PDA

View Full Version : Wallace Chevrolet Linden NJ

Dan 68 Chevy II
07-17-2001, 04:13 AM
Anybody have imformation or possibly know someone that worked there.They sold Yenko Duece's , did they do any 427 conversions in their cars?

bowtie3168
07-17-2001, 07:14 PM
Dan,
Wallace Chevrolet was about 20 miles northeast of Raceway Park, I bet that the three cars that were sold from there went to RP to race as soon as they were sold. I will ask around for you. Do you have any specific questions that you want me to ask? Let me know. Also if you go on the page that Marlin posted the photos on "Vintage Supercar Photos" you will see a picture of a '70 Yenko in silver that was sold new at Wallace, the original owner races a Super Stock Camaro at RP.

Andrew http://www.yenko.net/ubb/smilies/burnout.gif

[Edited by bowtie3168 (07-17-2001 at 02:14 PM).]

bowtie3168
07-17-2001, 07:17 PM
Mike,
Ok, no prob. I will find out. Did you look at the last two photos that Marlin posted on the "Vintage Supercar Pictures" page? The "Cortez Silver" Wallace Chevrolet Yenko Deuce looks like it might have had an original hood without pins.

Andrew

[Edited by bowtie3168 (07-17-2001 at 02:17 PM).]

MikeA
07-18-2001, 05:06 AM
Andrew:

If you find someone that worked at Wallace Chevrolet please ask them if they installed hood pins on some of their '70 Yenko Deuces.
Thanks

MikeA

Dan 68 Chevy II
07-22-2001, 03:13 AM
Andrew, When did Wallace Chevrolet get started with Yenko and did they ever buy Nickey cars ,Motion or Harrel cars to sell in the northeast? Any old magazine ads or dealer imfo on these cars if Wallace sold them? Dan

bowtie3168
07-24-2001, 03:19 PM
*****************THIS JUST IN!***************
I spoke to the original owner of the Cortez Silver Deuce yesterday and he told me that the many of the Wallace Chevy cars were equipped with "barrel keyed" hood locks to deter theft on the lot. Wallace was located in Linden and Linden is a suburb of Newark. Years ago batteries and engine parts would have fallen prey in an area like Linden.
Hair-pin style locks would probably not been offered at Wallace.
Andrew

bowtie3168
07-24-2001, 08:14 PM
Marlin,
I will check that info out with some of the racers at the track. Malcolm Konner Chevrolet was located in Paramus aka:"the land of many malls". I went there once on a dealer trade when I worked for Circle Chevrolet ( some extra info: Circle Chevrolet located at the time on Maple Ave. Red Bank,New Jersey once sold a 1968 or 1969 L-88 Corvette that was silver? and went to Australia as a race car. The car was featured in "Vette" Magazine a few years ago all restored and back in the USA.) Malcolm Konner was known at that time 1988+ as a premier Corvette dealer, they had a 1953,4 or5 Corvette on the roof of the store. They changed hands a few years ago. I will ask about the missing cars.

Andrew

Kevin, have you ever heard about the L-88 car mentioned above?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-25-2001, 05:12 AM
Several of the Wallace cars that have been located did have the hood locks, but they also didn't have emblems because they couldn't be 'locked' on! One owner supposedly brought his Yenko back in for service only to have several items stolen off of the car - bummer.

Andrew;
The real mystery Deuces in North Jersey are those from Malcom Konners Chev. in Paramus, NJ - none found. We know there were a few different dealerships owned by a few brothers after the father passed it on to them. It was also rumored that they sponsored one of the Deuces as a drag car. They sold at least 2, a Cran-Red 4sp and a Cortez Silver 4sp. What can you find out about those??
M

Musclecarkid
08-02-2003, 03:17 AM
I know a friend of mine worked at Wallace Chevy back in 69-70. He told me he remembers when the 70 Yenko Novas came in he would go to Linden Airport to pick up the new cars for dealer prep. If my memory is correct he and a fellow employee raced a few down Rt.1-9 in Linden on there way back to the dealership. It may have been green? or silver?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
08-05-2003, 01:42 PM
This is the second instance where a reference has been made to picking up new cars at the airport for Wallace. What was the process of delivering new cars to Wallace? Why didn't the transporter just drop them off at the dealer? The Yenko Deuces would have come in via the Yenko transporter/hauler, so was there a requirement to deliver them to the airport for some reason?

See this link for more info on the Yenko Deuces from Wallace.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=3rd_gen;action=display;num=105995919 4

Musclecarkid
08-05-2003, 06:12 PM
Marlin,I think Wallace used Linden Airport to store their overflow inventory of new cars. Its quite possible they may have owned or leased storage space at the airport. My friend worked in and around the Wallace body shop or dealer prep department back in 68-70? He has told me stories of his ventures to Linden Airport to pickup new cars for prep. Some of those new cars just happen to be the 70 Yenko Deuces. I told Dan P. I would call my friend and get his whole story on his days at Wallace Chevrolet. More to follow, stay tuned!!!!! Kevin

Jeff H
08-05-2003, 06:30 PM
Good stuff guys. Keep it coming. I know it gets hard to talk to people who were there back in the day and then take their information at face value. I can't remember details of what I did last month so I know I would be pretty sketchy on details back to 68-70. But when you get multiple people retaining the same details it makes for some good history.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
08-05-2003, 06:31 PM
Thanks Kevin, I was confused - I thought you meant the Newark airport! The Linden airport makes sense, the owners of Wallace Chev. were also pilots I believe, so they would have interest in the local airport. Hey, at least it wasn't a plutonium site like Yenko's holding lot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Musclecarkid
08-05-2003, 06:43 PM
Hey Marlin, Did they ever get that Yenko lot cleaned up? I'm thinking we could make some money on Ebay. We could sell little lead containers filled with Yenko dirt from that holding lot. Remember the canned radiation for sale at Carlisle after the Three Mile Island accident? Hmmmm! Any investment partners out there? I can see it now......Original Yenko Dirt......Stripes on the can.....Comes in Six Original Colors.....Buy Now!!!!......$1500.Kevin

bob f
02-22-2011, 11:11 PM
my 70 Blue Yenko came from Wallace. [email protected]

PeteLeathersac
02-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Zone # 35
Dealer Code # 327

Wallace Chevrolet
355 East Linden Ave.
Linden New Jersey 7036
(Info @ 1968)

<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif