PDA

View Full Version : NICB

Dan 68 Chevy II
08-11-2001, 12:09 AM
Whats the history on the NICB,when did it start,was the insurance companys the ones that started this and what actual imformation is stored there.I've seen NICB
mention by a collector of rare muscle cars.A friend of mind just found a 70 hemi car and tried,do you need special powers or just people in high places.

COPO
08-11-2001, 01:08 AM
My understanding is you need to be in law enforcement to gain access to their records. Perhaps an insurance agent could get the information?? I have reports on a couple of my cars. The only information you get is the shipping date and the original dealership it was sent to. Sometimes the records are incomplete or not accurrate. The NICB report for my Yenko Camaro showed the correct shipping date, but listed a boat dealer in Alabama as the original dealer. An extensive title search later revealed the car was sold at Colonial Chev. in VA.

There are a couple of car enthusiasts in law enforcement that are on the boards that could provide much more info about NICB.

Dan 68 Chevy II
08-11-2001, 03:35 AM
Just so happens this guy with the 70 Hemi used to be a cop,had friends still in the Police department, tried to help,but that didn't work.When are your reports dated? Are they recent,things could have changed as far getting this imfomation.Seems to me the average Joe looking to document where his car was shipped to and the date it was shipped for harmless restoration history purposes don't stand a chance in Hell!! I will call my friend tommorrow and tell them the NICB is for the rich and famous and it exist for the chosen few.

Dan 68 Chevy II
08-11-2001, 03:49 AM
One last thing , title searches , most states last 12 years,except the great state of Caifornia.Went back to 68 for me.68 SS Chevy II Nova 396 375hp 4spd black plate Ca car.

COPO
08-11-2001, 03:54 AM
Dan, my information from NICB is fairly recent. I think you need to find someone in law enforcement who works w/stolen cars regularly. They will know how to get the information and how the system works. I think the Police Department needs to be a subscriber to the NICB service. I'm not really familiar with how it works and was just lucky someone offered to help me out. I don't think being rich or famous would be particularly useful because I'm neither. Like many things in life it's a matter of knowing the right people. Hopefully someone else will chime in who is more familiar with the nuances of obtaining the information. I think the shipping date and dealership info would primarily be valuable to someone trying to document a Yenko, Baldwin/Motion, Nickey or Dana car.

On title searches I have had good luck with VA, IL, MO, NY, VA, NC they all have gone back 30+ years. I know each state is a bit different and it also depends who you talk to on the phone at the DMV and whether they decide to help you. A good attitude (ie. kissing their a**) goes a long way w/these govt. workers.

[Edited by COPO (08-10-2001 at 10:54 PM).]

Dan 68 Chevy II
08-11-2001, 05:02 AM
He called the Main phone number of the NICB operation support in Il and that was useless,remenber this guy was a cop.Search National Insurance Crime Bureau and it will give you zone phone numbers and there main number.By the way just because your car isn't a Yenko,Harrell,Dana,Nickey,COPO or Motion shouldn't that person that is restoreing there old muscle car have the imformation if they chose,I mean isn't this whats it's all about haveing acess and knowledge of your car no matter what kind it is.NY title search is no longer 30+ years,Check and you will find out.I have a idea, start a imformation base where it list all DMV phone #'s for each state and people can list the state they searched,date of search,years they were
able to go back to,year and date of car and any additional comments about the process and this way maybe we could help other people to find imformation they wouldn't normally no how to get, or why bother their not SUPERCARS.

Charley Lillard
08-11-2001, 06:23 AM
Dan got a Chip on his Shoulder ?

Kurt S
08-11-2001, 06:48 AM
49 of 50 DMV's:
http://www.usedcarbuyingtips.com/dmv/forms.html

[Edited by Kurt S (08-11-2001 at 01:48 AM).]

Dan 68 Chevy II
08-11-2001, 12:20 PM
Charley , no chips here, I like pretzels.Thanks Kurt for states DMV,maybe that will help someone in the search of their car.

Mr70
08-11-2001, 01:09 PM
I sent $4.00 to Missouri DMV in 1996 for my 1970 Chevelle.Got back my VIN# and all the owners from 1970 to today.
Now they won't do this for the general public today as you know.
But I found it interesting that they sent me 4 pages of VIN#'s from other cars in my sequence.
I must have almost 100 extra VIN#'s.
They did not have to be so generous with the VIN#'s.A little more discretion on thier part,but not to the point where they won't mail any out today.

Dan 68 Chevy II
08-11-2001, 06:21 PM
Was the affadavit green in color and where do I get a copy?

JoeC
08-11-2001, 07:19 PM
NICB has a web site with a lot of info.
http://www.nicb.org/services/services.html

Dan 68 Chevy II
08-12-2001, 05:09 AM
Joe thanks for printing the Web site for the NICB,my friend called the main #,had police identification number and still couldn't get imformation,except they did verify the vin# and said that the car was not stolen.They would by know means give him the Dealer the car was shipped to.They did say they get at least 50 calls per day requesting this imfo.By the way I had a relative of mine that's a Detective try and was told they need to log a case # on to go thru the states computers,which means they could get in trouble if there no on going case of investigation on the car.I was told try customs ,someone in importing or exporting overseas ,like maybe someone that owns a shipping business would have possible friends in US customs,is this true?

Belair62
08-12-2001, 05:46 AM
My brother works in Law Enforcement and I asked him to get me one of these reports. The P.D. he works for wasn't real eager to bother with this. Not sure if it's a hassle or what but he says they rarely use it.I did have to sign an affadavit thet I am both rich and famous to use the service.

68SS396
08-12-2001, 08:41 AM
The person that did my appraisel told me how to do a title search correctly. He said there is a couple of key words and phrases you need to use. These are :"COMPLETE AND CERTIFIED TITLE HISTORY". By doing a complete and certified search this means this persons supervisor will need to put his initials on this search and he will be more apt to do a more thorough search, as opposed to a "good enough" search. I have not donethis search yet but the person appraising my car said it has always worked for him.

Belair62
08-12-2001, 09:10 PM
It all makes sense if this is the procedure. The Detective who my brother asked was not at all interested in doing this for me....If an active case was needed I'm sure that would be why he did not feel like bothering and wouldn't want to initial something that had nothing to do with law enforcement.Dan,I never got a report ! No money or fame in the world could have had him bother for me. I wanted it for a non-SUPERCAR.I was curious as to what dealer sold my 62 Chebby new.

MikeA
08-13-2001, 01:14 AM
I have an "uncle" that is a retired police detective (New Jersey). I asked him to run VINs for me and he stated that he would have his old partner perform the searches. I asked for VIN searches and a not NICB report. Well, things have change since he retired because his partner would not perform the searches because the officer running the searches must enter an ID number. The State Attorney General's office supposedly monitors the activity on the system and will contact an officer performing œtoo many” searches on the system. Apparently, an officer can get in trouble for doing searches not related to police work. I probably would encounter the same problem if I asked for a NICB report.

Dan 68 Chevy II
08-13-2001, 03:37 AM
Thanks Everybody for trying to help,I really mean that.
Dan Palchanes