09-2001, 01:20 PM
Dan;
As much as I wanted to 'leave sideways' from Pryuski's Ice Cream stand on Friday night, my better judgement prevailed. Although I did not see any State Troopers either, my car is pretty fresh out of the wrapper, ie; no license plates, no registration, no insurance, and my wife, (6 months pregnant), was riding next to me. No showing off with that risky combination!! I unloaded/reloaded at the elementary school a couple of hundred yards down the road, and scooted back to Perkasie, PA.

I think the guy who left the note was Paul Tholey, 'pxtx' on this site. He has particular interest in those old Nova's.

I was surprised to see BB members at such a small cruise-in! I was even more surprised that so many people actually knew what a Yenko was. Fun time.
Marlin

68l30
07-09-2001, 04:15 PM
Marlin,shame on you!Insure your car even if it is not to be driven.I hate to preach,but I just witnesssd a 20k 69 Z/28 get hit head on while sitting PARKED in a turning lane waiting for traffic to break.I would hate to see anyone get stuck with a loss for any reason.

Steve

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-09-2001, 06:58 PM
Steve,
I understand your point, and it's a good one. I am in the process of getting the appraisal, then insurance, ect..... I have trailered it to the two events we have attended so far, but I am 'running between the raindrops' so to speak. It wont' come back out until it's insured, tagged, and registered.

I have not been able to resist driving it around the neighborhood a few times, and one good 45 foot burnout - makes up for the 5.5 years of work!!
Thanks, good advice,
Marlin

Kurt S
07-09-2001, 07:46 PM
Even if the car is in a garage, it should have comprehensive on it to cover it if something should happen to the garage.
Heck, my work in progress was in the garage when a hail storm came thru. Major damage to the cars and house. The Camaro was fine, but the comp covered the couple of parts I had sitting outside.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-09-2001, 08:03 PM
Kurt;
I agree, the policy that I'm getting will be a 'stated value' policy, and it requires a licensed appraisal, photos of the car, photos of the garage, ect.... After doing a fair amount of research, and shopping around, I decided to go with Parish Heacock Insurance out of Burns, TN. I'm hoping for a smooth process, all the way to the Antique License Plate from PA - ha!
M

Dan 68 Chevy II
07-09-2001, 11:35 PM
Marlin,
You might want to get a quote from Albright Insurance in Robesonia Pa.They use Hagerty Insurance for classic cars,with no limit on miles you drive. They currently insure my 68 Chevy II Nova ss 396 car that you saw.I gave all the receipts to them and what I paid for the car and they insured for that,no appraisal needed but they would take if you have one.By the way no deductable either.If interested call 610-693-6621 and ask for Jodie,she's who wrote my policy.Get insurance and lay some rubber with your Yenko,they to be cleaned out periodicaly. Happy Motoring

dinograz
07-09-2001, 11:47 PM
Be careful with the "Stated Amount" policy. It's not necessarily what it sounds like. I had a friend who had this type of policy and when a claim came up, the policy small print indicated that 3 sources for values would be used and an average paid out. Definitely read all the small print when insuring your cars. I would suggest getting a "Agreed Value" policy which clearly state that what the agreed insured amount is, is what would get paid out...

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-10-2001, 01:11 PM
Dinograz;
My post reads 'stated value' not 'amount'. A stated amount policy will pay the 'actual cash value' (read 'blue book'!!) in the event of a total loss. A true 'value' policy will pay the 'value' that is 'stated' in the policy, which is backed up by a licensed, independant appraisal. There is an excellent article regarding the types, pros/cons of classic auto insurance written by Terry Shaw that is reprinted in the back of the Year One catalog. Terry was at the Carlisle show, and had a vendor spot for his company, Automotive Legal Service. I'm hoping to get my appraisal done this week, insured by next week, and maybe some plates by month end, (?). See you at the next show Dan.
M

copo69
07-10-2001, 10:23 PM
Agreed value is the contract you should have. Under this contract the insurer is obligated to pay the amount stated in the policy. Stated value contracts obligate the insurer to pay the actual value at time of loss up to the amount stated on the policy. You may not get what you thought you paid for. Most of the specialty insurers write agreed value contracts.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-11-2001, 12:56 PM
COPO69 is correct, the key is a 'value' policy vs. an 'amount' policy. Some policys call it a 'stated' value while others call it 'Agreed' value, from what I understand it's the term 'value' that is important. No luck yet with this process, looks like I'll have the insurance but no tag by the next cruise-in - back on the trailer, no burnouts!
M

copo69
07-11-2001, 02:47 PM
Marlin, Actually the key is agreed vs stated. Stated amount or stated value is the same thing. Agreed amount contracts mean you and the insurer have agreed on the value of the item and that is what they will pay in event of total loss.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-11-2001, 03:45 PM
I am certainly no expert when it comes to insurance, so I can quote from this tech article written by Terry Shaw, Automotive Legal Service, 215-659-4947, Box 626, Dresher, PA 19025.

Terry writes:

"Additional research revealed there are, in fact, two types of stated policies. One is a 'stated amount' policy in which the premium is based on an amount stated by the insured. Losses, however, are still based on the actual cash value (ACV)of the property at the time of loss, but not to exceed the stated amount. To pay the stated amount automatically would create a moral hazard in that policy holders could overvalue their cars, thus making a profit. This is contrary to the basic principle of indemnity which is to restore a person to the position they were in before the loss.

The other is a 'stated value' policy, which is a true 'valued' type of policy where both parties agree, in advance, as to the value of the property. In the event of a total loss, the company will pay the full face value of the policy. It turns out this is an Inland Marine type of policy generally used with works of art, boats, and other marine equipment. There are a few companies, however, that do offer it as an automobile policy. This difference may be the reason for the wide misconceptions about stated value policies. Mr. Flippen, (person in article with total loss, who thought he had a stated value policy, but actually had a stated amount policy), asked eleven different Nationwide agents how the company would settle his stated value policy. None of them corrected him by saying it was actually a stated amount policy, five of them said the company would pay the full stated amount and five of them did not know. Only one actually knew the company would not pay the stated amount in the event of a total loss. He said he chose not to sell that type of policy because the insured pays an additional premium and receives no additional protection. In fact, the insured received less protection. The standard indemnity policy pays the ACV at the time of loss with no limit on the company's liability. The stated amount policy still pays the ACV at the time of the loss, but the company's liablility is limited to the stated amount... The insured pays an additional premium for the 'privilege' of limiting the insurance company's liability."

I have found that my normal auto insurer would offer me a 'stated value' policy, and they knew it was normally for boats, art, ect... but they charged 3x the premium that the classic car insurance company's do.
M

Dan 68 Chevy II
07-11-2001, 11:10 PM
Marlin,
My policy on my 68 Nova ss 396 is listed as a agreed value with Hagerty insurance. Dan

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-31-2001, 08:00 PM
Dan & Paul;
Will you be at the Ottsville show this Friday??
M

PxTx
08-01-2001, 01:46 AM
I think I will go since I just brought my 65 Malibu SS L79 car out of storage. It has been sitting since 1995 (in a barn)and it's pretty dirty. Just for HA HAs I'm putting it in the Glenside PA car show in it's filthy form. Kinda a real life Cars in Barns experience for all to se at the show. next year it'll be cleaned up.

I consider my car a "survivor" since it survived my hot rod days in high school (grad 1993) and with some of it's older pics and stuff I think a bunch of people will get a kick out of it. I sure hope some of my old high school buddies will be at the show!

All are welcome to look for a dirty Artisian Turquoise 65 Malibu. See you there!

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-07-2001, 01:39 PM
Hey;
There will be no show in Ottsville tonight, or next month. Apparently, there were too many people doing burnouts last month, with one car getting way out of shape and almost hitting some spectators. The show has asked the State Police to monitor the event, but they can't catch them all. A bunch of morons have ruined this cruise for the rest of the year, hope it's back for next spring!
M

Belair62
09-07-2001, 10:27 PM
All it takes is a couple of jerkoffs to ruin it for everyone.Too bad.It's usually the hot dogs who can't handle it that do it....

sixtiesmuscle
09-07-2001, 10:49 PM
Are you refering to anybody in particular, BA '62?

Belair62
09-08-2001, 12:16 AM
Don't know anybody out that way.........just a darn shame a good cruise got messed up...Im sure Marlin will take care of them.It happens to a lot of cruise spots....It's always Vinnie in the late model smokin the baloneys ! Kind of like Strats out my way...I stay clear....it's even worse when the guys take over with the gigantic nuclear sized speakers !

Dan 68 Chevy II
09-08-2001, 04:36 PM
Marlin,
I'll take credit for the first time I saw you out there 2 months ago,but you were standing there watching me fire up the Nova the second time and saw me leave very calmly with my long time frend Kenny.The first time though I did nail it makeing a left on 412 North to leave the show and there was nobody around this area where you turn left.One thing I'll never do is smoke the tires with small or large groups of people walking across or standing along the road your on ,that's just plain stupidity.Marlin how many tickets were handed out,notice a lot of cops in the area you had your car parked? What road were they haveing the problem on ,I assume it was the one Pryuski faces since this is where you always see the police.Anyway see ya next year.
Dan

Belair62
09-08-2001, 07:32 PM
Police usually tolerate a little "hazing" of the tires like ChevyII did but when people go nuts and endanger thats when the whole thing goes to hell.Police actually like this stuff sometimes...ever get pulled over so they could just check out your car !!!!

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-10-2001, 02:02 PM
Dan;
The incident that apparently caused the shutdown was not a little burnout upon leaving like you did, but rather a full stage burndown right in front of the ice cream stand - right where my car was parked! This driver didn't get out of it, and started to fishtail out of control. It was a later in the evening, after I had left but you know how the crowd forms, and eggs people on!

I went to a new show yesterday, the 2nd annual Vargo Dragway Rod Run. This was a nice event held on a old dragstrip in Perkasie, PA (shutdown in 1970). Lots of old nostalgia items there, and some decent cars. Nice show, but lots of burnouts upon leaving - hope it's back for next year!!
M